Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Went to this place when in HI not
    long ago....

1715043435478.jpeg

B2B25A05-F45D-4211-B88A-526B3FBDEF82.jpeg

Place was filled with Japanese and Australian tourists.

Renting a gun was not cheap even with limited rounds.

Guy asked me where I was from. I told him and he said there was probably nothing there I would be interested in paying to shoot. He was right.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    There is absolutely nothing more terrifying on a range than an armed Chinese tourist.
    <>

I’l raise you one: In the late 1990’s, a small aviation school in Cameron County, based at the Cameron County Airport near Port Isabel, got the contract for a Chinese airline to provide initial basic pilot training for their civil aviation candidates.

A week or ten days into the training, the students were required to begin their “solo’’ flights, and in English, as the ICAO mandates that ALL air traffic communications worldwide be in spoken English.

Integral is that they land at several U S airports, usually in small towns at first, and ask any U S Pilot to sign their logbook as proof they had landed there.

Unfortunately, the English they had been taught at home in Asia went from minimal to absurd. Similar to their understandings of aircraft systems and aviation procedures.

Envision the scenes when a ChiComm would appear from the sky in places like Falfurrias, Robstown, or Rockport, try to request signatures, then have to be taught by surprised locals how to restart their airplane and depart, using impromptu sign language.

”Terrifying’’ is quite the understatement.

<>

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    There is absolutely nothing more terrifying on a range than an armed Chinese tourist.

Amen to that. I had twelve of them come out to the pistol range in a group last month, ...carrying the caddy that indicates " Rental gun". Some were using Google translate into their phone. The don't understand safety- at all. Cease Fire? means nothing. Shooting is another selfie-session. Regular customers take a break fro awhile when they show up.

The Brits are pretty good- they listen to comands and understand. they told me they need to keep the receipt for shooting as when they get checked at airport, gunpowder sniffer will register and they need to show justifiable cause as to why.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The Brits are multigenerational fools & crooks.

When Hitler threatened to invade as a follow-up to the air bombing ‘’Battle of Britain’; they first sent a plea to the World to send them civilian. weapons & ammo.

Dad, who was there as an USAAC Intelligence Officer, watched them then take a bulldozer and bury all those arms the free world had sent them.

During the War!

’’FOOLS !’’

<>

Last edited:

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Brits Shoot Guns for the first time in TEXAS!

Thanks for replies. Funny and interesting. Regret in 2008 while working in Seoul South Korea not trying out their gun range at the site of 1988 Olympics. It appeared to be place for Koreans to shoot as they have strict gun laws for civilians and can only rent guns.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I worked with a Brit that was visiting his DFW 'flight attendant' sister.
    He worked at the Jaguar repair shop with me for a while and 'overstayed' his VISA.

He ended up marrying a gal and started collecting British firearms.(the ones you can't own in England)

He did divorce her after a while and moved back to the UK.(he sold the guns)
    I still keep in contact

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Regret in 2008 while working in Seoul South Korea not trying out their gun range at the site of 1988 Olympics. It appeared to be place for Koreans to shoot as they have strict gun laws for civilians and can only rent guns.
    Olympic shooting venues are inspirationally good. Most people can't fathom the idea of spending multiple millions to build just the airgun range, I know, but if you ever shoot on one you'll spend the rest of your life feeling like you're slumming at 99% of ranges in the USA.

I've built one qualifying range for Olympians. It was a temp setup with a seriously low budget but, even with those constraints, it wound up better equipped and nicer to use than the vast majority of ranges we use.

Since guns are illegal or tightly controlled in most countries, they become toys for the rich. Well, rich people like nice venues for their hobbies. Olympic ranges definitely fall in with that group.

tl;dr - You missed out, big time.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Olympic shooting venues are inspirationally good. Most people can't fathom the idea of spending multiple millions to build just the airgun range, I know, but if you ever shoot on one you'll spend the rest of your life feeling like you're slumming at 99% of ranges in the USA.

I've built one qualifying range for Olympians. It was a temp setup with a seriously low budget but, even with those constraints, it wound up better equipped and nicer to use than the vast majority of ranges we use.

Since guns are illegal or tightly controlled in most countries, they become toys for the rich. Well, rich people like nice venues for their hobbies. Olympic ranges definitely fall in with that group.

tl;dr - You missed out, big time.

As nice as those places are, they'd fall apart in an instant if you put the amount of traffic your average US indoor range sees, with the types of firearms typically seen.

Shit, a good ventilation system costs what, 30-40k per lane? Then you add in the maintenance and repairs needed... Iirc the arms room (now Texas Gun Club) required a several million dollar overhaul in their ventilation system alone.

TheSinfulSaint

TheSinfulSaint
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    McKinney
    I have folks visiting from overseas every now and then and it is scary what they think about firearms and ownership. This has been taught to the level most people believe it.

They love going to the range and enjoying but never change their opinion.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Amen to that. I had twelve of them come out to the pistol range in a group last month, ...carrying the caddy that indicates " Rental gun". Some were using Google translate into their phone. The don't understand safety- at all. Cease Fire? means nothing. Shooting is another selfie-session. Regular customers take a break fro awhile when they show up.

The Brits are pretty good- they listen to comands and understand. they told me they need to keep the receipt for shooting as when they get checked at airport, gunpowder sniffer will register and they need to show justifiable cause as to why.
    Gunpowder sniffer! Ah, Laddie, that IS a sad story.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Gunpowder sniffer! Ah, Laddie, that IS a sad story.
    I've been pulled for an enhanced search because the explosives sniffer produced a positive on my bag. After it happened a couple of times, I started fairly thoroughly cleaning the culprit, a canvas bag I adore, before taking it to the airport. That seems to have worked.

Top Bottom