• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'm pretty sure the consensus will be the Trijicon is a better sight. Depends on how much you are prepared to pay. The ACOG's are going to be almost twice as much as the Eotech. They have the advantage of working without batteries and give you some magnification. The Eotechs of course have no magnification unless you add a separate magnifier, and really compare closer with the Eotech reflex sights. If I could have either with costs not being an issue I'd opt for the ACOG with 1.5x for a carbine.

That said, I do have an Eotech on my carbine and like it quite a bit. Unless I forget to turn it off, I've never had it run out of juice, even during some extended range sessions.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Which model of ACOG are you looking at? They are very nice optics, but the ACOG is out of a lot of folks price range. I've got EOTechs on several different rifles and subguns and I really like them for close range stuff. They are simple and robust and work as well as iron sights, just a lot faster. A magnifier makes the EOTech do a lot more than it was originally designed for, but a good one puts it up into the range of the base model ACOGs. That being said, I've got a couple of 1st gen EOTech branded magnifiers (without the FTS mount) and they are really nice. I will be buying at least one FTS mount soon though as I plan on hitting the match circuit this year and I think that it's a hell of a neat design.

I've had a decent amount of exprerience with the ACOG on an M1a and I really enjoyed it. The only draw back I had with the ACOG is that it just wasn't easy for me to use within 100 yards. With practice, you can do it just fine, I just didn't care for it as much.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What will you use it for? The reason why I ask is because ACOG vs. EOTECH ain't the same thing as EOTECH vs. Aimpoint or vs. CMore or even BSA for that matter. IMO the ACOG serves a completely different purpose than the EOTEC out of the box. I know others will argue the quality of the ACOG and the fact that Trijicon is the greatest thing since sliced bread or the Marines use them so they must be great!!!! Honestly for the type of shooting I do, the ACOG would never be an option cause I don't need magnification and I dont like the design for CQB. With that said, determine what the rifle will be used for and then try to decide which optic would be best for you. I have been shooting carbines and using optics for quite sometime now and I still havent found the perfect optic... but I am completely satisfied with my EOTECH and Aimpoint set up's.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    In my opinion, which one to choose is dependant on your intended use for the rifle. If it is purely a home defense weapon, the Eotech will offer faster target acqusition. Also, consider that the Eotech offers unlimited eye relief whereas the acog does not.

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I run a EOTECH 512 on my M4, It is a great addition to the rifle and works excellent at 25, 35, 50 yards. It probally would work great at 100 yards, butt my old eyes can barely see that far :)

The ACOG is just to pricey for me right now. I am still waiting for that winning LOTTO ticket that I never bought.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Or you could go with a 3.5x or 4x ACOG and put a Docter mini red dot on top of it...or eotech with a magnifier. It's only money. LOL

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I have had eotechs on rifles and issued one in the marines and they are good for up to 100 yds or more on body targets. But I now run ta31f acogs they are the same ones that are in the military today. I prefer the acog over the eotech. If you just spend some money on ammo (if you have any left over after spending 700 to 1100 bucks on a acog) and train you will find that you can use it for cqb. Google bindon aiming concept and you will see what im talking about. With some practice shooting it both eyes open you will be able to put the reticle on any target in cqb range using the left eye to aquire and sight in on the target. Also with 4x magnification you can quickly aquire targets at any range and with more efficiency and accuracy than a eotech. By the time you buy a eotech and a magnifier you would have spent the same amount of money buying a acog. No one can tell you which one to get you will have to shoot each one for yourself and make that decision. On my three gun rifle I have the ta31f with the trijicon red dot on top and tell you the truth I dont use the red dot that much been thinking about taking it off cause it puts me in a diffrent class. Acogs are great optics and have a lifetime warranty and are the toughest optic out there but they are really spendy. You might be able to find one on arfcom for a good price.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    If you are free on a week day you can come up to temple and I will bring out a couple rifles one with a eotech and magnifier and one with a acog and you can shoot em up and see what you think. My range goes up to 300yds so we can stretch the rifles out a little ways.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Personally I prefer the Eotech. I know it is possible to make an AR accurate to 600yds but I am not trying to do that with mine. I have shot several scoped and eotech'd ARs and have always found the Eotech to keep pace with anything in the 100 yd range. Beyond that you do lose to the magnified optics. However, the faster target acquisition within my practical ranges make it worth that sacrifice.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    With practice you can be just as fast if not faster with a acog at any range instead of limiting your rifles effective range to 100yds or less. You could always go with a go with a variable 1x4 scope like the millet dms 1 or the meopta or a leupold

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    My bud that just got back from Iraq said that the acoq takes practice if you really wanna use the optic to its capabilities... If not go with a lesser optic... Just what he told me. He said he went through a few of them in a few years. He was upfront though so im sure they took a beating.

My deal is buy what you really need and if you buy it... use it to its full capability. When I shoot ar-15's I shoot less than 100 yards almost every time (unless im shooting way out there with a full length gun) and at those ranges I prefer to practice with open sights. I do however really like red dots for pistol calibers Ar-9 and such.

Id say get out there and try as many of them as you can before you purchase.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Inside of 200 - 300 yards the ACOG is a good choice, beyond that get a scope.

Inside of 100 yards the dot type optics like Aimpoints and EOTechs are better suited. They are faster to pick-up and have unlimited eye relief so you aren't stuck shooting from one point on the rifle or fighting to get eye relief if you are moving.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What will you use it for? The reason why I ask is because ACOG vs. EOTECH ain't the same thing as EOTECH vs. Aimpoint or vs. CMore or even BSA for that matter. IMO the ACOG serves a completely different purpose than the EOTEC out of the box. I know others will argue the quality of the ACOG and the fact that Trijicon is the greatest thing since sliced bread or the Marines use them so they must be great!!!! Honestly for the type of shooting I do, the ACOG would never be an option cause I don't need magnification and I dont like the design for CQB. With that said, determine what the rifle will be used for and then try to decide which optic would be best for you. I have been shooting carbines and using optics for quite sometime now and I still havent found the perfect optic... but I am completely satisfied with my EOTECH and Aimpoint set up's.

This.

Though I've thought about splitting the difference with one of those Millett 1-4x variables...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    This.

Though I've thought about splitting the difference with one of those Millett 1-4x variables...

I've got a gigantic Millett scope on a AR that I really like and I almost got one of these for a short .308 I'm planning. I read some reviews and got another EOTech instead. I really wanted to like the 1-4x Milletts, I just couldn't get past the negative reviews.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Burris makes a nice affordable magnifier. Not EOTech or Aimpoint standards but easily better than airsoft stuff. Hell I would put a Primary Arms on before a airsoft piece.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you can find those larue po boy magnifiers thats a good deal and pretty good glass on it

They're not to be found anymore. Apparently all the Panzerfaust sights have dried up...

The others mentioned don't seem like they'd work, unless someone knows a flip-out magnifier other than LaRue because the LaRue ring doesn't actually open up.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom