• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX-Badger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    I'm flying up to Wisconsin and want to bring my carry firearm with me. I read through the TSA and airline guidelines for traveling with a firearm and ammunition. Anyone have any other helpful tips/advice or experiences flying out of DFW checking their firearm in their checked baggage? Thank you for input, this is my first time flying after having my LTC and bringing my concealed carry with me.
    Gun Zone Deals

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Buy and use a very good top TSA firearms case. I prefer SKB and have been using that line for nearly 20 years with zero problems. Mine is a double long rifle/shotgun carrier that I also pack full with ammo on the same trip. It has life saving WHEELS to ROLL your heavy stuff through the airports. Wheels are a must unless you are using a small pistol case which I would use an attachment to place it on your wheeled luggage. Wheels are a must.

If you have read through the TSA and then the airline rules (they can be different from one another) you will be A OK. Believe it or not the TSA makes it somewhat easy to get through this process if again, you follow the rules. I have had inexperienced junior TSA agents that will show their ignorance and fear of firearms. They just hire them and throw them on the line so it is your job to remain cool, helpful, and calm through the process all the while following the rules.

One example I have is when I went through the ATL airport on one of my many trips. the short little Jamaican looking dude with his hair all wrapped up in a stitched up colorful hat was obviously new. He saw me and immediately though I was military and asked what arm of the forces I was in. I just kept on going forward while he dragged my case to the inspection table. When we got there I unlocked the case and open the latches. When the lid came open his eyes lit up and he screeched "OMG!" "is that a sniper rifle!". I told him no and kept an eye on the other guys now forming a circle around my case and the table. They were asking all sots of questions and some were answering them with some severely wrong material. They were visible intimidated by me and my equipment which made for some hilarious observations. I let them get through their excitement and closed the case and went on through with no problems.

You'll never know what you'll get and each time can be different. Just remember that when you go through all of the people you are interacting with have ZERO experience with firearms and the only material they know is what they see in movies or watch on TV. You have the advantage since you are the most experienced so remain calm and follow the rules.

What case to you have for your trip?

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Is it a direct flight?

It is possible depending on which airport, city, and check-in procedures that you can quickly find yourself in violation of local laws. Be sure to research any places where you have a layover.

TX-Badger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    I've got a XL SnapSafe lockbox for my pistol, which is also big enough to hold one box of carry ammunition.

I have a direct flight from DFW to MSN.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I've got a XL SnapSafe lockbox for my pistol, which is also big enough to hold one box of carry ammunition.

I have a direct flight from DFW to MSN.

If this is what you are talking about http://www.snapsafe.com/snapsafe-lockbox-xl.html that does not have a TSA approved lock on it to allow you to fly with that box.

xlaz.jpg

Again, it must have a TSA lock on the container to allow it to go onto the airplane.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    While many will tell you to use a TSA approved lock, this is actually prohibited by 49CFR 1540.111, the regulation that governs firearm transportation.

§ 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals. (a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—
    (1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;
    (2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or
    (3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§ 1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.
    (b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:
    (1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.​
    (2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§ 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.​
    (3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.​
    (c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:
    (1) Any loaded firearm(s).
    (2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
    (i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
    (ii) The firearm is unloaded;
    (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
    (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
    (3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.​
    (d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The best way to do it is to get a hard case of some kind that all of your belongings you intend to check can fit in. You can put the unloaded gun in a pistol rug, ammo in the factory box, and lock the whole thing with good ole pad locks. Keeps the sticky fingers away from everything.

I read an article awhile back about a photographer who was tired of having his equipment stolen by baggage handlers, so he started packing a starter pistol with his cameras. It was a really good read, but I can't find it now :p

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Simple, short answer from someone who has done this:

1. Place firearm, UNLOADED, in a locked, hard-sided box that does not use a TSA-accessible lock.
    2. Place locked, hard-sided box inside your luggage.
    3. Place ammo in original container (or hard-sided ammo box) "that protects the primers" inside your luggage. Some airlines allow this to be stored in magazines in that separate container, some don't - I wouldn't chance it.
    4. Your choice on whether you use a TSA-accessible lock or not on the outside luggage lock (e.g. the one built into your suitcase, etc.).
    5. Declare firearm at CHECK-IN counter (not at TSA). Sign declaration form, place in "outer" bag (not firearm lockbox). Airline MIGHT want to inspect, might not - depends on the agent.
    6. Lock outer bag.
    7. You'll be directed to walk your luggage over to a special TSA station (usually for "oversized luggage"), tell the TSA agent you have a declared firearm, and watch it clear screening/be placed on the belt for flight.
    8. That's it.
    9. Usually, there's NO reason to open it for TSA. They don't inspect it. If they do, you're well within your rights to ask for a "three-striper" or police officer to come supervise to ensure they don't get stupid on you. I've never had this happen.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Have fun in Wisconsin. Grab some cheese curds for me. Only really strange laws they have about licensed carry is that school zones are still prohibited. Go ahead and carry in one of the bars but if so don't drink at all.
    Milwaukee is still a bit sore about new gun laws there and can be a bit bullyish in town.

