Texas SOT

About those arm braces on rifle caliber pistols...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm wondering how an SBR is 'all that much superior' to my 16" barrel AR15?

Or, are they for preppers for when the shtf scenarios or what?

There’s a lot of reasons. Take an AR pistol or SBR in 300BLK. BLK doesn’t need anything more that 9” in the barrel. That can be a pretty compact and potent combination. For one tax stamp, you can add a suppressor and be right around the size of your 16” AR.

For confined areas and your standard home, that’s more maneuverable than a 16” AR with a can on it.

The 5.56 pistol is too much compromise for me.
    Venture Surplus ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I think the reasoning for the distinction in not allowing rifle cartridge pistols is that they more easily defeat body armor.
    The progressives will use any reason to push their agenda of disarming citizens of their 2A rights.
    I am quite surprised at how prevalent firearms with arm braces have become. Once allowed to rest it against your shoulder as you can now, really blurs the distinction between an SBR and a pistol.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    There’s a lot of reasons. Take an AR pistol or SBR in 300BLK. BLK doesn’t need anything more that 9” in the barrel. That can be a pretty compact and potent combination. For one tax stamp, you can add a suppressor and be right around the size of your 16” AR.

For confined areas and your standard home, that’s more maneuverable than a 16” AR with a can on it.

The 5.56 pistol is too much compromise for me.
    My 300BLK has both. Tax stamps cost nearly as much as the rifle, sans can and optic.

Braces are interesting though kinda silly. I don’t fault those that have them but not for me. Personally a bump stock makes more sense for fun factor but to each their own. Neither of which should be regulated, however.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Please correct me. If you purchase an AR rifle and replace the barrel with one less than 16”, it becomes an SBR. You cannot put a brace on it and call it a pistol, right?
    An AR that begins as a pistol can add a brace, you know... for stability.
    A firearm that begins as a rifle will always be considered a rifle regardless of modifications.
    You must begin with a pistol to be able to add a brace.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Please correct me. If you purchase an AR rifle and replace the barrel with one less than 16”, it becomes an SBR. You cannot put a brace on it and call it a pistol, right?
    An AR that begins as a pistol can add a brace, you know... for stability.
    A firearm that begins as a rifle will always be considered a rifle regardless of modifications.
    You must begin with a pistol to be able to add a brace.

When you start with a stripped lower, the world is your oyster. Box 16 on the 4473 marked “other”.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you shoot a brace like a stock, isn't that uncomfortable? It sure looks like it would be.

Some of the "braces" are pushing the limit and I wonder how long it will be allowed.

SIG-RATTLER-670x447.jpg

I dearly love my SBRs and am not charmed by braces for ARs.
    Some of the sliding and folding braces on SIGs or the B&T as below are pretty nice.

ghm9-g2-e1549901934837.jpg

Attachments

• ghm9-g2-e1549901934837.jpg
      ghm9-g2-e1549901934837.jpg
      149.2 KB · Views: 708
    • SIG-RATTLER-670x447.jpg
      SIG-RATTLER-670x447.jpg
      29.1 KB · Views: 469
    Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Same could be said about the shot guns that are firearms & not SBS.
    Exactly.

The federal government is not known for the attitude of "Let's give them away to break the law and we'll look the other way."

I do think the current loophole is allowing us to avoid a law that never made sense to begin with.

Hopefully it's here to stay.

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS!

Personally I think that people need to stop asking questions about things that are already legal. Do we want the ATF in all it's "wisdom" looking any further into ANYTHING related to firearms? I hope the resounding answer is NO. Stop asking questions that nobody wants to hear the answer to. The ATF bureaucracy doesn't need any help subverting our rights.

Top Bottom