• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    How yall doin? I'm new to this forum stuff so bare with me.
    I got an AK-74 and just recently purchased a scope mount and a cheap little red dot. I just want to get your opinions on it, thanks. It ain't pretty, but it sure as hell goes bang every time you pull the trigger.
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited by a moderator:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    AK plus red dot equals win! The side mount works alright, but you end up with a cheek weld that's a little high. If you want to do it even better.... AK-47 Accessories, AK-47 Mini-14, Mini-30, M1 .30 Carbine Scout Scope Mount from UltiMAK

That mount looks low enough that you should get a 1/3 co-witness with your iron sights. Unless it's a really bad red dot, it'll help you get your red dot zeroed and help you confirm it stays that way...

I'm not even worried about the looks side of it. My AK wears much-scratched Krylon with pride. :D AKs are prettier when they're uglier.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    AK's love reddots. And once you decide you like the red-dot too, ditch that setup and get an Ultimak and an Aimpoint H1 and you'll be good to go.

My opinion is that the aluminum UTG airsoft-junk mount and knockoff sight are good for plinking and testing the red-dot waters, but not serious work. Besides being of dubious quality, that setup is too high for a proper cheekweld and doesn't allow you to co-witness the irons. Which, if you had a decent scope wouldn't be a bad thing but that knockoff will fail someday and you'll need the irons. Did it even zero way up there?

However, that's your first post so let me welcome you to TGT and say good for you for experimenting with something that might actually improve your capability with the rifle and not succumbing to the temptation to put some crap on your rifle like an AR15 stock or a railed handguard and vertical foregrip.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Looks like M.Sage types faster than I do so he beat me by a few minutes but we both said just about the same thing! Haha...
    Except I don't think there's any way that the OP setup will co-witness.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not if he keeps it on that rail, but I think if he moves the sight to an Ultimak it will.

The good thing about those side mounts? They come off really fast. Throw the lever and pull the mount, it's gone.

And yes, it'll zero up there. I ran an EOTech on a similar mount for a while. Did just fine with that setup, even though my chin-weld kind of sucked. Even humbled a few AR shooters at carbine matches.

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    What up guys, thanks for replying. This was just going to be for plinking at the range. But like WadeP said if I find out I like shooting with a red dot system then I'm probably gona save me some money and get me a good quality optic and a good mount. I'm going to the range later so I will try and bring back some pics.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    What up guys, thanks for replying. This was just going to be for plinking at the range. But like WadeP said if I find out I like shooting with a red dot system then I'm probably gona save me some money and get me a good quality optic and a good mount. I'm going to the range later so I will try and bring back some pics.

You can't go wrong with an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 on the Ultimak.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can't go wrong with an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 on the Ulimak.

That's where I'd like to go, but even the Comp M2 is a good fit.

Aimpoints and AKs have some things in common... They're rugged, I'm not scared of what will happen to either if they encounter dirt, mud, sand or rocks. And both will probably be working long after I'm in the ground.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Here's a pic of a Comp M2 on an Ultimak. The mount is a plain 30mm low weaver ring. It's a nice setup.

100_2169.jpg

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    I like that setup, but I would prefer a good mount that goes on the side of the receiver. If I found out nobody makes some good ones like that, then I will get the ultimak in a heartbeat. I have been looking around and seen nothing but cheap UTG mounts. Although I did come across some called Molot, or Kalinka side mounts, I don't have any pics of them but I did read somewhere that these are made in the same factory where they make Vepr AKs.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Here's a pic of a Comp M2 on an Ultimak. The mount is a plain 30mm low weaver ring. It's a nice setup.

100_2169.jpg

AK-101!!

I like that setup, but I would prefer a good mount that goes on the side of the receiver. If I found out nobody makes some good ones like that, then I will get the ultimak in a heartbeat. I have been looking around and seen nothing but cheap UTG mounts. Although I did come across some called Molot, or Kalinka side mounts, I don't have any pics of them but I did read somewhere that these are made in the same factory where they make Vepr AKs.

The side mounts put the optic too high. You'll never get a side-mount that will co-witness. After running both, the Ultimak is way better developed and sleek, it makes the side-mount seem clunky and crude by comparison. The pictured setup is almost identical to what I'm running, and the only thing I'd consider changing is to a smaller Aimpoint.

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    I was going to post earlier but had to switch internet providers because of all the bullshit at att. It looks like a great set up. Does that ultimak rail replace the gas tube?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I was going to post earlier but had to switch internet providers because of all the bullshit at att. It looks like a great set up. Does that ultimak rail replace the gas tube?

Yep. It's slightly shorter than the standard gas tube and is held on by two u-bolts that go around the barrel.

spitstickler

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Flower Mound
    Another option is: .Texas Weapon Systems, Dog Leg scope rail

Thread covering it's creation and the upcoming release of version 2 here: Dog Leg scope rail - Page 47 - AR15.COM I've been following this thread and hoping that it comes back from beta test with glowing reviews.

I personally just don't like scout setups, so I never tried the ultimak. However, I have been down the road with several of the side mount scope options. UTG, Kalinka BP-O2, etc. Most of them have left a lot to be desired. Best side mount IMHO is probably from KVAR KV-O4, ~100$. It is actually centered over the bore, fairly low, and mostly returns to zero.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've seen setups similar to that, but they tend to be a bit heavy.

For the "scout" mounting of a red dot, it really doesn't matter where you put it. It's always in focus, you've got unlimited eye relief and your eyes should be focused on the target anyway. IMO it keeps your field of vision a little clearer without having a negative affect on the ability to get good hits.

Top Bottom