• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Here is a hypothetical debate with a liberal about gun control. Let me know how I can improve my argument and where I completely screwed up.

Liberal: Why can't you gun nuts just accept the common sense measurement of universal background checks?! Help keep the guns out of the criminal's hands!

Me: Universal background checks won't do anything to keep criminals from acquiring guns, because the "black market" doesn't exactly obey the law.

Liberal: I get that, but at least it would be a step in the right direction.

Me: What direction are you trying to go here? All a universal background check would do is be the first step to establishing a registry, that will ultimately lead to confiscation.

Liberal: You gun idiots need to stop assuming things like that, we just want people to be able to feel safe in their own neighborhoods!

Me: Diane Feinstein, a champion of stupid gun control measures, is on record as saying she wants all guns gone. In New York, where there is already a gun registry, they are using that info to issue notices to certain people to turn in certain guns.

Liberal: Well maybe a gun free society is a safer society

Me: Check your facts. Look at the FBI crime stats compared to the Home Office (keeps record of crime stats for England and Wales) crime stats. On a per capita level, the US has quite a bit LESS violent crimes than England and Wales, yet England and Wales have ridiculous restrictions on the ownership of firearms.

Liberal: Sure the UK has more violent crimes, but the US has more gun crimes, and I'd much rather have 3 innocent people with a black eye and busted nose after a robbery than 1 innocent person with a bullet to the head after a robbery. We should strive for a gun free society and we would have less murder!

Me: Ever heard of the second amendment?

Liberal: You know the 2nd amendment has the word REGULATED attached to it? It also says the "militia"! You are not part of a militia, and even if you were, it is well within the governments power to regulate as they see fit!

Me: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I know exactly what it says. The part being regulated is the militia, and the word regulate, in that context, means that the militia, in order to be considered "regulated", needs to make sure they have all the necessary accouterments to succeed. Also, let's replace a few words of the second amendment to help you figure out a few things. "A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the health of the nation, the right of the people to keep and eat cereal shall not be infringed.

Who gets the cereal, the breakfast or the people?" (stole that line from a member here lol)

Liberal: Ok fine, if you want to play semantics, what about the fact that the second amendment was written when muskets were used and not assault weapons like the AR-15? Turn in your AR-15, cause that isn't protected at all!

Me: Under that logic, nothing on TV is free speech, since there wasn't TV back then. The government gets to control everything said on TV.

Liberal: Why do you NEED an AR-15 that can shoot 30 times before reloading?! If you can't hit your target after 30 shots, you shouldn't own a gun! (I've stolen a few lines from members of this very forum, cause they were good at getting the point across)

Me: I could ask the same thing about all kinds of useless crap you have...but the thing is...the 2nd amendment protects my right to have an AR-15...it is, after all, call the Bill of RIGHTS...not the Bill of NEEDS.

Liberal: What if we repeal the 2nd amendment? We've repealed an amendment before, why can't we repeal the 2nd?

Me: "...shall not be infringed" A government is there to PROTECT these rights, and these rights are there to protect us from the government!

Liberal: Why do you live in fear like the government is going to come for you and imprison you or something?! Get a grip, it won't happen! You just sound like a conspiracy lunatic!

Me: Surely, after everything that has come to light over the past year, you do not STILL trust the government?!

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Don't let them label you and turn the argument into a personal attack.

If they can find some little reason to discount you personally, then they control the subject of the argument. The debate becomes a matter of defending yourself against their prejudices and catchphrases. They stand a better chance of getting you frustrated over being on the defensive about your beliefs, color, religion, social status, education level, physical characteristics, voting history, preferred hobbies/sports, and all matter of other non-important things to the discussion. If they try, call them out on it and get back to the facts, they hate that. Try to maintain the high road and don't jump into the mud to play their game. (Of course many will say that is what is currently wrong with the American political system, one side has not fought fire with fire and tried to use facts instead while getting the crap beat out of them.)

Good Luck,

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    They don't care about facts. Everything from them is "i feel" fill in the blank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    "Universal Background Checks" are neither universal nor true background checks.

They're not universal because any two people can transfer a gun and no one will know about it unless that gun is used in a crime and recovered. The only way it can be universal is through universal registration and frequent renewals, with police verifying continued ownership of the guns. And with millions of firearms in circulation already, there is no way they will all be voluntarily registered.

They're not background checks because they only stop people who have been identified (to one extent or another) by the state as a criminal. And what's the rate of unsolved violent crimes? 40%? The rapist/murderer who could buy a gun in a private transfer could buy one from an FFL, too, unless he was already caught and convicted. A background check that might catch criminals BEFORE they act would involve interviews with police, psychiatrists, family, neighbors, co-workers, searching financial and academic records, etc. And the fact that any of those people could stop the transfer is a definite infringement of the right to keep and bear arms.

