• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I have a part-time job that many shooters wouldn't mind doing. I'm assigned to the USAR (US Army Reserve) Service Pistol Team, and I shoot daily when I'm training for the big matches. It's not all fun and games, though...lots of testing is involved in picking out the best ammo and lot numbers that suit my particular pistols. I realize that my practice would be considered irrelevant tactically by some; shooting a handgun one-handed at 25 and 50 yards hasn't won too many gunfights lately. But I don't practice to win a gunfight; I just like to shoot...a lot. The Army picks up my tab. And I figure that if I can put ten rounds into a 3.4" circle at 50 yards, I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself in a defensive situation.
    The last few years revolvers have made a comeback in bullseye, with several dedicated matches for wheelguns. At Camp Perry (the National Pistol Championships) there are two-the Harry Reeves Match and the Revolver Distinguished Match. Being a military service pistol shooter, these matches are fun and excellent practice with a different handgun (revolver) platform. Here's my chosen revolver that I'll be using...a limited production M68 6" in .38 Special that I bought as a young policeman from the LAPD Revolver Club.

M68 .38 Special, built for the LAPD in the mid-80's.
    DSC_2362_zps7305601a.jpg

M68s (.38 Special version of the 66) were made for the LAPD and the CHP.
    DSC_2355_zps1635dcc0.jpg

LAPD version of the M68. Barrel marked "LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT". I had my badge and initials engraved on the sideplate.
    DSC_2358_zps9c639e2b.jpg

I sent my revolver back to S&W years ago for installation of a post (patridge) front sight; a much better target sight than the red ramp. Action was also tuned by the LAPD armorers; trigger serrations were ground off and the trigger face was polished.
    DSC_2353_zps3657955c.jpg

Lots of different loads were tested, including 158 gr RNLs and 148 gr wadcutters. I settled on Rem 158 RNLs and Fed 148 gr WCs.
    DSC_2352_zps0db60037.jpg

Preferred grip for me has always been the Pachmayr "Presentation" in small size. I have a few without the gaudy emblem stashed away for future projects.
    DSC_2357_zpse2007593.jpg

Proper grip for single action fire with a revolver. Thumb is high (for rapid thumb-cocking) and the revolver is in-line with the forearm. Finger tip is used when shooting SA.
    DSC_2356_zps58b211f1.jpg

After a little practice and playing with grip and zero, a satisfying timed-fire target at 25 yards. Good shooting with a wheelgun is do-able, but you gotta practice!
    DSC_2361_zpsf11a90c6.jpg

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't think there's anyone that will argue about groups like that at 25 and 50yds. ;)

Good looking gun too. I like the look of half lug guns. Some full lug guns, like Pythons, look good, but half lugs like this or a Model 29 also look pretty darn good as well.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Being a one handed shooter, due to a rather severe incident I had years ago, I gotta say I'm Very impressed. Now, if I could only do that with my semi auto consistently. Good looking piece too.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Holy cow! What a treat! Someone who actually shoots bulls eye and a lefty, yet.

I never shot one handed and always used two handed grip. The cylinder latch is perfect for me as a thumb rest in the high position as my hands are huge.

I started serious shooting with Model 19 S&W's, went to Pythons, then sold those and went back to the Model 19's. The Pythons just don't click for me and I find the triggers too mushy. I've probably owned a dozen or more Model 19's over the years. The Model 66 stainless is great, too. SS makes a different sound and I prefer the blue revolver.

I had a Ransom Rest with grip adapters for K, N frame S&W, 1911's and for High Standard .22's and S&W Model 41's. The revolvers will really put the rounds in there accurately. I did have a Model 10 custom heavy barrel that had a slightly odd chamber that wouldn't shoot with the other 5 but the overall performance was better than I could provide with me at the controls.

That Model 41 S&W is top dog. The HS is slightly behind the 41 and they will both outshoot the Rugers.

Do you shoot the S&W 41 or the HS Supermatic Citation?

It looks like your revolver had the ramped "Combat Masterpiece" type sight and you replaced it with the Model 19 squared off sight. That's a good choice!

I use the Pachmeyr "Gripper" grips instead of the squared off grips. My little finger is a bit short and they work better for me.

Great thread! Thanks for posting! I just dug out my favorite Model 19 and gave it a few dry fire rounds. It was fun!

Flash

Last edited:

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Holy cow! What a treat! Someone who actually shoots bulls eye and a lefty, yet.

I never shot one handed and always used two handed grip. The cylinder latch is perfect for me as a thumb rest in the high position as my hands are huge.

I started serious shooting with Model 19 S&W's, went to Pythons, then sold those and went back to the Model 19's. The Pythons just don't click for me and I find the triggers too mushy. I've probably owned a dozen or more Model 19's over the years. The Model 66 stainless is great, too. SS makes a different sound and I prefer the blue revolver.

I had a Ransom Rest with grip adapters for K, N frame S&W, 1911's and for High Standard .22's and S&W Model 41's. The revolvers will really put the rounds in there accurately. I did have a Model 10 custom heavy barrel that had a slightly odd chamber that wouldn't shoot with the other 5 but the overall performance was better than I could provide with me at the controls.

