Not open for further replies.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I don't agree with the OP. I think he is very wrong in how he views the right to keep and bear arms and the 2nd Amendment. As for adding the religious stuff - I don't see why he even went there at all. He apparently misses that one of the main points of the 2nd is so that the people can overthrow the government if it degrades to tyranny as it was under the English.

I also think maybe he was purposefully trolling - to me it seems evident he was doing just that and if so then some folks here swallowed it all to easily - the bait, the hook, the line and the sinker. Yet, I see no reason to become so personally distasteful and so arrogant as some here have done with name calling and telling the OP to go back to wherever (who knows he could be a pure blooded natural born Texan - would not surprise me in the least with some stuff I have read in these forums, then again he could be the dreaded NY'er or CA type). Still though, regardless of where he is from and even if the purpose of the opening post was to troll a bit, it amazes me the amount of vehemence in the form of personal attacks that some few aimed at him when he did not start by personally attacking you. Really sometimes, the threads here resemble this all too much:

I must admit though, both the OP and some who replied could be the Frenchman.
    Capitol Armory ad

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    OP dropped the hook in the water and hightailed. I think he caught every fish on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I did with my 'Split the Gates' posting.... well, at least the dropping the hook part. (Not so much the hightailing part).

But this fellow beat me. I only got 43 postings saying how much they didn't care about the Gates' divorce!

brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    That's what I did with my 'Split the Gates' posting.... well, at least the dropping the hook part. (Not so much the hightailing part).

But this fellow beat me. I only got 43 postings saying how much they didn't care about the Gates' divorce!

I was tempted as hell. You almost had one more, but I just kept scrolling.....

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Been following this group for a few years - I think. Usually commenting on revolvers and the like. I stay away from the political side usually, because it is obvious from the responses here that differing view points are not appreciated. Texas Gun Talk is an echo chamber of sorts. We just want to read/hear what we believe and get attaboys for making inflammatory comments and the like. I get it.
    But anyway, I have been a carry permit holder for at least 10 years. I have been a gun owner since sixth grade.
    When it comes to the Second Amendment, I support it, but I accept that there are aspects of it that are open to interpretation. Most only cite the last part of the amendment - the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Rarely do I see a reference to the very first statement of the amendment - "A well regulated militia being necessary for a free state." That is definitely up for interpretation, at least in my mind.
    And the right to bear arms is not a God-given right. Can't find that in the Bible anywhere.
    With that being said, and I know many or most on this forum are already seething with rage if they have read this far, I am not a fan of unlicensed carry in Texas. The current system works well. Very well in my mind. Carry permit holders, as a class, are the most law-abiding group of citizens in the state statistically. When I encounter an open carry person, it is highly likely in my mind that the person has passed a couple of background checks when he bought his/her firearm and when he/her obtained their carry permit and likely a few times in between. Of course there is not guarantee of such or that the person is legally carrying his firearm on his hip. But I will imagine or hope for the better.
    This Texas-based writer and a correspondent for the conservative magazine the National Review makes a lot of good points that open-minded gun owners should at least read.
    Constitutional Carry - Maybe Not
    As Texas red neck already told you and I agree with do your homework and make sure you understand why the second amendment was made and what the those words meant to them.

You can come on here and say we don’t take kindly to different view points. Know what I say? If the view point is wrong and gets called out with facts then what do you do? You see the light and accept it. Our country doesn’t have a gun problem. It has a value and people problem. Whenever I read or hear “I support...but...” I just know what’s coming is just a bunch of bs that is intended to put a band aid on the problem.

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    HK has returned. Same MO. Same cowardly actions. If you are going to put it out there you need to debate it and / or defend it. Good luck. History has spoken for over 200 years. No debate there.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OP has been a member for 10 years....
    And HK had a completely different style and occasionally made good points. It took a very long time for him to get banned, meaning he was either a master troll or just barely a bad enough fit that he couldn't make it in the community.

The OP cannot be described in those terms.

ETA: It looks like Pops1955 and I disagree. :)

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    OP has been a member for 10 years....
    I stand corrected. Just saw the New Member part.
    NOT HK, but still needs to study more and feel less.
    Any study of the Constitution and the Bill or Rights MUST be accompanied by the historical context provided by the Federalist Papers.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    When you have your right to self defense take away you get this:
    1620259337650.png

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I wanted to chime in again. We (my family, young kids) have been listening through the audio book for "guts and glory: the American revolution" it is a bit of a laid back story about the time period from about 1700 to early 1800 following mainly the events leading up to and through 1775 to the end of the war.

It does alot to tell the individual stories of all involved. It is good enough that my 9 year old was asking to hit play as soon as we could.

I have also been a student of the Era and read alot about the lead-up and events of.. it also included a personal journey to see battle road with my own eyes.

Any person that can say they support any amendment but has no idea of the mindset of the founders. Alot of those men risked and gave literally everything including life to put that ink to paper. There were people from all over the world that came here, fought here and died here.... for US.

"A republic if you can keep it"

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    A little backstory: My Mother's Father's side of the family emigrated to the USA from Lithuania(Russia) in 1895 to escape the Czars Troops who were taking the Czars tax cut and my Great grandfather took issue and killed a couple of the Kosaks troops(Cossacks) The family that stayed (lived in Poland on Lithuanian border) later in the 1939 - 1941 range were rounded up and sent to either Treblinka or Auschwitz. They Auschwitz members were Polish Catholics and became experiments about genetics and to the best of records died there. Two great aunts along with others on Mother's fathers side. NONE of the family who remained survived the war. Mother's mothers side were Polish Hungarian border people and ended up being exterminated because they were Catholic educators. None of them survived. The big tell here is they were all denied arms for self defense by both the Czars, the Polish government and the Nazi government. History will not repeat itself here.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    National Review hasn't been conservative since Buckley passed. Texas Constitution states only gun laws allowed by the state are to prevent crime. Now you get to prove that any of the state's laws actually prevented a crime. "geez officer, I was going to ... but the law says not to do that so I didn't'. Yea, right.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Texas Gun Talk is an echo chamber of sorts....

Guess you missed all the threads on...

Bills of sale

Glocks

BBQ

Politicians

Snakes

Calibers

Trucks

Plastic vrs Metal and wood

Best burger joints

Open carry

The thing is, you want to place restrictions based on your beliefs. Your intentions are probably good, but the fact you think your opinion is better than the Constitution words is just an interpretation based on your paradigm, and really doesn’t fit all situations.

Politicians do the same thing...and they are generally limited in thinking too.

TexasBB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Is something really a right if the average person cannot exercise it as they choose? The 2nd is a constitutionally guaranteed right that is not dependent upon your comfort or thoughts.
    Also, the Bible is pretty clear about the right to self defense. Note that the disciples already had two swords, which must have been concealed because they had to show them.

““But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one! For the time has come for this prophecy about me to be fulfilled: ‘He was counted among the rebels.’ Yes, everything written about me by the prophets will come true.” “Look, Lord,” they replied, “we have two swords among us.” “That’s enough,” he said.”
    ‭‭Luke‬ ‭22:36-38‬

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I believe it's an inherent right. Not that I don't believe in God, but rather a right bestowed upon me for being a citizen.

No matter what Biden may think or say, "We The People" are the citizens, and the government operates at the behest of it's citizens.

A well regulated militia is the citizens and is there to maintain a free state.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom