• ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    You can't see through window glass?

You can't even see through a plastic bag, much less see through a pain of glass. That is because you aren't looking at visible energy, but heat energy. If the barrier protects you from the head/cold, it will be opaque to thermal. So glass will perform like a wall or as noted, like a mirror.

It is for this reason, in part, that thermal is not considered good for navigating as you can't drive with it inside your truck unless your truck is missing its windows.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Just got the ts25-384 rattler, works great. Works in daylight too. For uncooled detection, very good picture. Not a sensitive as Mil FLIR but good. I did some FLIR (Mk68) design work a long time ago. You can't see through window glass?
    Nope glass is opaque to the wavelengths thermal detects.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Should have been a period vs question mark. Of course you can't see through window glass. My boo-boo. The rattler viewis much better than my ATN monocle.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Been watching this, had extensive courses in the physics of “photomultiplication” & “image intensification” years back.

This is one of those areas which seem to defy economics, as technology evolves & greater demand spurs research & competition, prices fall while quality improves.

Kinda like the big screen color TV market was a few years back.

Therefore, I just wait while things get better.

Please continue these user reports.

Thanks.

<>

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    gonna be a while as the cost is in the detector, only 2 makers. Mil is main market. First time hunting with it Fri nite. Saw 4 hogs going to the feeder, 70 yds. through tall weeds. Funny, first shot, one 'sat' down and the others just looked around. 5 more shots, they finnaly just lumbered off. Sitting on ATV, BO pistol so not a steady mount. Gotta figure out something as I can't stand or walk very far. Also only zero'd @~40 yds on 1x. Sight pic of the 25-384 rattler is much better than my ATN monocle.
    Forgot to add, if you use a cell phone, vids can go to it directly as the AGM can be a hot spot, cell service not needed. I didn't take mine with me unfortunately.

Last edited:

ikura56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2023
    DFW
    Anyone have any experience with AGM thermals, such as the AGM Rattler?

TIA
    I just got a rattler ts19 for 770 used off Amazon. For the price, I am very pleased. Right now some are 20 percent off. As far as the resolution, it's not great, I could see animals walking in the field last night. I just got it yesterday so I'm still figuring it out. The ts19 is the cheapest and you get what you pay for. The ts25 is a little under 1k used. The ts25 384 is 1500 but the zoom is 1.5 vs 3.5. I think the ts25 would have been a little better but it's Amazon so I can return it if I'm not pleased.
    Anyone have any experience with AGM thermals, such as the AGM Rattler?

TIA

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    IMG_6511.png

Sounder of hogs at 100 yards through my Rattler clip on and a 4x scope

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    View attachment 390775
    Sounder of hogs at 100 yards through my Rattler clip on and a 4x scope
    I know I'm slow on the follow up question, but....

Is that 640 or 384?
    What was the ambient temp?

I want a rattler to augment my Flir LS32, but I'm worried all I'll see in the Texas heat is hot rocks. I can stand 35 yards from a deer in front of a wood fence and not see it with my LS32 during a summer day.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I know I'm slow on the follow up question, but....

Is that 640 or 384?
    What was the ambient temp?

I want a rattler to augment my Flir LS32, but I'm worried all I'll see in the Texas heat is hot rocks. I can stand 35 yards from a deer in front of a wood fence and not see it with my LS32 during a summer day.

It was January and if I had to guess is was in the 50s

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Rattler does have one shot zero, called 'freeze' in the reticle menu. I zero'd mine on a 95F day. Target (B&W) was a bit fuzzy but SIL used the spotter scope to 'call' the shots. Couldn't see the holes at that temp but could discern trees and stuff in the background.

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    Thanks for all the inputs. I ended up getting a great deal on the iray mk1 from feral outdoors in central Texas. They were great to deal with. The Iray gets its first field test tonight.

But again, wanted to thank you guys for the input on the agm.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Thanks for all the inputs. I ended up getting a great deal on the iray mk1 from feral outdoors in central Texas. They were great to deal with. The Iray gets its first field test tonight.

But again, wanted to thank you guys for the input on the agm.

That is where I got my rattler. Great guys there

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    I wanted local in texas. They have an amazing selection. They are happy to test one unit against another. Their knowledge was great. They actually go out and use these devices nightly. They were running a good sale from Iray. I called them up and discussed it with them. They held a unit for me to drive the 2 hrs to come review it and purchase in person. I will use them for anything else I need. Great people.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    @or.slacker and @Hoji

What made you choose “feral outdoors in central Texas”? How did you originally find out about them?

Thanks
    Pretty much what @or.slacker said. I walked in ready to spend $4k and after talking with the guy in the store, he down sold me. Walked out spending 2600 and had what I needed.

He would have been happy to sell me a 4-5k unit, but after a conservation he directed me to one that fit my needs better for almost half the money.

I will be making the 1.5 hour drive back there when I get my next one.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Son in law just bought one, sister in law's dog got out last night, we drove all around searching. He had it connected to a tablet and held it out the window. First time I'd seen it, great picture, multiple modes, really has me thinking I need one! Saw a lot of small animals, possums and cats.

After a couple hours searching, dog was found in her bedroom under the bed. Sister in law has stage four lymphatic cancer and is often highly medicated.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    "worried all I'll see in the Texas heat is hot rocks" Rattler 384 x 25 worked fine @ 90F, when I sighted it in. ATN monocle wasn't as good, saw lot of hot rocks. Still good enough to see trees, etc. Rocks don't move!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Buyer's paralysis, LOL. When it comes to technology, things tend to get better and cheaper over time. You can wait forever for things to get better and when they do, they will still be inferior to what the future will hold from there.

<>

No, I currently have no place to hunt hogs. The one place I can go annually has the ‘’feeder lamps’’.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with you here.

Many of the largeTexas ranches with paid hunts now deal only with large groups and corporate organizations.

I have a few deer on my places in LA, but have never seen hogs or hog sign on either place.

So, one bought now would just age in the safe.

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom