Lynx Defense

And THIS is What Firearms Liscensing and Registrations Gets You....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Vision of the future if we aren't careful.

this isn't the future, its the present and it is going on in IL and all over.
    Just about any VET who has even spoken to a VA Doctor about stress or anxiety is on a list and many of them are getting letters that they must not posses firearms.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Who is to judge if someone is mentally unstable? Maybe they could include people who drink alcohol or old folks. Who decides and where does it stop?

Flash

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not real sure why "mentally unstable" got thrown into this conversation from the start. Illinois FOID card revocations are usually for good reasons; a couple of the people in the article were forced to give them up because of drug convictions, for example.

I know that when my ex-brother-in-law was convicted in over 50 cases of fraud, the conviction was enough to render his CHL in Texas null and void. I was mightily disappointed that no LEOs, apparently, are tasked with going out and making him hand the thing over.

As for Illinois, I think their whole system is screwed up and they shouldn't have FOIDs at all. However, as long as Illinois has FOIDs, I have no problem with the police taking them away when someone breaks the law.

Now, as to mental illness - we're walking a knife edge. Since GCA 68, the standard has been "adjudicated mentally incompetent". What worries me is back-door gun control by delegating the authority to make these judgments to someone outside a courtroom. If that happens on any wide scale, all those minor notations in the medical records of veterans could become problematic, to say the least.

One safeguard against that sort of back-door gun control is making sure that no registration (or, realistically, no "registration as a side effect of some other 'gun safety' program") ever happens. On that score, we must remain ever vigilant.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    “The system is broken,” the sheriff said
    He must be the Sheriff of Obvious County

hmm, I wonder why Texas and other states who don't try micro manage their citizen's lives don't have issues like these? ;)

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    I would rather take my chances with a "mentally ill" person having guns than trust the government to decide who can and can't own one.

Rights cannot be revoked. Period.

Also, I'd rather take my chances with the terrorists than trust the government to snoop through my emails and phone calls.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Now, as to mental illness - we're walking a knife edge. Since GCA 68, the standard has been "adjudicated mentally incompetent". What worries me is back-door gun control by delegating the authority to make these judgments to someone outside a courtroom. If that happens on any wide scale, all those minor notations in the medical records of veterans could become problematic, to say the least.
    That is my concern as well, especially since we're talking about an area of medical practice where much is subjective. It isn't hard to imagine the government deciding that relying on the courts in this particular matter is inconvenient in the age of Obamacare, where the government has a controlling interest in the U.S. health care system and a lean toward more restrictive gun laws. One can easily see how poorly (or cleverly?) written laws, combined with broadly interpreted "symptoms" described by a patient, could lead to a legal path where you may lose your right to own a firearm if you say the wrong thing to the wrong doctor. This could have the effect of discouraging people from seeking treatment if they're afraid they could lose some of their rights by doing so, and that only makes the problem worse.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I totally understand....the only reason that I brought it up was because it was mentioned in the article. And I agree, these are God given rights that extend to all people. I also agree with most folks here that CONVICTED violent criminals, eventhough they'll get them anyway, should not be able to own or carry.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    If my memory is correct, way back in school history when the British rolled the land and feared a revolution was brewing, there was ban on firearms and confiscation was done to disarm the public. Most were forced to give up there guns.

But our four fathers were very smart. They made the appearance to comply by only giving up there old worn out muskets and cheap non accurate guns.
    What the British didn’t know was the smart ones hid there better weapons and ammo so they would have something to fight with.

A gun registration only gives the government a list of who bought guns and where they live. Makes it kinda easy to round them up if they so choose.
    Now they want to make it mandatory to register every gun sold, even privet sales.

I buy a few street guns that are not registered “at least to me” and there hidden on a ranch where no one can find them.

If they come for my registered guns, I have 2 choices, barricade myself in and make them come pull them from my dead hands. Or comply and turn them in.
    You’re not going to be able to fight off the ATF, FBI or local law enforcement if they want your guns.

So remember the past and be ready.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    So you post your secret on the Internet? LOL

You get that you're not really anonymous right?
    Yes i get that. It’s not like it’s a secret, after all it’s all in the history books.
    My point being they cant just up and sees every weapon upon request and expect to retrieve every one of them.
    One could clam that the gun was sold and you no longer possess it.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    PS - There is no gun registration in Texas.
    Not yet, but do you really think all legal gun purchases are not compiled into a data bank somewhere?
    When you buy any gun in a store, there is a background check, where do you think this data goes?

Top Bottom