Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yeah, I do have more info on that. I will, however, defer to a recognized authority, Col. Charles Askins.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/24/demon-rum-and-charles-askins/

As I've said before, the ISSF didn't previously ban alcohol and it was an open secret that some shooters would have a drink before competing at the Olympics or ISSF feeder events. I haven't read the rules in years so that may no longer be true. (ETA - The Olympics used to offer beer to help competitors pee for their urine tests post-competition. That stopped after a pee-shy wrestler downed 20 beers, still couldn't give an observed urine sample, was very drunk, and became violent. It was a very bad scene.)

If I wanted to cheat at an NRA event, though, I'd just use beta blockers. They were the first drugs to show major help for shooters, keeping the heart rate down and steady and calming the jitters. That's why they were the first the ISSF tested for, decades ago. The NRA, though, afaik doesn't drug test.

The drawback to beta blockers? I don't know if an Olympic medal or NRA trophy is worth the possible impotence. :)

ETA: From the link above, there are several links to other sources that make for informative reading.
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I didn't start out to, it was in response to my earlier post. Forgive a sober alcoholic not wanting others to take alcohol nonchalantly.
    Understood.
    We fear what we don't understand.
    We respect or loathe what we do.

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    It sounds like if you have more than a single beer, best not carry or secure the firearm elsewhere.

Regarding beta-blockers, a small dose will do. They also work for test taking jitters. Impotence related to beta-blockers wears off when the drug does and is uncommon. One has to have that surge of blood flow to close the out-flow gates to make the hydraulics work. Beta-blockers block the same receptors that adrenaline work on and this includes evening out or out-right blocking this surge.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    It sounds like if you have more than a single beer, best not carry or secure the firearm elsewhere.

Regarding beta-blockers, a small dose will do. They also work for test taking jitters. Impotence related to beta-blockers wears off when the drug does and is uncommon. One has to have that surge of blood flow to close the out-flow gates to make the hydraulics work. Beta-blockers block the same receptors that adrenaline work on and this includes evening out or out-right blocking this surge.
    Not quite. Not at all, actually.
    Also, it needs to be a non-selective beta blocker.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...it needs to be a non-selective beta blocker.
    Could you expand on that? I've been fascinated by doping ever since I spent a few years (a long time ago, when the NRA was in charge) helping with Olympic qualifying events.

Short story - I assigned space at one event, a total of 5 spaces. There was scoring, administrative, doping, holding (where the athletes waited to give samples), and public first aid. The second group to arrive told me they were the medics and wanted to know where to set up. I took them to a 12-foot pop-up canopy that had been set aside for public first aid and, because I was being pulled 10 ways by all the people who needed direction, I just walked away. They chased me down and said that wouldn't do. They repeated they were the medics.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally, they guy leaned in and said in a low voice "We're the medical testing team" as if he wanted to make sure no one but me knew who they were.

"Oh, you're the doping team!" I shouted out, happy that I finally understood. "You get the big trailer down at the end of this road. It has two rooms. If anybody is in there, you come tell me and I'll kick 'em out."

Sheesh, they were miffed. I'd just "outed" them in front of everyone and, apparently, that was something you just didn't do.

I didn't care. I didn't see them for the rest of the event and that was fine by me.

Top Bottom