AK or SKS?

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Rob1796, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Rob1796

Rob1796 Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Colleyville
    I've been looking at getting a rifle in a harder hitting caliber, and the events of this week have stepped the plan up considerably. Almost all the .308 semi auto rifles are way out of the price range, and so I've been looking at the AKs and SKSs. I'm open to arguments towards either. Any suggestions?

2. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    You may have a problem finding the AK's and SKS's.I tried to order an AK for a customer but they are not available.Everyone is freaking out and buying them up.You will also notice that the price's for AK's have increased.

3. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

You should try JG sales I just bought a Romanian PSL sniper from them and had it in 5 days, they have AK's and SKS's also.
    also AIM surplus.

4. Lumberjack98

Lumberjack98 Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    Why not an AR? Is it not hard enough hitting?

5. Rob1796

Rob1796 Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Colleyville
    Rather have something around the thirty caliber range, and the .308 ARs are outrageously out of my price range. Besides, even with the prices in AKs climbing, the one I was looking at last weekend was $450. Even if it went up $300 in price, it would still be cheaper than the cheapest AR I was able to find.

6. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    J&G sales is out of AK's.I just went to there web site and they only had the PSL in stock.

7. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    DPMS has a bare bones AR in 308 for around 900.00. Thats what i would get.

8. Texas Patriot

Texas Patriot Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Seems that nobody has really answered your question yet. I have both and I like the AK for self defense as a short range urban type weapon. The SKS is generally a little more accurate, though the difference in accuracy is meaningless if you plan on house-to-house type operations. If you need an all around gun, for hunting, self defense, etc, then the SKS might be right for you. But I prefer the AK with high cap mags where accuracy is good enough and firepower and reliability is top notch.

But I will probably grab my M1A SOCOM in .308 for a SHTF rifle since I like the way the .308 acts when it hits the target. The SOCOM is short and has virtually no recoil. With a 20 round mag, and an EoTech sight, its a good set up for me.

9. Shaolin

Shaolin New Member

Sep 9, 2008
    I would get a brand new Saiga in 7.62x39 in 16" barrel. Later down the road you can convert it over to an AK or leave it stock. To me its like having a modernized SKS.

10. seattleducati

seattleducati New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Austin
    AK over SKS for onve very good reason, LOADING. For the most part (and yes I know there are a few Norinco sks's that accept AK mags) you'll have 10 rounds with an SKS, then use stripper clips to reload. With the AK all you do is drop the mag and load another. As for accuracy, they're both about equal, and I think the AR group has brainwashed the general population with "AK's are unreliably inaccurate," that's just not true.
    If you "need" to kill a human sized object at 300 yards or less an AK will do the job just fine.
    Replacement parts are also going to be cheaper and more obtainable than an SKS as well.