• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob1796

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Colleyville
    I've been looking at getting a rifle in a harder hitting caliber, and the events of this week have stepped the plan up considerably. Almost all the .308 semi auto rifles are way out of the price range, and so I've been looking at the AKs and SKSs. I'm open to arguments towards either. Any suggestions?
    Target Sports

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    You may have a problem finding the AK's and SKS's.I tried to order an AK for a customer but they are not available.Everyone is freaking out and buying them up.You will also notice that the price's for AK's have increased.

Rob1796

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Colleyville
    Why not an AR? Is it not hard enough hitting?

Rather have something around the thirty caliber range, and the .308 ARs are outrageously out of my price range. Besides, even with the prices in AKs climbing, the one I was looking at last weekend was $450. Even if it went up $300 in price, it would still be cheaper than the cheapest AR I was able to find.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    J&G sales is out of AK's.I just went to there web site and they only had the PSL in stock.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I've been looking at getting a rifle in a harder hitting caliber, and the events of this week have stepped the plan up considerably. Almost all the .308 semi auto rifles are way out of the price range, and so I've been looking at the AKs and SKSs. I'm open to arguments towards either. Any suggestions?

Seems that nobody has really answered your question yet. I have both and I like the AK for self defense as a short range urban type weapon. The SKS is generally a little more accurate, though the difference in accuracy is meaningless if you plan on house-to-house type operations. If you need an all around gun, for hunting, self defense, etc, then the SKS might be right for you. But I prefer the AK with high cap mags where accuracy is good enough and firepower and reliability is top notch.

But I will probably grab my M1A SOCOM in .308 for a SHTF rifle since I like the way the .308 acts when it hits the target. The SOCOM is short and has virtually no recoil. With a 20 round mag, and an EoTech sight, its a good set up for me.

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    I would get a brand new Saiga in 7.62x39 in 16" barrel. Later down the road you can convert it over to an AK or leave it stock. To me its like having a modernized SKS.

seattleducati

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Austin
    AK over SKS for onve very good reason, LOADING. For the most part (and yes I know there are a few Norinco sks's that accept AK mags) you'll have 10 rounds with an SKS, then use stripper clips to reload. With the AK all you do is drop the mag and load another. As for accuracy, they're both about equal, and I think the AR group has brainwashed the general population with "AK's are unreliably inaccurate," that's just not true.
    If you "need" to kill a human sized object at 300 yards or less an AK will do the job just fine.
    Replacement parts are also going to be cheaper and more obtainable than an SKS as well.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    both are great guns (AR and AK)....both parts are readily available. ammo is even about the same price in most places. 7.69 hits a little harder. AR is a little more accurate, but that isnt an issue unless you are trying to get on the olympic team.
    i say buy one of each.....

seattleducati

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Austin
    His question was AK or SKS, not AR vs AK...that's why in one of the threads he posted the quesiton again. So back to my posting, parts are easier to get for an AK over an SKS...but like you said, about comp. when speaking AK to AR, and up until last week 7.62 was A LOT CHEAPER than 223/556

Also, AK's and SKS shoot 7.62 x 39 not 7.69

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    His question was AK or SKS, not AR vs AK...that's why in one of the threads he posted the quesiton again. So back to my posting, parts are easier to get for an AK over an SKS...but like you said, about comp. when speaking AK to AR, and up until last week 7.62 was A LOT CHEAPER than 223/556

Also, AK's and SKS shoot 7.62 x 39 not 7.69

Ah Ha, I did not notice that. I must have been distracted. I was thinking 7.62x39 and blended it into 7.69!!!

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    If you're trying to stay around $300 then definately go with an SKS and then get you a couple of boxes of stripper clips and a cheapo chicom bandoleer - they work very well.

The SKS is more accurate than the AK though this makes little practical difference in application. But they are and they can be charged very quickly - don't really loose much to the detachable mag rifles. But don't mess with the 30 aftermarket mags unless you go with the tapco replacement stock/kit which I hear work pretty well. But then, you may as well go with an AK at that point...

Check gunbroker for SKS's there are a bunch on there right now.

If you want to pop for a little more, then go with an AK - you can get one from the wholesalers for under $400 and have it shipped to your dealer for the transfer fee - this should be around $25 is all.

Nothing wrong with a good Romanian WASR. And then get at least 7 mags - more is better.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have both and when it comes to defense the AK will be what I grab for. You can also hunt with one despite what others may say. For more info on AK's be it pricing or just info check out theakforum.net

Rob1796

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Colleyville
    Seems that nobody has really answered your question yet. I have both and I like the AK for self defense as a short range urban type weapon. The SKS is generally a little more accurate, though the difference in accuracy is meaningless if you plan on house-to-house type operations. If you need an all around gun, for hunting, self defense, etc, then the SKS might be right for you. But I prefer the AK with high cap mags where accuracy is good enough and firepower and reliability is top notch.

I'm leaning more towards the AK at this point. Magazine capacity and reliability are awesome for it.

But I will probably grab my M1A SOCOM in .308 for a SHTF rifle since I like the way the .308 acts when it hits the target. The SOCOM is short and has virtually no recoil. With a 20 round mag, and an EoTech sight, its a good set up for me.

Same here, I'd love one of the shorter M1As. But again, cost is just through the roof.

Vicente

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    SW Houston
    If you're trying to stay around $300 then definately go with an SKS and then get you a couple of boxes of stripper clips and a cheapo chicom bandoleer - they work very well.

The SKS is more accurate than the AK though this makes little practical difference in application. But they are and they can be charged very quickly - don't really loose much to the detachable mag rifles. But don't mess with the 30 aftermarket mags unless you go with the tapco replacement stock/kit which I hear work pretty well. But then, you may as well go with an AK at that point...

Check gunbroker for SKS's there are a bunch on there right now.

If you want to pop for a little more, then go with an AK - you can get one from the wholesalers for under $400 and have it shipped to your dealer for the transfer fee - this should be around $25 is all.

Nothing wrong with a good Romanian WASR. And then get at least 7 mags - more is better.
    i would like to know where i can find an AK under 400 nowadays, or an SKS under 300

Top Bottom