• majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This is tragic...

Family seeking answers after man shot at gun range | Tulsa World

But it is also a reminder to those who shoot at public ranges that you never really know who that stranger with a gun next to you is or what he is thinking. Those who take expensive firearms to the range may want to consider conceal carrying (if they have a CHL and don't already). This gentleman didn't exactly have overly rare firearms (a Mitchell’s Mausers rifle, a Ruger rifle and two Smith & Wesson pistols) so you never know what thieves may want to steal from you.

And considering the recent suicide at a local range here in San Antonio, those on the range at that time were lucky that this individual was not of the mindset that he was going to take others with him. Much like "suicide by cop," it is feasible that the person's desire to die could cause them to shoot at or even kill other people in the attempt to in turn be killed themselves.

I don't think this is a huge concern nor do I want to make anyone paranoid, but I am sure that the man in the above story never expected it to happen and was in no position to defend himself if there was an opportunity to do so. I am merely suggesting that carrying at the range is something to consider if you are not already doing so.

I am glad this gentleman survived the robbery, and hope he has a quick and complete recovery.
    I also hope that the two scumbags that did this accidentally shoot themselves (or each other) with the guns they stole!

Cheers! M2
    Hurley's Gold

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This is very upsetting. It's unfortunate to see this sort of activity at a place I, personally, feel VERY comfortable at.

That's the very point I am trying to pass on, there are some places we may feel safe and secure at; but in actuality there's more of a threat there than we'd ever care to consider.

I for one don't even feel totally safe on military installations, as the incidents at Ft Hood and more recently Schriever ARB demonstrate the only ones being constrained by Federal law and military regulations/policy are those who obey them. An individual intent on doing harm doesn't care that he/she is violating the law. The so-called "active shooter" training that we get while working on base is a joke, basically it's how to defend yourself after the authorities have taken away your ability to defend yourself!

Never drop your situational awareness, no matter where you are!

Cheers! M2

GoofyCracker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Houston
    This thought has actually crossed my mind before when I bring several guns to shoot. If a large group of "potential customers" plays the part like they are gonna shoot and then all draw their weapons at the same time they could overwhelm the unsuspecting customers and staff. Seems like a movie but in reality it could happen I agree with you majormadmax after reading this I will keep my carry gun hidden while at the range.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Wow those are some brave little peckerheads to rob a guy at a gun range. Crap like this is why I quit going to some ranges, little wanna be gang bangers with wasr10's thinking they are bad ass's waving them all over the place. My sig is on my hip pretty much where ever I go anyway. Even if this guy did have concealed handgun on him it doesn't sound like he had much time to do anything, sounds like they just walked up and shot the poor guy.

RangeDS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    NC
    This is sad. Just a mention: it's important that the range always supervised and for those checking people in for range time they need to be regularly reminded / train. Not always, but in many cases there are behavioral indicators that should call into question someone's intentions. I now the owners of our local range encourage their employees to turn people away when in doubt.

Top Bottom