• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    For some reason Ive been on a rimfire kick the last few months and now Ive got the beginnings of another build before my other ones are done but I didnt have much choice if I was ever going to do it. This is a 10/17HM2 build with the sweet Volquartsen carbon fiber tension barrel. The whole buid started by me looking at their barrels online since Ive been thinking about doing a PWS toggle action build and the PWS barrels arecarbon fiber tension barrels so I decided to go look at the pioneers of this technology. Ive never been a big 17HM2 fan but when I emailed Scott Volquartsen he informed me that they were discontinuing the 17HM2 barrels so I had to have one. I figured it would make for a nice cartridge to haul around on the deer lease during the off season for critters and its stil got enough ass to take out a small hog with an ear shot.

So the build is obviously the volq cabon fiber tensioned barrel with their black finish and thread muzzle in 17HM2, with their tungsten weighted competition bolt since the 17HM2 packs a bit more punch than 22lr the extra weight is needed to get the timing right. Many people have used weighted charge handles but I dont like how that keeps the weight not centered on the bore axis and people still have had problems with timing the bolt and bulged cases. The volq bolt is heavier and just an all around quality piece with all the typical accurizing goodies already done.
    20130314_175247_zpsf0fc0948.jpg

I also picked up a polymer trigger group as they seem to work better with the kidd drop in trigger kit. I dont need anything crazy light as this will be a brush gun too.
    Ruger 10/22 "trigger job" kit
    Im still trying to decide on what receiver to go with as there are so dang many options but Im thinking right now Ill probably end up orderin a kidd classic receiver as I really like the finish(black) and the way their rail is designed too.
    Classic Receiver
    I picked up some burris xtr medium height rings thatll hold my old vortex viper pst 2.5-10. Its a lot of scope for the little rifle but its just been sitting in the safe so itll do for now till I find a better use for the scope then itll get swapped out for a falcon menace 4-14. The scope
    IMAG0907.jpg

I know some will disagree with my choice in stock but for a gun thats going to get taken through the woods and I want to be light I think the hogue stocks are hard to beat so Ill be throwing one of them on in OD.
    Hogue OverMolded Rifle Stock Ruger 10/22 .920 Barrel Channel

Hopefully the barrel likes having the sparrow hanging off the end of it. I havent been able to find much feedback on these tensioned barrels with a can hanging off the end of it.
    Hurley's Gold

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I know, for some reason I really like this look
    Picture053.jpg

If I decide I dont like it, Ill throw it on my old 10/22.

I really like the pws raptor stock in atomic red but it doesnt have slig swivels and it would be a shame to put them on such a nice stock.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Nice. I've been researching 10/22 components for a bit. You're rifle looks great.

I've not pulled the trigger so-to-say, but I'm thinking the Kidd receiver, the one that accepts the threaded barrels, and then a Kidd matching barrel, fluted and free floated, and the Kidd bolt group. Stock I'm still considering.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Looks very nice . The over mold is a great shooting stock. I had to remove some material in the magwell for the ten rounders to drop free.
    Found a guy on rimfirecentral who has done swivel sling studs in a raptor before. Waiting on pictues to see if I want to pursue that avenue.
    Nice. I've been researching 10/22 components for a bit. You're rifle looks great.

I've not pulled the trigger so-to-say, but I'm thinking the Kidd receiver, the one that accepts the threaded barrels, and then a Kidd matching barrel, fluted and free floated, and the Kidd bolt group. Stock I'm still considering.
    That picture I posted isnt mine and thats a tacsol barrel, which is another build Id like to do eventually. The tacsol barrels are really nice, only problem is the barrels are threaded aluminum which can wear easily with the use of a can but they sure do look nice and are really light.

Kidd is very hard to beat. Theyre worth the extra money for sure, and their scalloped bolt is a thing of beauty. It really is frighteningly easy to get over a grand tied up in a dang 10/22 but for some reason theyre a hoot to shoot.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I bet it will be a straight shooting combo. I'm also a fan of the overmolds, but more for bench rest than field use. It's a bit heavy. All three of mine have had zero issues with magwells or the pillars in the fore grip.

Codemonkey001

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Dallas
    Awesome start. I really like my Raptor stock, I have it in Obsideon. It is sad that it doesn't have sling mounts, I'd like to see how yours comes out. I wanted to install 2 qd cups in mine. The stock is REALLY light. I use that with my TacSol SBx barrel in rim fire competitions. I want a 17hm2 conversion, that round shoots so much flatter than 22lr. Good luck with the build.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im going to start off with the hogue then later on possibly swap to the raptor. The fact that I might swap later on is why Ill probably end up going with a kidd receiver since it has the removable rear tang. Ill want to bed and pilar this gun eventually so Ill need a wood stock but I dont have a drill press yet to make it nice and clean like Id want.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sounds like a nice rifle...
    I have one VQ CF barrel also in .17HM2, and no complaints. I used a factory receiver but with VQ's bolt, and it runs just fine. I also like the Hogue stocks, but much prefer the hard nylon to the rubber over-mold.

