• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    They are in fact available in store for $10.

I did a side by side comparison with the Blackhawks brand for $20 and the only difference is the thickness in the metal and the consistency in the spot welds, but seeing as I only looked at one of each, that may vary for better or worse. Can't say for sure as my sampling group was rather small for a definitive study. :)

Again, if you are using these for storage only and not bringing them to your latest SHTF event, then I say they are a good deal. Even with regular use, I really don't see them being a problem but some will still disagree, but oh well, it is what it is.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They are in fact available in store for $10.

I did a side by side comparison with the Blackhawks brand for $20 and the only difference is the thickness in the metal and the consistency in the spot welds, but seeing as I only looked at one of each, that may vary for better or worse. Can't say for sure as my sampling group was rather small for a definitive study. :)

Again, if you are using these for storage only and not bringing them to your latest SHTF event, then I say they are a good deal. Even with regular use, I really don't see them being a problem but some will still disagree, but oh well, it is what it is.
    Can i use them as jack stands? In California?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    We're looking at you southpaw

As of 7:30pm Frisco Academy on Preston.

20141124_185321.jpg

Manager said that they keep stock in the back and have had to continue to refill this display a couple times per day. Since I have 25 or so mil cans I passed on these. The build looks great but it was the seal I passed on. It looks like a rubber seal that is a cheap knockoff of the Blackhawk types they have on the shelves.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    As of 7:30pm Frisco Academy on Preston.

View attachment 31267

Manager said that they keep stock in the back and have had to continue to refill this display a couple times per day. Since I have 25 or so mil cans I passed on these. The build looks great but it was the seal I passed on. It looks like a rubber seal that is a cheap knockoff of the Blackhawk types they have on the shelves.
    p

Your post got me thinking soooo......

I went ahead and took the three I bought yesterday and threw them in a tub of water for 15 minutes. During that time I had them held down underneath the water since they wouldn't sink on their own which was a good sign.

Towards the end of the 15 minutes I took each one and dunked them aggressively multiple times. On the first one I began dunking, I pushed it under from its side and while pushing on its side while submerged I noticed bubbles coming up from a corner of the lid. So assuming that I was breaking the seal by pushing on the side, I marked that one and proceeded to the other two, though this time, not pushing on the side of either one so a I could compare.

After taking them out and wiping down the outside of the cans I opened up and found the following:

My results where that one can contained a bit of water and the other two were completely dry.

While empty and submerged in water, the seals work as expected and where air tight and only until force is exerted on the side walls forcing them to flex a bit was I able to break that seal.
    This makes me wonder if some of that flex might be taken away if the can was filled. I'm going to assume that it would take up some of it, but without actually doing the test with a full can of ammo, I can't be 100%.
    However, I can't think of any situation where these cans are being used in that way, and if so, certainly not for an extended amount of time. For me they are stacked upright, as intended, and many times have another few cans stacked on top, which I can only assume would push down further in its lid, further ensuring a perfect seal.

Furthermore, I have heard of people using Vaseline on surplus cans to keep them from drying out. Now, I'm not sure if Vaseline would be the best thing, but the idea of using some sort of product that would do this probably is a good idea on both old and new. I mention that, because doing so might further the effectiveness and lifespan of these cans.

Either way, I guess my point was to put to bed any doubt I had about these ammo cans. I never expected them to actually be airtight and I have only used them for temporary storage at best, but I was wrong. I think for everyday movement or zombie attacks, I will stick to the slightly thicker walled USGI cans, but for both long and short term storage, I don't think you can beat these at $10 a piece.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Southpaw I see that you have found the reason why the Blackhawk cans have a indentation around the center of their rubber seal now. It is an attempt to keep the flex of the can from breaking the seal which is what the cheapy cans do not do.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Southpaw I see that you have found the reason why the Blackhawk cans have a indentation around the center of their rubber seal now. It is an attempt to keep the flex of the can from breaking the seal which is what the cheapy cans do not do.

As opposed to a flat gasket? Possibly.

I have a few Blackhawks, if I get a moment I'll test them and see if the indented gasket makes the difference.

ETA- the imported cans do have a channel in their gasket as well, though not centered and not as pronounced as the ones on the M2A1's I looked at.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Well, I couldn't pick out a BH specifically from my stash, but I did manage to try out surplus M2A1 cans.
    One was in like new condition and the other was older and was definitely used. Assuming the BH's are made to the same standard, I figured they were a suitable example.

Both where in fact airtight and didn't leak even when I pushed on the side. However, I'm not sure if it's just the type of gasket as much as thicker material. It's minimal, but it seems to be all that matters in helping with excessive flex in the side wall. Of course, it could be a combination of both.

So, as far as what I can see , if your needs require an ammo can day in and day out for stacking on its side for long periods of time or and as previously stated, for use in the battlefield against the zombie hoarde, then by all means, the USGI spec can is the can you are looking for.
    If you are looking for an airtight ammo can for storing ammo in a closet or other like storage area, and there arent better deals for surplus cans, save yourself $10 and just get the knockoff, then give all that money to your favorite charity or something equally benevolent.

:)

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Grendor
    Top Bottom