• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwbulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    north texas
    I have a really different questions. It seems to me that accuracy of a rifle really drives the value of custom made rifles and so on. Sure I agree that the quality of the rifle and parts has a lot to do with it. But say you were looking at having a custom rifle built for accuracy and you wanted 0.25 moa accuracy out of the rifle quite often but for sure accuracy under and never over 0.50 moa. And the only reason I am bringing this up or even got to thinking about it is that a buddy of mine was wanting to build a .223 rem bolt action and he wanted the best and most accuracy out of it so he's looking into a few custom gun makers. He will spend easy over $1,000 and could be higher than that. I told him I have a 223 Rem Model 700 in a classic that I glass bedded when the caliber came out a few years ago. With reloads I consistently get 0.25 moa or slightly above out of it. With factories everything is under 0.50 moa and I know of 3 factory loads that will consistently shoot 0.25 moa. So my main question after saying all of that is......What should be the value of my rifle to him if accuracy is his only want?

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    The value of thw rifle will depend on several factors.

First being Book Value
    Second being what you think it is worth
    Third being how nuch is he willing to pay for this rifle

Those reasons may vary from one person to another, but those are the main factors.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ...223 Rem ...when the caliber came out a few years ago.

LOL....The .223Rem has been around for a while....how do you define "few"?

IMO, having an accurate factory rifle does not increase its value by a single cent. Now, one that shoots like shit will be worth less (if poor accuracy is disclosed to potential buyers).

Just curious....How are you measuring your accuracy....3, 5, or 10 shot groups? How long between shots? How is the rifle supported?

mwbulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    north texas
    3 quick shots will go into .25 using the right loads....the other 2 will get out just under .50. If I shoot each shot and wait a couple of mins between I can get even better groups depending on how much caffeine I've had.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mwbulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2012
    north texas
    I guess I meant to say when remington came out with their "Classic" a few years ago......I bet that sounded a little like a dumb ass huh

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I find chasing extreme accuracy maddening, expensive, and pointless. What are you trying to shoot and at what range? 1.5MOA should be accurate enough for just about anything out to 500yards. Lots of off the shelf rifles can do that these days.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    LOL give me a rifle that will fire minute of head at whatever range the threat is at... or potential dinner and that is sufficient for me.

I do agree however that the accuracy in .25 or .5 vice the same make mod gun getting 1" or 2" groups does not influence the price much.

TexasVine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Lakeway/Fredericksburg
    So my main question after saying all of that is......What should be the value of my rifle to him if accuracy is his only want?

Your rifle on the open market will be worth no more than what it's current value is on the market new or used. As far as what it is worth to him is basically what he is willing to pay for it. One of my most accurate rifles is my Remmy 700 5R Mil-spec. I have well over $1,900.00 invested into gun and scope. I used to own a Remmington 710 package that cost less than $350.00 years ago and it shot clover leafs all day at 100 yards. Expense and accuracy can or can not be relative.

How to obtain accuracy is misunderstood by a lot of part time shooters. Fit, ammo, quality of glass, conditions, etc. are some variables but are not a substitute for skill. I knew a great bench shooter but he couldn't hit the side of a barn in the field. Range shooting and looking down the scope at a once in a lifetime buck at 250 yards are two different sitautions. Accuracy at the range does not always translate to the field. Great marksmanship is not obtained by shooting every once in awhile or out at the ranch or lease a dozen times or so. It is a skill and once honed will allow a shooter to determine the true accuracy of a cheap or expensive rifle. Don't get me wrong, custom guns are very nice but I have found many shooters to be dissatisfied when a guy next to him at the range is out shooting him with a gun that's a third the price. I have rifles that I'm very accurate with and some I'm not. What makes me scratch my head is one of my rifles that I had accuracy issues with my buddy was dead on with (same ammo and conditions). Go figure!

Top Bottom