• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You know one thing you might option to do is to just get renters insurance. Not only will it cover your guns but also you other valuables (sp?) like your tv, couches, computer. Plus in case of a fire it will help you there as well. Its pretty cheap and well worth it if you thing about it.

When it comes to the guns make sure to take good pictures of them with a white sheet of paper wth the Make Model and Serial number on them in case they do get stolen. Keep the pictures somewhere safe like maybe your work locker or even in a fire proof safe.

If renters insurance is anything like homeowners insurance......guns, cameras & jewelry are only covered up to like $1000.00.
    Anything over that requires a seperate rider.
    Venture Surplus ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If renters insurance is anything like homeowners insurance......guns, cameras & jewelry are only covered up to like $1000.00.
    Anything over that requires a seperate rider.

You got the wrong company....Germania insures based on value of guns against your total insurance - if someone broke in and stole my collection, my $80k claim would be based against the $240k max value of my "contents" policy, and therefore paid. If the house burned down, my claim would have to be added to the value of the contents, then paid as long as it didn't exceed that $240k limit.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Probably the same one wonderin' why it's locked......<SEG>

We used to have a lock on our fridge to keep the kids out when they were little. The boys would wake up at like 0430, get out of their cribs and get eggs and start throwin' em...eggs are difficult to get out of carpet, just sayin' LOL

kerryp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Bastrop
    Well the cabinet I ordered arrived yesterday and I unboxed it today. I am actually pretty impressed considering the cost. The qulality is good, the thing weighs about 50-60lbs, has a nice finish on it and it should make a good closet cabinet for protecting my firearms...One of these days I will purchase a good fire safe, but for now, this will do to keep the guns locked up. I will bolt it down in the closet where I can patch up when I move out. Here are a couple pics )sorry for quality, but I got lazy and used the iphone):

522c3c0f.jpg

cc00b3e4.jpg

31a39488.jpg

lsdude025

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    Consider a Contractors job site storage box. They are available in a variety of sizes. I stood a Knaack 48" box upright in a closet and anchored it to the wall.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    Well the cabinet I ordered arrived yesterday and I unboxed it today. I am actually pretty impressed considering the cost. The qulality is good, the thing weighs about 50-60lbs, has a nice finish on it and it should make a good closet cabinet for protecting my firearms...One of these days I will purchase a good fire safe, but for now, this will do to keep the guns locked up. I will bolt it down in the closet where I can patch up when I move out. Here are a couple pics )sorry for quality, but I got lazy and used the iphone):

Go buy a couple hundred pounds of chilled lead shot in bags to line the bottom of that safe and you are good to go. Doesn't take up much space, and negates the need to bolt it down.

sgtjab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    dallas
    Get a Stack On safe they are cheap and not to heavy to get up stairs (no fire protection) but you still get security....

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    now just dont end up like me
    dad bought a 20 gun safe and within a year we filled it up then i went out and bought a 8 gun stack on and now its full
    plus we have a full walk in at the ranch

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You got the wrong company....Germania insures based on value of guns against your total insurance - if someone broke in and stole my collection, my $80k claim would be based against the $240k max value of my "contents" policy, and therefore paid. If the house burned down, my claim would have to be added to the value of the contents, then paid as long as it didn't exceed that $240k limit.

I may have to give them a call....thanks!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I think it's worth a shot - we switched from USAA to Germania w/everything but the Harley (like USAA, Germania really doesn't do well w/m/c endorsements.... I've never regretted the decision.

redfred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    La Porte
    I can't remember which store I saw it at, but about a year ago I saw a bed that had the box springs replaced with a wooden box that had a hinged lid. You just put the mattress on top of the box, and you coudn't tell it was not a regular box springs. It was upholstered on the outside, and the inside was made up into reinforced sections with the cutouts to hold guns. You had to remove the matress to access the guns, so it wouldn't be a great choice if you needed the gun in a hurry, but it was probably the last place a burglar would look.
    Now that I think about it, I believe the setup was in a motor home or travel trailer, which makes sense, because they tend to use every square foot of space pretty efficiently.
    Even if you can't find this exact item, it might not be too hard to build.

mrseatle

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    SW Houston
    I agree, the Cabinet in the closet, bolted to the studs is pretty good, for apts and small collections. I use a small Craftsman chest for pistols, welded to a 700 pound weight,

but I found this at wal-mart, I think it would be kinda neat for pistols. It locks too.

0089251600188_215X215.jpg

Walmart.com: American Furniture Classics Locking Handgun Cabinet: Hunting

This one is at Wal-mart too, kinda pricey, but interesting!

0089251600196_215X215.jpg

Top Bottom