• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Took some time today to visit a few gun stores and check inventory for kicks.

Went into a local, non-chain gun shop and watched a counter person do something I found pretty stupid and walked out without talking to them or saying anything. Probably the most stupid thing I have ever seen in a gun shop.

The customer in front of me brought in what looked like a Beretta 92 9mm (or clone), could not tell. He wanted to sell or trade it, and told the counter person it was loaded. The customer was holding the gun in a non-threatening manner, kind of like he did not know a lot about guns.

The young man (early 20's) behind the counter took the gun from him and started racking the live rounds from the gun into the air and catching each one (showing off). No, he did not remove the magazine and launch just the chambered one, he wanted to try and catch the entire magazine full as he extracted them into the air over his head, lining them up on the counter after he caught each one in sort of a victory celebration. All the while pointing the gun down the length of the counter where the other employees were working and ambivalent to his behavior. He was smart enough to index his finger, however I could not tell if the pistol had been placed on safe or not (not that I would find that an acceptable excuse for the behavior).

I turned and walked out disgusted at his behavior and the fact that the other adults working in the store said nothing.

Probably should have stayed and chewed his ass out in front of everyone, instead just left............

I don't think I am a prude when it comes to this stuff, but damn!:mad:

(rant over....................)
    Guns International

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Wow!

Too uptight?! Not at all. I would've had a word with his manager. I've spoken to managers over simple things like not safety checking every firearm before handing it to a customer.

BTW, what gun store was it?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Sorry, but I don't want to post that. They are trying to make a go if it and I may cool off and go back in and talk to the owner. I see him from time to time at gun shows.

If you are in the Houston area I will PM you with it under the condition that you don't post it in this thread.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Customer should not have handed the employee a loaded weapon to begin with...... I'm very surprised the employee didn't chew the customers ass for doing so..... Employee sounds like a complete idiot for handling the situation like a douchbag...... My neighbor "who means well just don't know any better" took his handgun to a local GS to possibly trade or sell. He did not unload the weapon, further more it had a full mag with one in the chamber. He handed the firearm over to the guy at the counter, upon inspecting and discovering it's condition the employee sternly informed him to never ever do that again.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I would have flipped out! That is how people get injured if not killed. Have you read the articles about folks injured at gun shows just this weekend by ND's?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Have you read the articles about folks injured at gun shows just this weekend by ND's?

Yes, I actually talked to one of the officers of the HGCA about NDs this weekend at length there. We discussed the shotgun incident. Reliant seems to be looking for an excuse to ask them to leave.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry, but I won't frequent gun stores, shows or ranges that don't follow the most basic of gun safety rules.

I don't see any problem in telling folks what store this was, so others could avoid it as well. I have no qualms in doing the same, there are enough inherit dangers associated with firearms, idiotic behavior such as this only lead to "incidents" that reflect badly on the entire community.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Took some time today to visit a few gun stores and check inventory for kicks.

Went into a local, non-chain gun shop and watched a counter person do something I found pretty stupid and walked out without talking to them or saying anything. Probably the most stupid thing I have ever seen in a gun shop.

The customer in front of me brought in what looked like a Beretta 92 9mm (or clone), could not tell. He wanted to sell or trade it, and told the counter person it was loaded. The customer was holding the gun in a non-threatening manner, kind of like he did not know a lot about guns.

The young man (early 20's) behind the counter took the gun from him and started racking the live rounds from the gun into the air and catching each one (showing off). No, he did not remove the magazine and launch just the chambered one, he wanted to try and catch the entire magazine full as he extracted them into the air over his head, lining them up on the counter after he caught each one in sort of a victory celebration. All the while pointing the gun down the length of the counter where the other employees were working and ambivalent to his behavior. He was smart enough to index his finger, however I could not tell if the pistol had been placed on safe or not (not that I would find that an acceptable excuse for the behavior).

I turned and walked out disgusted at his behavior and the fact that the other adults working in the store said nothing.

Probably should have stayed and chewed his ass out in front of everyone, instead just left............

I don't think I am a prude when it comes to this stuff, but damn!:mad:

That employee is a complete frickin' idiot.

People like this should be addressed and dealt with severely and abruptly. When people are doing unsafe with firearms, it demands an immediate response.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    The customer was holding the gun in a non-threatening manner, kind of like he did not know a lot about guns.

I would have told him somethig. Not only is he being an idiot, he is also teaching someone who in your words "did not know a lot about guns" and now probably thinks thats the way to clear his firearm. This employee has probably done more damage trying to look cool rather than doing it the right and safe way.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I don't see any problem in telling folks what store this was, so others could avoid it as well. I have no qualms in doing the same, there are enough inherit dangers associated with firearms, idiotic behavior such as this only lead to "incidents" that reflect badly on the entire community.

This.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Customer should not have handed the employee a loaded weapon to begin with...... I'm very surprised the employee didn't chew the customers ass for doing so..... Employee sounds like a complete idiot for handling the situation like a douchbag...... My neighbor "who means well just don't know any better" took his handgun to a local GS to possibly trade or sell. He did not unload the weapon, further more it had a full mag with one in the chamber. He handed the firearm over to the guy at the counter, upon inspecting and discovering it's condition the employee sternly informed him to never ever do that again.

This! Stupid customer and even stupider employee. Manager should have been notified. All of our local gun stores have huge signs on the door stating all weapons must be unloaded and cleared before entering. (Of course if you are CC.......doesn't apply.) When I carry a weapon into any gun store for any reason.......I lock slide back if auto, break open shotguns or open cylinder on revolvers. That's just the way I was raised concerning this issue.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I would have told him somethig. Not only is he being an idiot, he is also teaching someone who in your words "did not know a lot about guns" and now probably thinks thats the way to clear his firearm. This employee has probably done more damage trying to look cool rather than doing it the right and safe way.

+1

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    That's crazy.

I was in bass pro around thanksgiving with my family because my mom wanted to go feel a couple handguns. The guy behind the counter kept not checking the guns before handing them over. And every time I would intercept the exchange and check the gun. After about the 3rd time I said to my mom(loud enough for him to here) that you should check every gun every time after I said that he started checking then handing them across.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    As a teacher, I had to blend in to my community. When everyone knows you, where you work and what you do, that's the way to survive. I'm not saying that I kissed rump because that would be a lie. I just didn't go off on someone when the opportunity arose. Now that I'm retired, that has all changed. I don't give a rats butt if people like me. I'm glad that a generous number of people do think that I'm worthwhile enough to be called a "friend" but I don't pander to make that number increase.

I would have cut loose on the subjects that you described because I would have been in range and that makes it MY business. If I had been in someone's home, it's not my place to correct them in their home. I would leave, pronto. No, you weren't being too sensitive.

That's how I see it.

Flash

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Speak up whenever you see an unsafe act!

Just call out "Cease Fire, Freeze -- You are committing an unsafe act!"

Followed by "I want to speak to the owner NOW!!"

The life you save might be your own.

Top Bottom