• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Need actual insight from those who have experimented with different weights of 9mm rounds in the same pistol.

I was at a local gun store and the guy behind the counter had lots to say. I was looking at a Sig P365. The more I heard from some on here the more intrigued I was. And being a Sig fan boi, I had to take a closer look. I asked if it was snappy, being that its a small pistol. I have shot some small ones, and the Taurus, Keltec and another I cant recall the brand of, were small guns, and very snappy when fired. My Glock 26 is not IMO.

Its generally been my experience that the larger the bullet, the higher the recoil. I shot 240g 44 bullets most of the time, because the 300g bullets had more recoil. The 180g 40 cal bullets had more recoil than the 140-150g bullets.

But this guy tells me to shoot the heavier bullets in that gun, as the recoil would be lighter.

Have I lost my mind? Or this guy full of crap? I have been working lots of hours lately and kind of have tunnel vision on my work stuff, but it seems he is off on that one.

What has been your experience?
    Guns International

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    He's either confused, or didn't know what he was talking about .

ETA: Of course I generally don't know what I'm talking about either.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    The burning speed of the powder can also affect recoil. A faster burning powder may have more of a snap than a slower burning powder. Then you can add the weight of the bullet into the mix. if we go back to every action has an opposite but equal reaction. The bullet weight and gases propelling the bullet are going to help determine the recoil. Recoil energy determines how hard the recoil is going to hit your hand. Recoil velocity determines how fast it is going to hit the hand. You have to factor in handgun weight also. my 9mm recoil isn't bad at all in my CZ 75Bbut that short barreled S&W .38 talks to my hand. Then we have perceived recoil. A guy with huge arse hands may perceive the recoil of that snubbie to not be as bad as I feel it. While it might feel like it slaps or hammers my hand. I don't think bullet weight alone determines what the recoil will be. Powders can affect it too I guess. I am not a science guy...lol. So if there are some holes in my explanation please feel free to correct them. I have shot commercial training loads for the snubbie and they feel better to my hand.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I get the theory stuff. I don't want to buy the 365, then decide I don't like it. Curious if some have tried different bullet weights in some of the lighter 9mms out there.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    Find a place that rents one and tries it. Peoples perception of recoil is going to be different. I could try the 365 and say the recoil is not bad. You could try it and it might feel worse to you. jes sayin....

LongGunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2019
    DFW
    I have heard this claim before.. So when I began to play in USPSA I wanted to try it out. Afterwards I went and purchased regular factory loads 9mm in 115, 124, 135, & 147 grains. Very unscientifically I shot mags back to back with the different grain ammo. What I found was some differences in what I perceived as recoil. I will say I found that in my gun (xdm9) I liked the 124 the most. The recoil signature was slightly less of a snap and more of a push. I cant say that the recoil was significantly less, but its signature was different.

From being around USPSA for a short amount of time, I would say the velocity has a lot to do with it. There is a reason that guys that are really into USPSA handload to try to get right at the lower limit of the power factor limit for the class they are shooting. (Power Factor = Bullet Weight X Velocity).

With all that said, try out the gun before you buy if you can. Bore axis in relation to your hand, what recoil you are used to, etc. can affect the perceived recoil.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Recoil is a totality of bullet, powder, powder load, grip angle as well as how well you can grip it, barrel angle to your hand and arm and how high above the hand the barrel is and angle of the wrist.....
    And probably several other factors. Never seen anyone with a formula to figure it out. What feels great to one person may feel terrible to others.

Only way I know of is to shoot it and decide for yourself.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have seen a few different formulas to figure recoil but they are just math, not real world functions. As stated above, the gun's design and fit plus powder burn rates play a big part that equations can't figure in.

I can tell you when it comes to factory ammo in the big boomers (44 Magnum, 500 S&W, etc.) the lighter bullets generally have higher recoil. Much higher.

Velocity plays a bigger part in many physics equations than mass does so it makes sense.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Bullshit.

Bullet weight is only ONE part of the recoil.

I load heavy, 150-155 gr bullets, in the 9mm with a pinch of fast burning powder. They have very light recoil. Reloaders know if you want to reduce recoil use a heavy for caliber bullet with a small amount of powder.

I could also make that same bullet have very heavy recoil.

BTW, I have a Sig P365 and could show ya the difference.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have your brass set aside still. Been working 14 hour days of late. I'll be free here in a couple weeks.

Would love to shoot your 365.

Need you to educate me on the molds too. I have two buckets of them.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Lots of variables. I load a 147gr. bullet in 9mm with a small volume of Titegroup. Those are my bunny fart loads. My 9 year old daughter shoots them with hardly more visible recoil than a 22/45. With a can on a Walther PPX you might mistake it for a paintball gun.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Need actual insight from those who have experimented with different weights of 9mm rounds in the same pistol.

I was at a local gun store and the guy behind the counter had lots to say. I was looking at a Sig P365. The more I heard from some on here the more intrigued I was. And being a Sig fan boi, I had to take a closer look. I asked if it was snappy, being that its a small pistol. I have shot some small ones, and the Taurus, Keltec and another I cant recall the brand of, were small guns, and very snappy when fired. My Glock 26 is not IMO.

Its generally been my experience that the larger the bullet, the higher the recoil. I shot 240g 44 bullets most of the time, because the 300g bullets had more recoil. The 180g 40 cal bullets had more recoil than the 140-150g bullets.

But this guy tells me to shoot the heavier bullets in that gun, as the recoil would be lighter.

Have I lost my mind? Or this guy full of crap? I have been working lots of hours lately and kind of have tunnel vision on my work stuff, but it seems he is off on that one.

What has been your experience?
    Competition shooters will typically shoot 147 grain or even a bit higher for 9mms. It has lower powder levels, reducing recoil.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I wouldn't worry about it. In my experience (shooting 124 gr HST and 147) the felt recoil difference is negligible.

I can't really tell the difference in my 228. But the 365 is much smaller, and I have a history of ditching smaller pistols. I have big hands, and the ability to grip is a factor. The offset to this is the 12 round mag for the 365 that can give you more to grip.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I can't really tell the difference in my 228. But the 365 is much smaller, and I have a history of ditching smaller pistols. I have big hands, and the ability to grip is a factor. The offset to this is the 12 round mag for the 365 that can give you more to grip.

I have a Shield and a Glock 43 which I shoot with the aforementioned HST 147 and 124. Carry ammo is much more snappy than range ammo of course, but I don't think the bullet weight there makes a huge difference. Agree the 12 round mag is nice. You should get it!

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I don’t know if this is helpful or not, but when I used to reload .380 I found some reload data for 115 grain jacketed bullets. I loaded some - maybe 20 rounds and when loaded to the table powder weight (I used to reload mostly with Bullseye and Blue Dot back then) they were painful when fired from our Sig230. Beyond snappy.

Top Bottom