Guns International

A Ruger SRH in 10mm Auto? WHY!?! Am I MISSING something?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    "Within its design parameters" is the operative phrase. The .357 Max was for sending the heaviest bullets downrange to knock over steel rams. The flame cutting was a result of people who just couldn't leave it at that and had to find out how fast they could launch ridiculously light bullets using ball powder.

For people who understood the cartridge and only used heavy bullets with stick powder, the flame cutting was never a problem. Ruger couldn't rely on all the buyers also being judicious handloaders so they discontinued the revolver.

That's a shame. It was a great cartridge.

If anyone is truly interested in it, here's a good article: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell357Max.htm
    A blast from the past.
    Thanks Ben.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Ruger is offering a Super Redhawk in 10MM? Hmmmm. That reminds me of how I've seen people argue persuasively that the Smith X-frame should be offered in a short variant, cut back to just long enough for the .500 Special. Then, having done that, they could offer a 7 or 8-shot .44 magnum that would be sufficiently overbuilt as to be indestructible, unlike their Model 29.

That sounds good to me because I like guns that can stand up to lots of use. 10mm in a Blackhawk would qualify and probably be a good match.

But 10MM in an SRH is overkill.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUKBN-106X

sucker76

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I've been trying to find a way to get one. The end of the year is just too tight. I think the SBH will just go up in value like the SRH will.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    It’s going to be a low volume seller. But for someone such as myself that is a 10mm fan, it offers a hell for stout revolver that is scopeable.

The other thing is it could be bored to a 10mm magnum if desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sucker76

Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    It’s going to be a low volume seller. But for someone such as myself that is a 10mm fan, it offers a hell for stout revolver that is scopeable.

The other thing is it could be bored to a 10mm magnum if desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't know too much about the 10mm magnum. I just scratched the surface with a quick search. Looks awesome. It looks like it's a little hotter than 41 mag in a rimless pistol cartridge.

Kosh75287

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    A BLACKhawk in 10mm makes a certain amount of sense, especially if it comes with a cylinder that chambers .38-40 (which, in modern firearms, can be loaded to VERY respectable ballistics). But swapping cylinders on a REDhawk is a much more involved conversion, and not something one casually does in the field.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Challenge accepted.

Somebody let me borrow their Redhawk and a hammer.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Oh well. Noticed the typo and was able to fix it before the grammar gestapo caught me.

Kosh75287

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    The limits of 10mm auto in WHAT? I'm pretty sure that by the time they jack up the pressures to the point that they're dangerous for the SRH, the round would be terminal in any automatic pistol. The whole proposition just seems ludicrous.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The limits of 10mm auto in WHAT? I'm pretty sure that by the time they jack up the pressures to the point that they're dangerous for the SRH, the round would be terminal in any automatic pistol. The whole proposition just seems ludicrous.

It isn't only pressure that can be toyed with when moving the round to a revolver.

Bullet length, profile, weight, and bullet tip design can all be adjusted while not having to deal with feeding issues.

Ludicrous to you is just a normal day to somebody else.

Top Bottom