• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Trust me, they didn't come easy or cheap; but I am glad I hunted them down. You see them for sale at gun shows here in SA on occasion but unfortunately prices have gone up considerably since I picked mine up a few years ago. They are running $500-550 whereas you used to be able to find them at $350-400 before folks realized they are a bit rarer than the average SKS...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For some reason I think I would prefer an SKS that (from the factory) accepts AK mags to an actual AK.

I know I've pretty much lost the urge to get an AK since getting a "regular" SKS.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    For some reason I think I would prefer an SKS that (from the factory) accepts AK mags to an actual AK.

I know I've pretty much lost the urge to get an AK since getting a "regular" SKS.

While I love SKS rifles, they are really a different breed of cat compared to an AK. The Kalashnikov will always reign supreme as the gun that changed the world, probably the ultimate weapon of mass destruction that has become as much of a myth, icon and legend than it has a firearm.

As military weapons, the AK is much more practical. The higher capacity magazines, shorter barrel and basic ergonomics combined with its excellent reputation for reliability is what made the AK what it is. The SKS was obsolete as soon as the AK was adopted, but that doesn't make it any less great as a rifle. It's just not an AK though...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't disagree that the AK has certain advantages, but the SKS fills the same roll for me and since I probably wouldn't budget for very many mags it works out well that I could put 300+ rounds on stripper clips at very little cost.

I wish it had a better trigger, but that's my only complaint. I've seen modifications but don't shoot it enough to bother.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If AKs were readily available in the original design (full auto) and at a reasonable price I would feel differently.

Top Bottom