• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I'm looking for a good round for my newly built AR. My barrel is a 1x9 twist, 16.5", 5.56. I got a decent grouping at 50 yds with 55 grain winchesters (about 1.5" 10 rounds. I haven't test many rounds through an AR except in the Marine Corps and I couldn't tell you what I was putting through that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you think I should stick with the 1.5 grouping, let me know that too.

By the way, I'm shooting peep sights. Haven't put a scope or red dot on yet.
    Capitol Armory ad

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    I'm picky with my ammo and don't do the ultra cheap stuff. You can get a can of 420 rounds Lake City XM855 5.56x45mm 62 grain full metal jacket for about $150 delivered online. I like this the best. If you're budgeted minded you can get a box of American Eagle for about $5.99 per box of 20. Cabela's currently running this price and if you spend $50 the shipping is free. You can also get these at Walmart if they have it in stock, but they usually sell fast. I find that both of these run really well on all of my systems.

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I had an issue with American eagle the last time I shot. A few of the rounds from 2 different boxes misfired. Firing pin was hitting it but not going off. I Put a few of them through a second time and they would shoot then. I've never had that problem with their pistol ammo.

atxbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Palmetto state armory had 500 rd cases of M193 for less than $150 shipped a couple of weeks ago. I bought 2 cases for $294 shipped.

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    Yeah I got a can of the M193 from Palmetto too. It's a good deal for $150 shipped and arrived quick. Probally the best I've seen online. Also came on stripper clips.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    A good round for what?

Seriously . . . . This is a broad question!

Shooting 500 yards? You have to see what works best. Black hills 77gr, a 69gr match load

Hunting hogs? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

Killing humans? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

Killing a human behind a windshield or other barrier? Silver state armory 70gr TSX or better yet the 55gr TSX

Hunting deer? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

zombie invasion? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

Shooting groups at 100yds! Whatever match ammo works best. Federal gold medal or black hills etc. Shoot several from 55, 69 to 77 and see what your barrel likes best.

3 gun and carbine matches?

A. Short range stuff. I shoot wolf 55 or 62 and I am switching to freedom munitions 69gr or 55 gr brass case. Hornady steel case is a backup.
    B. Long range . . . 69 gr handloads

3 day defensive carbine course? Probably wolf poly 55gr or 62gr. Or whatever brass is cheap

Day long machine-gun or social shoot? Wolf poly 55 or 62gr

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    A good round for what?

Seriously . . . . This is a broad question!

Shooting 500 yards? You have to see what works best. Black hills 77gr, a 69gr match load

Hunting hogs? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

Killing humans? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

Killing a human behind a windshield or other barrier? Silver state armory 70gr TSX or better yet the 55gr TSX

Hunting deer? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

zombie invasion? Silver state armory 70gr TSX

Shooting groups at 100yds! Whatever match ammo works best. Federal gold medal or black hills etc. Shoot several from 55, 69 to 77 and see what your barrel likes best.

3 gun and carbine matches?

A. Short range stuff. I shoot wolf 55 or 62 and I am switching to freedom munitions 69gr or 55 gr brass case. Hornady steel case is a backup.
    B. Long range . . . 69 gr handloads

3 day defensive carbine course? Probably wolf poly 55gr or 62gr. Or whatever brass is cheap

Day long machine-gun or social shoot? Wolf poly 55 or 62gr

Well. That about answered anything I would need ammo for. Thanks for the info.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Your 1 in i twist will probably not stabilize the 70 grain TSX nor the 77 grain HPBT. The 62 grain and lower TSX are supposed to stabilize in the 1 in 9, and most of the people I've heard can run the 69 grain lead bullets without a problem.

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Your 1 in i twist will probably not stabilize the 70 grain TSX nor the 77 grain HPBT. The 62 grain and lower TSX are supposed to stabilize in the 1 in 9, and most of the people I've heard can run the 69 grain lead bullets without a problem.

That's helps a lot. I was mostly looking for what bullet for the twist. Sorry I didn't put that clearly.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

I disagree. I think the 1:9 MIGHT stabilize the 77, which is why I suggested that SGTBrummy try it.

The general theiory is that 1-in-9" stabilizes 45gr-75gr, possibly up to 77 if you're lucky.

So try the 77s and see what the barrel will do and what ranges it will do it at.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    In my WOA 1:7 18" barrel, the 69s are its favorite which is why we are handloading them instead of the 77s.

I want to try the 77s at 500 and see if they beat the 69s at that distance.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    A couple of comments:

From the Ammo Oracle: "At typical .223 velocities, a 1:9 twist will stabilize bullet lengths equivalent to lead-core bullets of 40 to 73 grains in weight."

One guy on another forum stated that his 1:9 performs best with Black hills 77gr. Go figure.

Give it a try and see what happens.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    That's helps a lot. I was mostly looking for what bullet for the twist. Sorry I didn't put that clearly.

Now, one thing to consider: the TSX's are long and that may affect their performance in the 1:9 barrel.

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I disagree. I think the 1:9 MIGHT stabilize the 77, which is why I suggested that SGTBrummy try it.

The general theiory is that 1-in-9" stabilizes 45gr-75gr, possibly up to 77 if you're lucky.

So try the 77s and see what the barrel will do and what ranges it will do it at.

I will try the 77. My first thought was to try to get a round about guess for my gun without spending $$$ on all sorts of ammo. Looks like that was wishful thinking. Lol. I just need to bite the bullet, no pun intended, and try all options to see what my barrel likes.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

I'm not dissagreeing with you, but why risk wasting money on ammo that won't run in your gun.

The box of 70 grain TSX I loaded up recommends 1 in 8 or faster twist rate on the box. It worked great on the two deer I've shot. I think the 55 or the 62 grain models would have worked just as well.

The 69 grain SMK have a great reputation for accuracy. I just don't think there is any benefit from the longer bullets at an introductory level.

Your right. He could buy a box, see if they will stabilized. If they work, great. If they don't he could just sell them.

Top Bottom