• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Alright before I had my oil pan replaced my truck ran about 40 at highway speed some times it would creep to about 45 or so. I noticed driving to work tonight that its hitting 60 and cruising at about 50. WTF could they have done to do make it do that? Im going to check my oil level again later tonight after all my patients are sleeping. Im just worried ontop of everything else now the pressure in the engine going to blow some gaskets out. Thats the last thing I need. oh and my service engine light is on now too......Looks like I have another day of arguing with dumbasses in my future.
    Venture Surplus ad

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Could just be the oil they put in is a heavier weight than you previously used.

No idea on CEL. see if you can get the code read at Vato Zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    The first thing that comes to mind for me is that they put the wrong kind of oil in it.
    also the ownwers manual might say what the operating oil presure should be, orr a quick google search for your vehicle might tell you the max and min. The check engine light could be becase the oil presure is too high.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Thats what I was thinking too but im not real sure. ill search google. All I know like I said before usually it runs at 40. I think they said I have a 6 month warranty on the work. Usually I run 10w 30 who knows wtf they put in it.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    My truck is a 99 with a 4.8 Vortec by the way. Ive come to find out the 99s had all sorts of problems...Funny thing is I wasnt going to buy this truck I found a lifted 90s era single cab ford with a pretty much new crate motor and trans with 20k miles I was going to buy but I came home and this thing was int he driveway...bought with MY money and I wasnt even there it had over 100k miles and was used to haul feed and horse trailers(its a half ton)...awesome deal there. oh and he overpaid for it. Things been nothing but probles since day 1.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Keep an eye on it for a couple days, but it's not so high that you should be overly worried, in my opinion.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Alright I appreciate it. I was planning on having my buddy hook his reader into it to see what the light was about. figured it couldnt hurt to ask about the oil pressure though. I bet they put a different weight oil in but I will keep an eye on it. I always try to ask when im not sure just so Im not chancing anything. I can do repairs and all but I dont claim to know everything a certified mechanic does lol.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Alright I appreciate it. I was planning on having my buddy hook his reader into it to see what the light was about. figured it couldnt hurt to ask about the oil pressure though. I bet they put a different weight oil in but I will keep an eye on it. I always try to ask when im not sure just so Im not chancing anything. I can do repairs and all but I dont claim to know everything a certified mechanic does lol.

If you did make those claims, you would be just like most of the guys that work on cars....

Just kidding! Mechanics, please don't take that personal.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Nah I'd never try to say I know everything there is about it not anywhere close. Im always learning everywhere i go. I'm not your average 22 y/o I actually enjoy listening/learning to people who are willing to share info.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Alright before I had my oil pan replaced my truck ran about 40 at highway speed some times it would creep to about 45 or so. I noticed driving to work tonight that its hitting 60 and cruising at about 50. WTF could they have done to do make it do that? Im going to check my oil level again later tonight after all my patients are sleeping. Im just worried ontop of everything else now the pressure in the engine going to blow some gaskets out. Thats the last thing I need. oh and my service engine light is on now too......Looks like I have another day of arguing with dumbasses in my future.

They had the oil pan off? How did they seal the new pan? Did they use a new gasket, or did they go the idiot route and put silicone on there? There are oil passages through the oil pan on that truck, and I think (I'm going off memory here) that if you were to partially plug one of those passages with something, it would read high oil pressure. I do remember that the alignment of the oil pan and gasket to the block is critical because oil is flowing through the pan into the block,though.

Where did you have it worked on? You might want to stick your head under there and make sure you don't see any silicone sticking out between the block and the pan. If you do, don't drive it, or you might kill your engine through oil starvation.

Actually saw a Saab engine taken out because some doofus had done this exact same thing - a main oil passage wound up blocked with silicone and destroyed this lady's engine. Found the problem when we were tearing it apart...

I've seen numerous other problems on other cars that trace back to idiots using silicone sealant where they shouldn't have, or because the morons simply used way more than they needed to.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The factory gasket SHOULD have been replaced, but it a metal/o-ring design and the pan is a cast piece with a machined surface. So, there are dowels in place for proper placement and I have seen folks reuse old gaskets. Like I said, it's not a good practice, but it has been done with success.

But right above the oil filter is a "cap" or fluid passage routing block with two bolts holding it. Was that removed for any reason? If so, there are two different gaskets that go behind that. One is for an engine/vehicle equipped with an oil cooler and the other other gasket is for ones without.

If you have an oil cooler and the wrong gasket is used, then the cooler is by-passed and is probably the cause for the increase in oil pressure.

Edit:

Found a couple photos of a pan and gasket used on LSx type vehicles. This one is specific to an F-Body

Pan1.jpg

Arrows are illustrating an unrelated point.

See the gasket?
    See the back right corner?
    See the oil passage holes side by side?
    See the cap I was describing just to the right?

If your vehicle is equipped with an oil cooler (I'm betting it is) the wrong gasket was used.
    The increased volume, line size and line length causes a slight decrease in oil pressure.
    By-pass it and the oil pressure goes up.

It won't hurt anything to run it, it's just by-passing an oil cooler. But it should be fixed properly.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I know that there are two different cap designs, too. One with and one without an oil temp sensor (the one in the pic is without).

Funny enough, most of what I know about that oil pan design comes from when I made them (and the caps) at my last factory job...

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Yep, LG Motorsports makes a block that bolts on in place of cap.

Has ports on it for -10 AN fittings to add an aftermarket oil cooler.
    Has a 3rd port for an oil temp guage.
    Used a gasket for a 6L truck motor with oil cooler.

I saw a 10psi drop in oil pressure when I did it on my road race car.
    Freaked me out till I did the calcs on pump head loss due to the lines and volume.

Top Bottom