An old colt needs work

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by txguy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. txguy

txguy New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    D/FW
    Just wondering if anyone knows of gunsmith in the D/FW are that could fix an old .32 Colt pistol. It was manufactured in the 1930's.
    thanks

2. HighVelocity

HighVelocity Member

Mar 5, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I don't know any reputible smith in the area. After a couple of bad experiences, I decided that it was cheaper (and safer) for me to buy the tools and parts required and read a book or search the internet to find out how to accomplish what I wanted. More fun too.

If there's no way you could do the work yourself, there is only one fellow that I would trust to do the work but he's not exactly "in the DFW area". http://www.crawleycustom.com/

3. machinisttx

machinisttx Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Good Colt 'smiths seem to be getting pretty rare. There is a gunsmith who posts regularly over on arfcom, and he seems to be pretty well versed with Colts. His name is dferriswheel I believe.

4. txguy

txguy New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    D/FW
    Thanks for the info, I just might try it myself. I believe the hardest part is finding the actual parts though.

5. HighVelocity

HighVelocity Member

Mar 5, 2008
    DFW, TX
  6. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    .32 cal Colt from the 1930's is that a 1903M Hammerless Pocket Pistol?

I saw something on the 1911 forum about a smith for those who rebuilds them to better than new condition. In the Colt forum or others fourm
    Unless my memory fails. Keep in mind that my cell phone has more memory than I do.

7. brainiac

brainiac Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    I was pleased with the work that Williamson in Hurst did on one of my 1911 carry pistols. I'm on he road right now but can get you his contact info after I get home tonight.

8. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com That is his web address. His name is Dave Sams.

9. txguy

txguy New Member

Mar 4, 2008
    D/FW
    Thanks for all the info. Sorry it took so long to answer but I just got the pistol back from a local gunsmith. After six months he had 0 luck finding the parts to repair.
    It is a D.A. 32 model. It is from the 30's as far as I know, been in my family a long time. Reminds me of the pistols bad guys always wound up throwing at superman when they ran out of ammo (lol).

10. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Have you tried Buddy Chapman over in Lone Oak?
    903-447-2546
    He built my EIC hardball gun.