And once we create the registration and Soviet-style background checks, ask the liberal if we could do all of that on prospective parents to make sure they don't abuse their children, and then on the children themselves to find any potential criminals as soon as possible. And if the liberal really wants to live in a country that would do that, they can save themselves a lot of time and work by moving to North Korea.

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    "We should strive for a gun free society and we would have less murder! "

This is an appealing argument to a liberal, but it falls under the old adage of "if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

Here's how I would approach this one:

1. We've tried a gun-free society. In Washington D.C., they completely and entirely banned handguns. The murder rate skyrocketed in the subsequent years.

2. The reason a gun-free society isn't some safe panacea of utopia is because guns in the hands of legal owners are not used to kill people. Guns are used to STOP CRIME. Obama ordered a study of the effect of guns in society to be done by the Centers for Disease Control. They did the study (which you can read here) and concluded that guns in the hands of private citizens are used to prevent crimes between 500,000 and 3 million times per year. (Be sure to emphasize that this was from the study that Obama ordered to be done by executive directive!) So if you took all the guns away from all the legal gun owners, you could expect to see at least 500,000 and as many as three million more crimes committed each year.

3. Guns are most effective to stop crime when used by women, the elderly, or small-framed individuals. In a world with no guns, the bigger and stronger will be able to dominate and run over the smaller and weaker of us. Having a defensive firearm overcomes any physical advantage a criminal may have over a mother, a grandmother, a man in the wheelchair, or any other person that the criminal may otherwise have been capable of physically overpowering.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    The biggest obstacle to arguing with a liberal is proving that a. you are not a racist and b. the government does not mean well. Either way, it's a lost cause.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Homicides with guns have actually decreased substantially, like 49%+ in the past 20yrs. The 2 studies commissioned by the Obama administration themselves within the past year by the DOJ and NIH both supported those figures and both concluded that there has been a SHARP decrease in gun deaths over the past few decades, even while there has been a SUBSTANTIAL increase in the number of gun owners and privately owned firearms being purchased. So quite literally EVERY single piece of peer-reviewed, legitimate statistics shows that there quite literally is NO problem.

If they want to wage a crusade against something, try throwing this at them. Every single year anywhere from 98,000 to as much as 195,000 (in the past 10-15yrs) people die in hospitals as a result of medical malpractice. So quite literally, medical malpractice results in a GENOCIDE level of deaths every single year in this country.....and it's never a hot button topic.

The other angle to come at it from is the fact that the US is one of the only countries in the world that is 180 degrees the opposite in concept from almost all others. What I mean by that is in other societies, ultimately everything is focused on the group, the collective, the society as a whole. There is no individuality. In the US, the group does not matter. Everything is about the individual. We do not sacrifice the individual because of the will and desire of the group. We do not sacrifice the freedom, well-being, and basic human rights of the individual because some other groups or parts of society determine they do not like them or are afraid of them. In extreme cases, such as violent felons and other convicted criminals, they give up those rights and freedoms as a result of their crimes against society. Other than that, the individual rules.

Ultimately just keep in mind that many of if not the majority of people you might be arguing these points with are actually suffering from severe mental disorders, much of the time due to decades of and in fact generations of social conditioning from society as well as social conditioning from friends and family throughout their entire life since birth. Quite literally brainwashed since birth to ignore and actually fight against what is basic human instinct. In effect, they are fighting against the right to defend themselves and the right to even exist. They quite literally fight for their own enslavement. It is pure, unadulterated irrationality, and often these people cannot be convinced and cannot be saved. This is a generational problem, and one that will take generations to correct.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    The biggest obstacle to arguing with a liberal is proving that a. you are not a racist and b. the government does not mean well. Either way, it's a lost cause.
    I don't argue with liberals about guns to necessarily change their minds, but to reach the wider audience and let those undecided folks hear some actual facts instead of libs getting it all their own way to spew their false BS.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I hate to repeat what has already been suggested but I'd like to weigh in, too.

The dialog in the OP is good, intelligent and factual. Thumbs up!

I do not know a single person who would engage me in a conversation like that. Perhaps I send them packing without realizing it but I don't know a single Libtard, anti gun person. Not ONE!

If someone DID engage me in a conversation like that, I'd simply tell them to F off. From experience in posting in Yahoo, a Liberal stink hole, Liberals who decide that they can not change your mind, immediately engage in personal attacks and name calling. It's not worth the aggravation. F Off works much better!

Flash

iamsamcrawdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Aransas Pass
    I had to dump some "Facebook" friends who got offended by my love of guns and 2nd amendment beliefs. most of them I haven't seen in over 20 years so I'm not heartbroken at all.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom