• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    Ok, dad wants an air gun for Christmas for taking out mostly rabbits in his small garden.
    The problem is I know nothing about the different brands and their reliability.
    Also, when I was a kid all we had were CO2 and pump....what are all these other kinds of air rifles out there? PCP, Nitro Piston, etc.

I need something he can easily charge/cock.
    I know the CO2 cartridges can get costly if you go through them petty quickly and I don't want something he is going to have to pump up 20 times to get max effectiveness.

What brands are you familiar with or would recommend for a 65 yr old man that is only getting older?

Thanks!!

-MM218
    Venture Surplus ad

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I'd be concerned with hand strength as you pointed out his age. The C02 isn't that costly. This way he can have multiple shots on demand and no pumping noise/issues.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    That would be nice. I just don't want to buy him something that is going to end up making him spend money from time to time.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    I have been interested in a "Pellet" rifle for some time also. The market is very confusing as there is so much to choose from. May find my answer in this thread.

Thanks
    Brad

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah. They have some new rifles that hold an 88oz can capable of 500 shots. Otherwise, go for the spring powered, only down side is they are signer shot, then reload....but, they are capable of 1000ft per second.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I picked up some of the CCI CB 22LR today and going to give em a shot a little later and see what I think.
    (no pun intended)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I keep some CBs around, out of a rifle they seem as quiet or quieter than many high velocity pellet guns but the trajectory sucks, not sure how the noise compares to the newer guns with the ported muzzle, they claim to be much quieter. Used to have some of the primer fired 20gr aguillas, very underpowered but almost no noise. I imagine they would do fine for rabbits inside 30 yrds with a head shot and would save him the pumping or cocking a spring powered gun which can take some muscle depending on the gun.

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    350.00 for a pellet gun for him to use once in a while on Rodger Rabbit is a little excessive.
    Hopefully these CCI CB rounds will work out.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Buy a Henry lever .22 because they shoot shorts, longs, and long rifle. Use .22 shorts and you wont piss off the neighbors. Pellet guns can be pretty loud. On the other hand, if he lives out in the boonies and has no neigbors, buy a .357 cuz they are fun.

cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    My 72 year old dad likes his benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak that he has had since before I was born. His eyes now like the scope I put on it a few years ago, but its the same gun.
    C-

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I had a crosman storm XT, 1000 fps would launch hollow point pellets through a standard wooden fence board. I think it would shoot even faster with JBA raptor pellets, but I never tried those. I can only imagine the penetration on something with a pointy nose.

Only problem is it's single shot, and it takes some maneuvering to cock it for each shot.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The Gamo 1000, capable of driving a .177 pellet at 1000 fps.

Has a grooved receiver to mount a scope.

No Co2 cartridges needed, as it is a break-open air pump design.

Made in Spain, rifled barrel, and will put match pellets in a dime-sized circle at 15 feet all day long.

Got mine at Academy a few years ago for about $129 + cost of the scope.

I consider it money well-spent.

Be well.

mike9905

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Stevensville, Maryland
    Medicman: I just turned 66 and don't tell me I'm too weak to pump up a pneumatic or I will hurt you. I love my Sheridan Blue Streak 5 mm but I don't think they are still available. RWS M45 spring power is an option.

Top Bottom