• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Been loading for decades, but mostly with Alliant and IMR stuff, and of course tons of black powder. Within the past few years the Hodgdon powders have entered my stable use of smokeless stuff. Winchester has a couple I use as well. But Accurate powders confuse me.
    Examples:
    AA#5 in 38Spl, 44Spl and 45Colt leaves lots of unburnt powder and show pronounced case sensitivity. #9 in 357Mag shows instability and "spikes" of excessive pressure when loaded to below max in several cases. And unlike many, I do not load anything maximum with smokeless. I'm always below it and I work up from starting loads since I began loading smokeless in 1960. I know the old Hercules, now Alliant well. IMR too. Even Winchester and Hodgdon are now old friends. But AA powders? #5, #7, and #9 have never given satisfactory results and worse, near unsafe performance for me.
    So, tell me about your use of these three AA powders. Good or bad.
    My thanks in advance.
    Texas SOT

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I have never used any AA powders. Seen it on the shelf a lot but never brought any home. I guess I always thought the AA stuff was more for shotgun and I load pistol/rifle.

I am a hogdons Winchester and Alliant fan and have never seen the need to venture out past those. I would probably be happy just loading hogdons as they provide a pretty wide range of options.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    I was looking for a substitute for 2400, which has not been seen here in almost 8 years. I believe its no longer available anywhere around here. Both retailers I trade with say they cannot get it. So I was trying AA#9, but it spikes too high and isn't stable in my weapons. #5 burns odd, uneven I'd say. The jury is still out on #7. The #5 & #9 are going to be dumped and burnt. Can't use em.
    Oh well. I always got TiteGroup and W748...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Guy at work swears by #5 as his go-to for 9mm, I've never personally loaded it. I do like Hodgden powders though, their CFE stuff works well with my plated rounds. Very repeatable over a chrono.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Awwww shucks, I got too many stinking powders. I think it's stupid to have so many. Starting tomorrow I'm trimming it down. I used to do fine with just Bullseye, Unique, and 3031, and of course FF and FFF black powder. With those I could load everything I shot.

Nope, I don't need all those oddball powders. I'm trimming down to bare minimum! 07:00, after having had morning chow, it's powder elimination time..... Going to cleanse the powder magazine......

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    AA2 has a burn rate similar to Bullseye, works well in similar roles. AA5 burns similar to Unique, needs to reach higher (permissible) pressure levels to burn clean, just like Unique. Never used AA7, have no experience with it. AA9 works well for high end 44 Magnum loads, but doesn't do well at lower pressures. They all work, but not my first choice.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Look at win296 or H110 to replace 2400.

Oh boy... When servicing weapons in the armory and my gunsmithing shop it was found that those powders caused erosion of the top straps right behind the forcing cone. Had two customers that loaded 125jhp 357 with H110. Each had close to 200 rounds fired and the flame cutting was very pronounced on a M28 and even worse on a M19. Several officer's pistols had mild to severe flame cutting or etching from those powders. The PD issued orders to cease loading such powders for officers that reloaded and discontinue use of Winchester magnum factory ammo. It was a serious issue.
    Obviously I don't use those powders.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Switched from Unique, Bullseye and Blue Dot to 2,5,7 and 9. I like them a lot. Much cleaner burning. I've had zero issues you described with them.

There is a sweet spot for the AA powders. I can't recall which powders for which round off the top of my head. But you can use a couple different ones for a particular round. Try a different powder next time. I've had great results.

I did switch back to Blue Dot for 44 Mag. It just feels better when shooting. Hard to describe.

9 is great for 30 Carbine.

I have a bottle of 2400 I bought last year. Not going to use it for the same reason you stated. Sticking with AA stuff. PM where you are and maybe I can get it to you. I travel a bit.

Last edited:

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    I don't like having lots of different powders. I use Unique for my 9mm and 40sw pistols plus shotgun. CFE223 for my AR's and 6.5 Grendel. That's it. For the rest of my guns I just buy factory ammo since I shoot them so rarely.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    I suppose that AA powders performance is mainly best when loaded at or near max. And again I suppose that I created most of my issues with their powder in that I don't load max. Ever. Having no desire for hand numbing recoil in my 44 or case splitting in the 357 I load my magnums at or near 75%. My standard pistols are usually 80%~90%. I'm sure that adds to my getting unburnt powder.

Based upon what I've read here and my own experience with AA powders, I believe I'll abandon their use. Much like Vaquero, I really enjoy TiteGroup in my pistols. Universal is pretty good in them as well. Bullseye and Unique are fine as well. I only have one centerfire rifle now as I've sold all the others. So rifle powders are a snap.

Thanks guys for your input. Assists me a lot in my next move. And deemus, I thank you for your generous offer but I've gone so long without 2400 now I don't even have a desire to load it anymore.

After morning chow, I'm trimming the fat in the powder magazine as I stated earlier. I'm sure I can whittle it down to about five or less.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I load Titegroup as well, and maybe it's my head but to me the recoil impulse is much sharper than CFE Pistol, for the same measured velocity.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I have never used AA powder. Since starting back in reloading after a 10+ year hiatus. I load for my 6.5CM (H4350) and just bought a Hornady press for pistol. I did a trial run the other nite of 38's. Loaded 30 with 4.7gr Unique topped with a cast 125gr semi wadcutter (Hunters Supply). Once I figured out how to use the chronograph again it surprised me. I checked 16 rounds. The lowest was 1028fps, the rest were 1051-1091. No pressure signs whatsoever. Using S&W 6" 686. Shot very nicely, no heavy recoil or anything. I didn't group it as I was shooting 100yds to let the chrono work.

Buckshot Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2018
    Gone
    Well I've trimmed the magazine down to the following:
    For pistols:
    TiteGroup
    Universal
    Unique
    Bullseye
    W231
    For my one rifle:
    W748
    H380

And my BP substitute and the real stuff.
    Everything else is boxed up for my grandson or my neighbors.

Just seemed foolish to have dozens of powders for a few weapons. My loading is from moderate to standard velocities. I don't need nor desire hot monster loads. For me they're a waste of time, money, and effort wearing out weapons before their time.
    So to celebrate I went to my range and fired the last of the AA#5 loaded 38's from my Richards & Mason Colt Conversion. After shooting I realized why I got rid of that powder... Can't get it to burn...

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Speaking of 2400 powder. While browsing around and BS'ing at Buffalo Creek this afternoon I noticed the impossible to get 2400 was on the shelf. 1 lb for abt $22 and 8 lbs for $150. Now who was looking for some?

Top Bottom