• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I really like home automation and remote control, but like you all I'm leery of the package deals that come from your service or utility provider. One of my coworkers has the full package from ATT. He has cameras and can unlock his doors remotely. Pretty cool stuff, but it gives me the willies to know that it's all managed by ATT. Anyone at ATT can watch him and unlock his house. ATT also colludes with the government for surveillance, and they have immunity from being sued for it as a telecommunications provider. If I were to install home automation, I'd find a roll your own solution.

What can you do about proliferation of "smart" equipment? Well, a lot actually. Cheapest solution will be to not buy new stuff. Get your old stuff repaired, or shop second hand. If you have to buy a smart appliance, internal antennas can be disconnected or wrapped in grounded foil to block the signal. In some cases you can even mod the software yourself; make it do what you want it to. There is a pretty active modding community for things like smart phones and game consoles, and people make tutorials for the less savvy to follow. The same will happen for smart appliances as they become more popular.
    You are ten ring!

IF you can do it from a smart fone, they can do it too and the govt can and as we all know...WILL! Wife and I recently bought all new appliances for our home remodel, but we were sure to not purchase any "smart" enabled products. That said we could not escape smart on the TV we just bought, Sammy 75", bottom of the line, but still smart enabled. Its not going to be hooked up to the internet. We bought it because its BIG. Its just over 16' from wall to wall and not sure its going to be a big as we think from that far away.

Yes, I expect there will be a major market in "jailbreak' software hacks. My wife runs her fone in jailbreak mode, me, well, its so rare I call or anyone calls me I could care less.
    Target Sports

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    where i used to live, they forced the smart meters on people by using large fines/surcharges. needless to say, most if not all complied. Not sure if they do that here or not.

They did it to us in Frisco without any choices. Just a warning that if you had a dog to get it out of the way or it might end up "disposed" of when they got here. Same goes for the gas company when they had some bullshit about switching out "some meters". Our was changed out bc we do not use much gas and they could not believe that two people only used what we did. When the guy came out I had no choice but to let me into my home to "witness" an appliance using the gas to make sure we were safe.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    For years I have given this advice and I will repeat it here: At your first opportunity MOVE outside of the city limits. Move where there is no HOA, no incorporated areas close or nearby, READ the deed restrictions very closely. IF at all possible buy "Unrestricted land with mineral rights".

Top Bottom