My favorite Squirrel Rifle:
    1017VQhbt.gif

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Sold my old iphone so I had a little extra spending money and went ahead and placed an order with Kidd for their classic receiver with all the goodies along with their drop in trigger kit and guide rod. I ended up getting a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 for my 17HMR so the BSA Sweet 17 will be coming off of it and going on this one and the PST 2.5-10 will be going on a 308 5R thats head this way once Buds gets off their ass and finally mails it. When the hogue stocks come back in stock on midway this build should be done. I dont know why Im so excited about this particular build but I think its going to be a really fun rifle to play with.

My dad ended up finding some CCI and Hornady for me to try, once I figure out what it likes Ill put in an order with midsouth to build a stockpile.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    Very nice! It is easy to get money tied up in .22's. I had close to $600 tied up in my last 10/22, which is why my Savage is nice. But like you said Saturday the Boyd's stocks are nice.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    It definitely doesnt take much for it to add up quick. With this latest order to Kidd of almost 500 bucks and then my order to midway today for the rings, stock and 17cal boresnake Ive got about 1200 tied up into this thing not counting the scope. This thing better be a blast. Kinda wish I wouldve put that money towards a springfield trp operator in the full rail variety instead as Ive really been wanting one of those but I do love my rimfires and this one would be dang near impossible to make since Volquartsen has stopped production of these barrels.

Getting closer to getting this thing together. The Kidd parts were delivered to my FFL today and I just placed my order with Midway for the stock, rings and boresnake. So with any luck Ill be shooting next weekend. For some reason I was thinking Mcqueeney was up in teh DFW area otherwise I wouldve just driven down there and picked it up in person this week, oh well.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Had my wife run by and pick up the kidd goodies from the ffl today so I could get started. Didnt get much done as I spent a lot of time cleaning my office/gun room. Also didnt get far on putting the barrel and receiver together. I dont know if the kidd receiver is machined that tight or if the volq barrel with the black painted finish is just too thick but the damn thing wont slide in. Im afraid to do the heat the receiver and freeze the barrel trick like I do on my ARs since this barrel is a carbon fiber tension barrel. If I tap it in with a rubber hammer the extractor slot may not be lined up right. I dont know that I trust leveling the receiver then the barrel before tapping it together like the kidd instructions say to do. If the barrel wasnt a tension barrel I wouldn't be nearly as scared to get a little rough with it.

Anyway, I'll do some reading while at work tomorrow or if yall got any suggestions. The stock and rings should be here tomorrow so if I can get this dang barrel thing lined out I can be shooting this weekend.
    20130410_222256_zps425d74e7.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the rear tang option even though I'm not going to hse it right now but later on this thing might end up in a pws raptor stock and if it does I'll fulky bed it and put some pilars in. The machining on the kidd receiver is worth every penny especially considering it was only 80ish bucks more than buying a ruger receiver.
    20130410_223050_zpsb9b8339b.jpg

20130410_223117_zps17c1c410.jpg

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Ended up throwing the receiver in the oven while the wife was baking some sopapilla cheesecake so why not throw a gun part in too. After about 5 minutes in there I took it out and the barrel dropped right in. I had plenty of time to clock the extractor slot to my satisfaction and then put a paper towel soaked with cold water on the barrel extension so the carbon fiber didn't get too heated up while the receiver cooled. After that it was pretty straight forward with the exception of the guide rod. Since the volquartsen bolt has a built in handle you don't get to put the quide rod in through the ejection port then toss the bolt in. You have to put the guide rod in the bolt then compress the crap out of it while simultaneously putting the bolt in. The use a screw driver to pop the guide rod into its hole. Its not that hard just takes a little precision and patience.
    20130411_190513_zps8887aac5.jpg

20130411_191834_zpsa186a506.jpg

20130411_192439_zps6c941640.jpg

20130411_203737_zps13a450ea.jpg

Just have to put the trigger kit in now and then Ill be good to go. Should get to break it in Sunday at Lonestar. Eventually I want to get some better glass for it, something like this
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 4-12x40 V-Plex
    Would be nice, since the current scope is heavy as hell and the glass sucks even for a rimfire scope.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Very nice. Thanks for the info. I have one of those hogue over .920 stocks and still deciding what part to pick up next. I like my little stock 10/22 but it just don't get it. Look forward to a range report on that build.

Top Bottom