That Model 41 S&W is top dog. The HS is slightly behind the 41 and they will both outshoot the Rugers.

Do you shoot the S&W 41 or the HS Supermatic Citation?

It looks like your revolver had the ramped "Combat Masterpiece" type sight and you replaced it with the Model 19 squared off sight. That's a good choice!

I use the Pachmeyr "Gripper" grips instead of the squared off grips. My little finger is a bit short and they work better for me.

Great thread! Thanks for posting! I just dug out my favorite Model 19 and gave it a few dry fire rounds. It was fun!

Flash

Thanks, Flash
    Yes, I'm shooting a 41 now, but I'm having a Marvel unit built on a Caspian stainless frame. Should be done at Perry, where I'll pick it up. Here's some of my bullseye guns. The fly sitting on the Ultra-Dot eye-shade isn't part of the equipment.
    Bob

DSC_1823.gif

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's a 52-2...
    Bob, I'm interested in your opinion. Does the 52 deserve its reputation as an "unforgiving" pistol? If you have the experience, how would you compare it to the Sig P240?

I've owned neither, shot both (the 240 was a .38), and have my own amateur opinion but I'm always curious about the thoughts of people who shoot better than me.

TIA

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Bob, I'm interested in your opinion. Does the 52 deserve its reputation as an "unforgiving" pistol? If you have the experience, how would you compare it to the Sig P240?

I've owned neither, shot both (the 240 was a .38), and have my own amateur opinion but I'm always curious about the thoughts of people who shoot better than me.

TIA

Yes; very much so. Slow-fire at 50 yds is fine IF your follow-through is perfect. If it isn't a 52 will eat you alive. The S&W 52 is a superb bullseye gun, though, and will make you a better shooter if you train with it. Never shot a 240, but I've played with a SIG 210 extensively. Anything SIG makes is pretty good. A 210 is probably the finest-made production pistol in the world.
    Bob

DSC_0043.jpg

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes; very much so. ...a 52 will eat you alive.
    I agree. I got smaller groups with the 52 but when I had a flyer it was WAY out. The 240, otoh, just seemed to shoot nice, round groups all the time.

Slow-fire at 50 yds is fine IF your follow-through is perfect.
    I'm just razzing you; keep that in mind. But...you do know that Brian Zins says follow-through doesn't exist, that the whole concept is a useless throwback to the use of black powder, right?

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I agree. I got smaller groups with the 52 but when I had a flyer it was WAY out. The 240, otoh, just seemed to shoot nice, round groups all the time.

I'm just razzing you; keep that in mind. But...you do know that Brian Zins says follow-through doesn't exist, that the whole concept is a useless throwback to the use of black powder, right?

Brian is a phenomenal shooter, but he IS a Marine...Jim Henderson, US Army and also a pretty good pistol shot (2673 last month at the Interservice Championships, and also a former US champion), is a firm believer in follow through. It's a great argument for bullseye shooters to engage in...and a great way to see into the thinking of great shooters, and what works for them. Glad you liked the photo essay!
    Bob

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes, I did like the photo essay. Thanks, too, for taking my ribbing in the spirit intended.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Nice spread of pistols. Except for the rear sight, I recognized the M52 Master....38 wadcutter. You don't see a lot of those around.

I had the 7" and the 5" Model 41's but sold the 7". The weight is 39 oz just like the 1911 and switching between them was easy. The Supermatic Citation Military is a favorite, too.

I got bored one night and posted a challenge. $10 said I could take on all comers at 50 foot slowfire with center fire, double action style trigger and totally stock pistols. The purpose was to get something....anything going. Good thing you didn't take that bet. I don't like losing. As it was, no one took the bet, anyway. I guess TV is too important, today.

I am dealing with two cataracts now and I can still shoot but I see the end coming.

Thanks for showing us your goodies!

Flash

Rifleman55

Jul 17, 2008
    Do you shoot the timed fire stage at the rapid fire pace like some service shooters do? I shoot a little bullseye on Mondays with some other retired folks. I have to buy my own ammo so I can't shoot as much as you do. I am using an iron sighted supermatic citation with the mil grip. I can't afford a high dollar centerfire so I use a home built 1911 with a Briley barrel. It shoots better than I can hold it.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Do you shoot the timed fire stage at the rapid fire pace like some service shooters do? I shoot a little bullseye on Mondays with some other retired folks. I have to buy my own ammo so I can't shoot as much as you do. I am using an iron sighted supermatic citation with the mil grip. I can't afford a high dollar centerfire so I use a home built 1911 with a Briley barrel. It shoots better than I can hold it.

I think your 1911 will work fine. Most big-time shooters use a 1911 in the centerfire phase...only two guns to learn, so you're fine. As far as timed fire goes, I never practice timed fire-only rapid (5 shots in 10 sec). What usually happens in a match is I end up shooting timed fire in about 12-13 seconds, which is perfect. The critical factors are breaking the 1st shot as the target turns and follow through on the 5th shot...pretend you're shooting six shots, instead of 5. This will, with practice, stop the tendency to hesitate on the 5th and last shot. Hope this helps.
    Bob

Top Bottom