Open carry is unlicensed.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    While many will tell you to use a TSA approved lock, this is actually prohibited by 49CFR 1540.111, the regulation that governs firearm transportation.

§ 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals. (a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—
    (1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;
    (2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or
    (3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§ 1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.
    (b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:
    (1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.​
    (2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§ 1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.​
    (3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.​
    (c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:
    (1) Any loaded firearm(s).
    (2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—
    (i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;
    (ii) The firearm is unloaded;
    (iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and
    (iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.
    (3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.​
    (d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

Thanks for the correction. Quite possibly this is what I was thinking of. "

• Trigger release latches can be retrofitted with TSA accepted key locking latches."

That is what mine has.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    That is the case I have, bought it for other reasons than traveling with it, but was hopeful I could use to travel with as well. I thought I read that the TSA stated here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

I appreciate the info, if needed I will go and buy a different box for traveling with my carry pistol.

I wouldn't use that box (I have two of them) since it would be too easy for a baggage handler to break into it and steal your gun. I would use a much stronger and safer case meant for travel and abuse. That metal case is meant for smash and grab auto theft and quick access or at least that is what it is marketed for.

https://www.skbcases.com/sports/products.php?cat=10

3i-1209-4b-l_open_large.png

Put some pad locks through the loops. I have also seen where some guys put a strap around the case to help in keeping it shut and to increase the time it would take getting into it. Not sure if that works but it did look solid. I did buy one as a scratch and dent at a LGS for half off which was nice since the case was over $250 retail. Academy has some cases and a few look good but I am unsure of the brand?

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I wouldn't use that box (I have two of them) since it would be too easy for a baggage handler to break into it and steal your gun. I would use a much stronger and safer case meant for travel and abuse. That metal case is meant for smash and grab auto theft and quick access or at least that is what it is marketed for.

https://www.skbcases.com/sports/products.php?cat=10

3i-1209-4b-l_open_large.png

Put some pad locks through the loops. I have also seen where some guys put a strap around the case to help in keeping it shut and to increase the time it would take getting into it. Not sure if that works but it did look solid. I did buy one as a scratch and dent at a LGS for half off which was nice since the case was over $250 retail. Academy has some cases and a few look good but I am unsure of the brand?

Even this type of case appears to be more secure than they really are.

Most have external hinges that are not much more than interlocking polymer fingers with a steel hinge pin that can be pushed out.

Last edited:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Last time I did it I used one of these. I had it stuffed with clothes, knives, camping gear, etc... Cary gun was in a pistol rug and shotgun was just laid in there. Both packed on top in case they wanted to inspect it. Ammo was left in it's factory box. Three pad locks cross the front. Only person that had the keys was me. Worked like a champ!

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-storage-locker?repChildCatid=1584797
    10489400.jpg

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Even this type of case appears to be more secure than they really are.

Most have external hinges that are not much more than interlocking polymer fingers with a steel hinge pin that can be pushed out.
    Pretty much all of these cases can be busted open without much effort. The object is to just not make it simple for a little snatch and grab (plus comply with the rules). We're talking about very opportunistic criminals here. Most of them wouldn't even want to steal a gun because that would create a real investigation where petty theft won't.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've only travelled once with a firearm since all the post-9/11 rules went into effect. I got a good case and a pair of locks, and I made sure I read all the rules. I also got a Tile locator. https://www.thetileapp.com/ That way if someone made off with the pistol case, I could track it with my phone. Some observations:

First, I couldn't believe that some of the baggage check people knew NOTHING about the rules. One asked me why I didn't just shove the pistol in the suitcase with my clothes. "People do that all the time." WTF?!? One airline made me open the case, checked the firearm, and put paperwork inside the case. The other airline asked me not to open the case, but had me stick around for a bit in case one of the managers decided to check the pistol. Very confusing.

Second, another surprise to me was that there was a fairly big fuss at check-in, but then the pistol came out on the conveyor belt (both airlines) with all the other baggage. As with a lot of the airline security, it's really "security theater".

Regardless of what any of the airport people did, I made a point of following the rules as explicitly as I could.

Top Bottom