• ...and so much more!
  • TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Suggestions for AK47 home defense ammo

anyone have a suggestion as a good home defense round for my AK?

I have wolf 122gr HP and another round that came in some paper with twine around it that I got years ago.
    Hurley's Gold

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I know the 7.62x39 ammo is pretty much limited. Not sure if you'll be able to find defense ammo like TAP. You would figure that this bullet is not geared for long range, that there would be more defense ammo for it. There's only "A K-gillion" of these rifles in the world...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There are commercially available soft points, those would be better suited for defense, but honestly, you are going to punch a hole in someone and whatever is behind them pretty easy with any rifle round, especially one with inertia like a .30-caliber bullet. Make sure the hollow point is cut into the core, if it's just the jacket continued then it's not really going to act the same, it'll be like a wadcutter with a nose cone.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    There are commercially available soft points, those would be better suited for defense, but honestly, you are going to punch a hole in someone and whatever is behind them pretty easy with any rifle round, especially one with inertia like a .30-caliber bullet. Make sure the hollow point is cut into the core, if it's just the jacket continued then it's not really going to act the same, it'll be like a wadcutter with a nose cone.

+1. Wolf HP's rarely ever "mushroom" after hitting a soft target. Shoot some cinder blocks and then you'll get expansion, otherwise it's just a bullet with a hole in the top. In all honesty, at home defense ranges, it really doesn't matter if you've got FMJ's or HP's (for Wolf at least). That bullet is going to have alot of kinetic energy and will slice through numerous layers of drywall like a hot knife in butter.

Top Bottom