A 'less' documented gun?

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by kingofwylietx, Mar 10, 2008.

1. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I was chatting with a buddy this past weekend and somehow we got onto the subject of the semi-recent New Orleans gun confiscation related to hurricane Katrina. They basically went door-to-door taking all the guns. He suggested buying a gun or two from an individual, so it wouldn't be on a list of things to be taken from you....since you don't have to register firearms in Texas and the least documented way to legally buy one is from an individual.

What is your opinion: Could it happen in Texas? If so, would you want something left behind so that the bad guys (looters, crooks, whatever) were not the only ones left armed?

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I certainly would, but I don't think it would happen in Texas. We are a different breed.

3. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I wonder if the folks in New Orleans thought it couldn't happen there.....and we all know that those guys are a different breed too.

Just curious..

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure they did, but if we were dealing with someone on that scale I'm not giving up anything. Especially after seeing how that fiasco was handled.

5. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, since there is no legal requirement in the great state of Texas to register firearms from private party sales, this is a perfectly valid thing to do.

Honestly, I don't think it could happen in Texas. I forget the exact bill however Governor Perry signed one into law specifically to outlaw any such confiscations happening in Texas. I like that guy! If things went horribly wrong and such a thing happened here, while it may sound unsavory to some, I will put up armed resistance if forced to do so. I'm not giving up anything, especially seeing as I would not have broken any laws to warrant it. The day citizens at large are forced to resist such unconstitutional acts and are killed in their own homes by LE/Military would be the worst day this country has ever faced. Lets hope it never comes to that. It may sound tinfoil hat to some, though as we've seen it already happened in Louisiana even after no one ever thought it possible.

6. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    I dont want any trouble with the law. having said that I will not give up my guns. they are mine and the constitution says I have a right to them. If they come for them they better have a piece of paper that says the constitiution is gone. and they better be ready to taake them by force.

I live by the law, some of them I dont like, but I live by them anyway. but that is one law I will not abide by. My guns are a right given to me by the founding fathers, and I will not comprimize on it.

God, Guns and real men made America. the least we can do is try and keep it that way.

7. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    They will need to pry my guns from me.I am dreading this election as the popular candidates are very anti gun.:(

8. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Jim... if you were running for prez... I'd have to vote for you.

9. Renegade

Renegade TGT Addict

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    They did not go door to door. They went to a few doors. They did not have a list, so buying a gun with no paperwork does not matter. They searched the homes.

Texas passed a law in the last session making gun confiscations illegal. It has been widely publicized and most LEOs know about, so I doubt it will ever happen. Compared to NO, Texas is very heavily armed, and the guns are in large, heavy safes making confiscation during SHTF very difficult.

10. kiloecho9

kiloecho9 New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    DFW
    Yep SB112 Emergency Power Act was signed by Gov. Perry almost a year ago to prevent what happened in N.O.