• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Re Bus or Train travel: My elderly M-I-L insists that she was treated to a TSA-style pat-down and metal-detector search before boarding a Greyhound Bus at the terminal just South of Downtown Houston. BUT, a knowledgeable Friend, who lives up near Cleveland, TX, tells me that he frequently travels by bus with his concealed handgun and has had zero search or inquiry. Does anyone know the real deal on this? Also, I have been told that CHL carry is forbidden on AmTrack, but that there are no searches or detectors; anyone know about this ?
    Guns International

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have been told that law prevents Amtrak carry, but I see no law against it. As you travel through others states, obey their laws.

Based on what I have been told, your MIL may be "exaggerating" the bus thing. I do not believe her, but in the interest of marital harmony you might want to avoid such a statement.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Back around the year 2000 I went from Tulsa to Houston via Greyhound. I've always have carried a knife checked the handgun.

In Dallas we all were asked to get off the bus and were TSAed with patdown and a hand held metal detector as part of routine. I raised my hand and told them about the knife and I had to check my knife in baggage under the bus.

So I can confirm they do random spot checks.

The TSA agent had no idea how to operate that wand. If I'd not spoken up before I saw how bad she was at it and with a bit of thought and I could have gotten though like I did at Fenway Park.

Side note I'll never go bus anywhere again. I had some romantic ideas of what it'd be like. I felt less safe and was around a rougher crowd than I was when I was booked in Travis County jail.

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Articles: TSA Now Storming Public Places 8,000 Times a Year

The TSA clearly intends for these out-of-nowhere swarms by its officers at community transit centers, bus stops and public events to become a routine and accepted part of American life.
    The TSA has conducted 8,000 of these security sweeps across the country in the past year alone, TSA chief John Pistole told a Senate committee June 14. They are part of its VIPR (Visible Intermodal Prevention and Response) program, which targets public transit related places.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Amtrak says "Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage."

At one point, Amtrak banned all weapons; but in 2009 Congress passed a law to allow customers to carry weapons in their checked bags following pretty much the same policy at airlines.

Per the above link, you need to let them know 24 hours in advance, present it for inspection, locked case and all that.

Considering all that, I would say concealed carry on trains is not allowed.

Per Greyhound policy, guns, ammunition and even replica firearms (plus a lot of other things) are not permitted on their buses.

Last edited:

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    Is there a law that prevents me from carrying on Amtrak or Greyhound?

Texas PC 46.15 Nonapplicability (b)(2) specifically says that PC 46.02 does not apply if the license holder is traveling. As long as the Greyhound rider stays inside Texas, I could see how that would make concealed carry legal.

However, Greyhound prohibits firearms on their buses. I don't know what legal ramifications one might run into if found to be carrying a firearm.

Also, my legal search skills are fairly undeveloped, so I was unable to find any laws that might apply to a concealed handgun licensee carrying on a motor coach. Laws may exist which address the issue; I was unable to find them.

phil

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas PC 46.15 Nonapplicability (b)(2) specifically says that PC 46.02 does not apply if the license holder is traveling. As long as the Greyhound rider stays inside Texas, I could see how that would make concealed carry legal.

However, Greyhound prohibits firearms on their buses. I don't know what legal ramifications one might run into if found to be carrying a firearm.

Also, my legal search skills are fairly undeveloped, so I was unable to find any laws that might apply to a concealed handgun licensee carrying on a motor coach. Laws may exist which address the issue; I was unable to find them.

phil
    Yeah, 45.15 (b) allows travelers and CHL holders to carry. Specifically, I am curious about any federal law. I don't think, based on my own research, that federal law prohibits Amtrak carry. The law referenced earlier in this thread simply forced Amtrak to not have rules preventing people to check firearms. Greyhound is not unlawful, either.

The US Code is huge, though, and I could be missing something.

Unless greyhound or amtrak give 30.06 notice, Texas law allows carry.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    EXACTLY ! I am only concerned with the LAW(s). I could care less about policies and desires. And, thanks to those who did some research to find real answers.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Yeah, 45.15 (b) allows travelers and CHL holders to carry. Specifically, I am curious about any federal law. I don't think, based on my own research, that federal law prohibits Amtrak carry. The law referenced earlier in this thread simply forced Amtrak to not have rules preventing people to check firearms. Greyhound is not unlawful, either.

The US Code is huge, though, and I could be missing something.

Unless greyhound or amtrak give 30.06 notice, Texas law allows carry.

Does Texas Law Shield offer legal advise in these types of matters? Would they cover the defense if one were arrested carrying on Greyhound or Amtrack? (sorry for the tangent, but we are talking legal stuff so it kind of ties in)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Does Texas Law Shield offer legal advise in these types of matters? Would they cover the defense if one were arrested carrying on Greyhound or Amtrack? (sorry for the tangent, but we are talking legal stuff so it kind of ties in)

One could call and ask. The law shield coverage is for a use of the gun. Any defense for an arrest for carrying unlawfully would be for a fee, I imagine.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom