• ...and so much more!
  • TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I don't know sh** about welding, but I'm in charge of the torch cutting contest for the Bexar county agricultural mechanics show at the county livestock show in December. We will have middle & high school kids competing in torch skills. I need some ideas for the contests.

For example, burn a hole through a piece of plate. Hole has to let a 3/8 bolt drop in without dropping through. Speed cut through angle or pipe. Stuff like that.

Anyone have ideas or experience?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Shapes....Say like the ones IMHSA uses? (chicken, pig, turkey & ram) Stars? Dollar or Cent signs?

Straight cuts..

Neither with "shark teeth"...

Bevel cut...should be no slag on the "keeper" side...

Round holes (3/8" is too small)...go for 3/4" or 1" ...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you can, some brazing skills. Have them braze 2 pieces of cast iron together, then strength-test them.

WELD with that torch using clothes-hanger wire as the welding "rod".

Any of the above skills tests w/shapes....but a timed event, with a maximum of 3 minutes. The average spectator is going to be bored after a few minutes - so keep things moving.

If you get into a tie situation, have them do any of the above w/their OFF hand.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I built a cattle trailer as a junior in HS.

It was my AG project. My dad used it till he died.

Many school AG shops now have plasma cutters.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Couple of ways to go with this.

Head to head race: take a section of I-beam; contestant must cut a 1” profile section off. First won finishing wins. Double elimination, losers go to losers bracket, winners keep advancing. If the section doesn’t maintain at least 1” thickness on the cut off part, they’re DQ’d. Only the other challenger can challenge against thickness.

‘Art’ skills. 1/4” sheet. Contestants cut a 4H clover to a spec. Fastest time wins, deviation from spec adds a penalty time per deviation.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    These boys are gonna be working on the farm/ranch. Should be from a salvage yard, with plenty of rust/scale/old paint on it. It's easy to do good work on clean steel - the trick is to make GOOD welds on steel on an old trailer/gate/cattle guard.
    Oh - and toss in some overhead welds, too.....<evil grin> I might add that everything I've suggested I've done - and I'm not NEARLY as good as many others here likely are.

Top Bottom