• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USA55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    I'm looking into getting one of these two rifles and have heard great things about both. I know that the Type 53 is a carbine model, but I still have strong interest for both. Tell what you think.
    Thanks
    ARJ Defense ad

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    Both are great rifles. The 91/30 is usually easier to find in good condition than the type 53 is. That being said, the Type 53 doesn't suffer from barrel harmonics issues when fired without the bayonet extended like the 91/30 does in some cases. Also, many people believe that the type 53 is lower quality and that's just a rumor. Either way they are great fun. When it comes time to clean the cosmoline off of them hot water is your friend!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You best bet is to compare the Mosin Nagant Model of 1944 (M-44) to the Type 53, they are the closest to each other. Those rifles tend to cost a bit more than the 91/30's.

For the prices out there now, you can just about buy both for under $275.

The M44 and Type 53 are the modernized versions of the first one. Easier to handle, lighter weight, bigger flash due to unburnt powder, acceptable accuracy to moderate distances and they shoot the same inexpensive ammunition.

USA55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Believe it or not the Type 53 and 9130 are within $10 bucks of each other! So price isn't the issue, I just want to know which would be smarter to invest in out of the two.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It'll be a looooong time before either is an investment. They're fun guns, and cheap, which makes them collectible in their way. But as an investment...? Nah.

Step up another hundred or so and track down a Finnish Mosin. Blows the commie stuff out of the water. There are also a lot less of them, so you might actually have a little bit of an investment compared to, "I have one of the 5 billion 91/30s produced in the USSR!"

For a fun rifle, I'd probably try getting a Type 53 with a good barrel on it. The 91/30 is huge.

USA55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2013
    Guess I misused the word investment haha I guess I mean purchase. But a type 53 or a 9130 with a hex receiver?

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Guess I misused the word investment haha I guess I mean purchase. But a type 53 or a 9130 with a hex receiver?

If you find a 91/30 with a hex receiver, let me know. They're getting scarce lately, and IIRC have always been more collectible/valuable because they're less common, and people either turn them into reproduction sniper rifles or bring them back to their original sniper configuration (an original sniper Mosin will -always- have a hex receiver, any "sniper" Mosin with a round receiver is a fake).

Personally, I'd say to get the Mosin anyway. Most of the Type 53s I've seen are in bad shape, and I've had one literally fall apart in my hands because some friggin' moron had missed the massive patch of dry-rot in the wood. If you want something that's higher quality than a Russian or Chinese version, look for one of the Finnish copies, like the M28 (same model used by Simo Hayha during the Winter War, FWIW). Hell, saw a guy on here yesterday who is/was selling an M28 with a hex receiver.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Most of the Finnish guns have hex receivers because they're built off captured Russian WWI rifles. Some of the rifles they deemed good enough to reissue during WWII were taken off dead/captured Soviets, but guns like the 28 and 39 should be hex receiver guns.

I need to check the date on my 39's receiver. I think it was 1913 or something like that.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm sure there are some nice Type 53s out there, but all the ones I've seen are beat up. Pretty much all the 91/30s I've seen were arsenal refreshed before they were put into storage for the last 70 years. If you want a short one, I'd recommend buying a 91/30 and hack saw ;)

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I have a MO double dated 91/30 and an M38. New to guns but shopped around quite a bit before buying anything and Type 53s are usually beat to hell and back stock and bore wise. If you want a carbine look for postwar M44s or Finish stuff but its more $$

If classic's M44s are as in nice of condition as the M38 I picked up a few weeks back from them Id suggest going with one of those, but look for some reviews online to see what kind of pictures are out there as I have no idea how they are turning out for people. The M38 I received has perfect bluing and the bore is almost brand new.

m.c.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    I have two 91/30s, two Type 53s, and one M38 I just picked up. The T53 is a great gun (relative claim I know) as is the 91/30. Both are cheap, fun to shoot, and easy to maintain, and both will leave you shoulder just shy of pulverized.

Since I doubt either are priced above $200, why not buy both?

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Well, it you want a REALLY short one, there's always this option.

I've been curious about that "variant" of Mosin (called an Obrez, IIRC). Would it be classified as an AOW, or an SBR? Thinking SBR, because you could technically put a new stock on it, but the fact that you fire it like a pistol has me wondering.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've been curious about that "variant" of Mosin (called an Obrez, IIRC). Would it be classified as an AOW, or an SBR? Thinking SBR, because you could technically put a new stock on it, but the fact that you fire it like a pistol has me wondering.

It's an AOW, since it's converted to a pistol. Would only be a $5 stamp.

Top Bottom