• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The Mini is what it is. I have a Texas DPS issued Mini-14 GB that has been GTG with factory 20 round mags. Want to increase the range? Put a decent 3x9x40 scope on it. Some have reported smaller groups with the addition of a flash hider. It's not a match rifle, it's not an AR, it's not a quality AK and never will be. Good uses include Guard towers, patrol cars, ranch work, and recreation. If you have one and you like it, learn it's short comings and it's strengths. Learn to run the thing and don't look to others for validation. Opinions vary and like rectums, most folks have them.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Stand behind the firing line at any gun range on a Saturday morning and watch the kiddies with their black rifles trying to clear jams! Must we go back to the rice paddies to discuss how your beloved M-16 did in Vietnam? The Mini-14 suffered because Bill Ruger didn't want the gov't "assault rifle" antis including his rifle on their list - a naive and bad decision on his part.
    I have a cheap AR, sounds like you have a mini. Want to have a little competition to settle the question? Loser pays ammo and range.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My friends an I came up with a nickname for the Rugers... Jam-o-Matic. It's what we've seen them do far more regularly than AR rifles.
    I think the Mini's weakness is the mags. Reliable Mini mags are hard to come by.
    People with unreliable AR's don't know how to maintain them. That includes the military

yet I am able to snap shoot the mini much more accurately than the AR.
    For me it is a shoulders well and aims quite naturally.
    I'm the same way. Traditionally stocked rifles shoulder faster for me than pistol grip ones. I still prefer the AR

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    I would agree the weakness is after market mags. I've had good results with factory 20 rounders.
    I think the Mini's weakness is the mags. Reliable Mini mags are hard to come by.
    People with unreliable AR's don't know how to maintain them. That includes the military

I'm the same way. Traditionally stocked rifles shoulder faster for me than pistol grip ones. I still prefer the AR

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've had good results with factory 20 rounders.
    true... I was speaking more to aftermarket mags, but who the hell wants to be limited to 20rds Ruger makes 30rd ones now, but I haven't used them or know anyone that has. They are also $35-40 each...

Mags can be an AR weakness, too.
    Yeah, magazines are the weakness of all semi autos. Thing is you can get reliable 30rd AR mags for $10-15 each. I don't think any other semi auto rifle can boast reliable magazines for so little cost. Well, HK91 mags can be had for about $2 each

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    30rd ones .... but I haven't used them or know anyone that has. They are also $35-40 each...

I have several of the 30 rounders, but have yet to really test them for reliability. For the first few uses, just range plinking, they all functioned fine. For ranch work, I keep a 10-rounder in the gun to keep it light and handy, and a 30-rounder in the door pocket (in case I get into a herd of illegals...LOL).

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have several of the 30 rounders, but have yet to really test them for reliability. For the first few uses, just range plinking, they all functioned fine. For ranch work, I keep a 10-rounder in the gun to keep it light and handy, and a 30-rounder in the door pocket (in case I get into a herd of illegals...LOL).

Top Bottom