Join TexasGunTalk

AMMO RESERVES STOCKS; A REALIZATION

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by leVieux, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Andyd

Andyd Member

Mar 11, 2018
    I go shooting at least twice a week and shoot a variety of handgun calibres at every visit. I will not be going shooting with the shelter in place order and already have withdrawal symptoms, despite airgun shooting.

For self defense, I do not need more than a couple of hundred rounds. That is all I was being issued and that is more than my grandfather had when he was fighting at Verdun and also more than my son, a Dallas cop, has.

I have enough ammo to go shooting normally for almost one year without restocking and in all honesty cannot understand how people that are into guns cannot have prepared for yet another ammo shortage!

Glenn B, leVieux and Axxe55 like this.
  2. leVieux

leVieux Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    All true, but the topic was not total amount, but variety.

leVieux

Glenn B likes this.
  3. Andyd

Andyd Member

Mar 11, 2018
    I understand that and think that I addressed the point of the variety.

A point I want to bring up now and clarify is, why are people hoarding ammo ( and other things ) beyond what they normally use in a reasonable amount of time? I mean especially people that nromally shoot a couple of hundred rounds each year - and that with all guns and calibres combined.

I had the displeasure to live through two coup-d'etats in the Third World with civil war like conditions. If a hundred rounds don't carry you through the fight, you probably have not practiced right:).

leVieux likes this.
  4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    You must not have an ammo closet....

TxStetson likes this.
  5. Andyd

Andyd Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Me? I keep it in the garage in commercial shelves. That's where the components are, too.

6. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    I didn't just buy ammo for myself. I intend to hand it down, as my descendants may have trouble getting ammo. And ammo has a long shelf life.

roadrunner, Axxe55 and Charlie like this.
  7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If this, why this?

toddnjoyce likes this.
  8. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I definitely learned my lesson from panics of the past. I think around 2009 I got into reloading. At first to save some money reloading for the colt 45. Now I have dies,powders, primers, bullets and the know how to reload for over a dozen calibers.
    In spite of it, I buy low and in reasonable quantity when the price is right. I like to spread it out over a few locations but my grab n go stashes are 9mm and 5.56mm.
    More importantly, thanks to an order coming in just ahead of the chaos, I have enough components to keep plinking for about 3 years without a hiccup. That may taper off if a real shortage continues but for now, I'm good to go for a while.
    My only ammo realization is...it feels great to be prepared.

deemus and Darkpriest667 like this.
  9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    The virtue signaling in this thread is thick with righteous indignation. Okay we all acknowledge how much smarter and clever you are, feel better now?

Why do you feel compelled to tell anyone else how stupid they are if they aren't as prepared?

I get bragging a little on your stockpiles but what's the point of your smug little lectures?

Just an observation.

Axxe55 likes this.
  10. Andyd

Andyd Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Because I shoot thousands of rounds a month, as I had explained before. When I renew my annual range membership for $500 plus tax I want to make sure that I do not have to worry about ammo availability ans stock up several times per year.

Axxe55 likes this.