• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    Just spitballing here.....

What would be involved in spinning up an ammunition factory? This factory would need to make all the consumables, ie, use raw materals far enough back in the chain that they are not currently in shortage.

What is the BATF paperwork like, time for approval, etc.

What does the production line look like? how hard is it to make cases, primers, powder, etc..

How deep is the currnet ammunition shortage, would such a factory be viable?
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Type 06 FFL is what you're looking for. Probably have to get an ITAR license, too. Plus all the stuff you need to do to setup a corp or LLC or DBA or whatever it is you want...

It's easy to make cases, primers, powder, etc.. You just need all the expensive tools and raw materials ;)

I suspect the current ammo shortage will last another 9-10 months. If you plan on getting operational before the current shortage is over, I don't think you'll make it. It could still be viable, however... That's all up to you.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I know a guy. He bought out an established ammo manufacturing business. Lock stock and barrel. 3 months later he's still moving equipment and hasn't produced a single round. Not trying to squash dreams, just bringing some reality to the party. PS. Texas Rangers called him a month ago hunting for practice ammo. They're hurting too.

recoveringyankee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Jollyville, TX
    3 months later he's still moving equipment and hasn't produced a single round. Not trying to squash dreams, just bringing some reality to the party.

ugh, too bad he couldn't keep producing in place. All my life I have dreamt of running a public service ammo factory, stop crushing my dreams man!!! :-)

just kidding...

I know the realities of starting a business and the failure rate, just not a lot about the ammunition business. I am curious about what it would take to get started, mostly as a mental exercise.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    The machinery alone is expensive. Ammo load worldwide machines run $30,000-$40,000 a piece and used machines aren't all that cheap either. The machines come with 1 caliber plate and each additional caliber plate is $4200. Then you have to fine components which are dried up right now.

You are going to need at a minimum of $1,000,000 in insurance, a building w/additional insurance, people to run the machines, people to inspect, package, and ship the ammo.

Paperwork is another issue, you have to know where every round of every lot # ends up in the event of a bad lot that needs to be recalled.

You have to find distributors in addition to selling to the public to buy your ammo and you have to keep them happy because no customers equals no money.

I'm actually looking into doing this right now but I'm looking at all the angles before I drop $100,000 in machinery. There is a lot more details I go into but I'm lazy and its quitting time so I'm going home.

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    HK I'd be willing to lend a helping with internal moves machinery rigging is what I do. Assuming you get it off the ground that is.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I know of a fellow who bought a high capacity reloading machine. Cranked out thousands of rounds and sold them at gun shows.

Did not see him for about two years. Next time I saw him, he was selling only factory ammo and reloading components.

Asked him where he had been the last two years.

He said he had to "take a break."

Said his reloading operation was shut down because he did not have a license to "manufacture."

Top Bottom