• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I offer an item for sale at a specific price. You agreed to buy the item and arrange to meet me.

When we meet (actually you sent your 300lb uncle at the last minute) you pull a wad of cash out of your pocket that's less than the advertised amount and say that's all you have.

Since we met at a bank (my choice; it was damn sure intentional), I say I'll be happy to wait for you to withdraw the remaining balance. Your fat uncle declines, calls my bank "those motherfuckers," and asks his 350lb copilot if he has any money. After an awkward couple seconds, the cash appears.

Oh the joys of Craigslist.
    Texas SOT

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I offer an item for sale at a specific price. You agreed to buy the item and arrange to meet me.

When we meet (actually you sent your 300lb uncle at the last minute) you pull a wad of cash out of your pocket that's less than the advertised amount and say that's all you have.

Since we met at a bank (my choice; it was damn sure intentional), I say I'll be happy to wait for you to withdraw the remaining balance. Your fat uncle declines, calls my bank "those $#@!ckers," and asks his 350lb copilot if he has any money. After an awkward couple seconds, the cash appears.

Oh the joys of Craigslist.
    I have similar happen with CL buyers also.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I make sure the price is agreed upon beforehand usually. I get there and you want to haggle? Goodbye. That hasn't happened yet but that is how it would go.

People are schmucks. No news there.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    CL stories have kept me away from ever doing business on there. However, I have a friend at work that does a few deals a week with no trouble. Mostly car releated, and tools.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    CL stories have kept me away from ever doing business on there. However, I have a friend at work that does a few deals a week with no trouble. Mostly car releated, and tools.
    I have made many deals there with luck. It is usually easy to weed out the jokers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Lol, I've contacted no less then 4 people off craigslist.

Cash wanna buy a car.

After, I explain book price. Adjusted by their cars own vin. They still seem to think their 1998 mustang gt is worth $8000-$9500. But books at the real world price of $3500. Even with the higher numbers off NADA.

Their head explodes. I get cussed out.

Craigslist is some crazy stuff.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I have and do use it a lot and have few problems, only a couple like in the OP. I will continue to use CL.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I've had similar happen with GunBroker buyers... met two different buyers... both showed up with less cash than agreed to. The bottom line is too many people suck.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Common CL tactic.
    Expect it.

Price agreed to was X amount. They do not have it. Walk away from them.

ALWAYS meet somewhere public. Make them travel to somewhere. Never agree to meet where they want.
    Be armed. Have an armed back-up person if possible.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    What kind of low-lifes agree on a price, then jacks with you? I hate those mo-fo's. A deal is a deal. When I started reading the OP I was cringing it might be a TGT thing. Whew.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol, I've contacted no less then 4 people off craigslist.

Cash wanna buy a car.

After, I explain book price. Adjusted by their cars own vin. They still seem to think their 1998 mustang gt is worth $8000-$9500. But books at the real world price of $3500. Even with the higher numbers off NADA.

Their head explodes. I get cussed out.

Craigslist is some crazy stuff.

Are you posting a WTB ad, or contacting sellers about their ads?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Are you posting a WTB ad, or contacting sellers about their ads?

My Wtb ad got flagged. A carbon copy is in the classifieds here. It was removed.

Only one reply to the ad. The rest I contacted by email and phone.

Craigslist killeen is full of crazy numbers. Even after inviting folks to the Auto max ford dealership. My word, that I will pay the price, in cash. The value of the car they say.

I'm not joking.

I still get, literally, cussed the flip out. It's like their expecting an E-nothing off Hood. To pay over loan value. Not by a few hundred bucks. But by THOUSANDS.

There's like a 1999 listed. The dude even admits to spraying the factory motor with nitrous. His car books for about $3500. That's full resale retail. KBB.

He wants $9500. SO $4000+ grand over loan value.

2006' mustang are beginning to touch $8000-$9000.

But if you were to tell him, his baby isn't worth squat. He'll blow up, call you nuts.

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    What kind of low-lifes agree on a price, then jacks with you? I hate those mo-fo's. A deal is a deal. When I started reading the OP I was cringing it might be a TGT thing. Whew.

It's one thing to not have the cash but buying online you don't get to see what you're buying. More than once I've renegotiated or walked away because I didn't feel the description matched the true condition. I'm not committed to squat until I see it in person.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It's one thing to not have the cash but buying online you don't get to see what you're buying. More than once I've renegotiated or walked away because I didn't feel the description matched the true condition. I'm not committed to squat until I see it in person.

fair point.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm looking at a 72' nova tomorrow. It's a rag. But I got the funds to make it a nice ride.

Besides getting 12mpg. Ill buy a scooter for $500. Run the nova when the bug hits. Ride a scooter, Kaiser helmet, spike on top, the rest of the time.

Hey, it gets real gas mileage. No dates, but you save money.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    My Wtb ad got flagged. A carbon copy is in the classifieds here. It was removed.

Only one reply to the ad. The rest I contacted by email and phone.

Craigslist killeen is full of crazy numbers. Even after inviting folks to the Auto max ford dealership. My word, that I will pay the price, in cash. The value of the car they say.

I'm not joking.

I still get, literally, cussed the flip out. It's like their expecting an E-nothing off Hood. To pay over loan value. Not by a few hundred bucks. But by THOUSANDS.

There's like a 1999 listed. The dude even admits to spraying the factory motor with nitrous. His car books for about $3500. That's full resale retail. KBB.

He wants $9500. SO $4000+ grand over loan value.

2006' mustang are beginning to touch $8000-$9000.

But if you were to tell him, his baby isn't worth squat. He'll blow up, call you nuts.

I suppose he has reciepts for the $xx thousands of go-fast goodies he's bolted on to the car? it may make a diff to some but not to most. bolt on goodies yield 25% to 50% of retail once used. If he has a racing modified transmissoin, etc.... those things get expensive. I put a $4k modified AOD in my '88. 5 years later, I got $2500 for the whole car, lol.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Well this thread touched a nerve! I've probably done 200 deals on CL, so not a newb, but this behavior chaps my ass.

As another poster said, it's one thing to renegotiate after realizing the items differs from the description. It's another to play dumb. Homie don't play that game.

For the record, I tried to sell it here first, but you dingleberries wouldn't buy it.

Happy Friday, people!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I suppose he has reciepts for the $xx thousands of go-fast goodies he's bolted on to the car? it may make a diff to some but not to most. bolt on goodies yield 25% to 50% of retail once used. If he has a racing modified transmissoin, etc.... those things get expensive. I put a $4k modified AOD in my '88. 5 years later, I got $2500 for the whole car, lol.

I've seen blowers, nitrous, stainless steel headers, built motors. Saleen ground effects. Crap, that has every single Ford Racing product they make. Easy 500hp, beast of a car. But with enough miles on it, everything would need gone through. And the 10-12mpg of one these supped' up, common Ford 2Dr coupes...isn't helping the resale value. Least to me.

The hard part, is finding a mustang....that has at least the factory air cleaner. Stock as it came from Ford. Somebody always seems to add a go fast part. Which I don't blame them.

But until the bank includes a box, you check for performance parts. It's still book value.

Top Bottom