• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Just curious; what would you do if a Shepherd came running to you, in what appeared to YOU to be an aggressive manner?

Or is this just another, "I don't know anything about being a cop, have never been in such a situation, but I want to talk shit about them from the comfort and safety of my home," thread?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    This is the third one in a year in the greater austin area and I love my dogs like my children so I tend to pay attention. Two of them were officers responding to the wrong house as in this case. Did you also read that the damn warrant was for EXPIRED VEHICLE REGISTRATION. Its ridiculous theyre wasting tax payer money serving these type of warrants instead of real issues like publiv safety. The cop shouldnt have been there to begin with. The yard was fenced in, the dog was in his own yard. A warrant for an expired vehicke registration should not give the officer free license to enter someones property and shoot their dog.

So lets recap all the mistakes the officer made:
    Wrong house
    Wrong person
    Serving an expired vehicle registration warrant
    Entered someones fenced in yard
    Shot the dog that was free-roaming the yard before he entered

If the circumstances were flipped on you, you wouldnt be irrate?

While I've never been a police offer when I was 12 I was run down by a lab/mutt mix so I know what its like to have a dog come after me. With all the less than leathal options cops have why do they automatically go for the gun? They've got a taser and pepper spray. Hell I was told in a recent thread pepper spray would be a better dog deterrent than a gun for my wife.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    That's what animal control is for. The idiot nearly killed a kid. If anyone but a cop did this they'd be facing felony charges.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Or is this just another, "I don't know anything about being a cop, have never been in such a situation, but I want to talk shit about them from the comfort and safety of my home," thread?

I get what your saying.. and I agree.
    But that doesnt change the fact I think he was wrong..

LEO's can come into my house to serve a warrant, but they have to identify themselves so I don't shoot them for kicking in my door and thinking it was a bad guy.. Cant really identify yourself as a LEO to a dog.

IMO.. the dog had every reason to behave aggressively.. As a LEO you have got to deal with enough dogs to know and understand the dynamic a dog adds to your job. It was probably a knee jerk reaction and I don't fault him for that.. but you don't just enter someones back yard all willy nilly. Warrant, LEO or not.. taking the life of another, even a dog, because you were careless isnt right. (and yes IMO he was careless)

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I get what your saying.. and I agree.
    But that doesnt change the fact I think he was wrong..

LEO's can come into my house to serve a warrant, but they have to identify themselves so I don't shoot them for kicking in my door and thinking it was a bad guy.. Cant really identify yourself as a LEO to a dog.

IMO.. the dog had every reason to behave aggressively.. As a LEO you have got to deal with enough dogs to know and understand the dynamic a dog adds to your job. It was probably a knee jerk reaction and I don't fault him for that.. but you don't just enter someones back yard all willy nilly. Warrant, LEO or not.. taking the life of another, even a dog, because you were careless isnt right. (and yes IMO he was careless)

He is saying the same thing he always does. "It's a police officer. Shut up, cause they chose to do this hard job. They are all good and should be above questioning."

That's a load of shit! To even think about defending this particular situation shows you are dead-set on defending police. This is a family pet in their own yard. I hope they sue the shit out of Leander and win! If what happens has no criminal consequences, it damn well better have civil consequences.

I wrote the Leander Chief of Police as well as the Mayor and Council Members. These people have a responsibility to make this right for the family. The damn article says that some non-profit is trying to get funds to help pay for the medical bills. How the hell is this even a question. The City of Leander is responsible for that without any question whatsoever.

** Here's my caveat. We are all assuming that this article is accurate and expressing our opinions based on that assumption. If the story is incorrect (which from what we've seen, is entirely possible), it is possible that my criticism of the City of Leander, the police department, and the officer is unwarranted.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    He is saying the same thing he always does. "It's a police officer. Shut up, cause they chose to do this hard job. They are all good and should be above questioning."

That's a load of shit! To even think about defending this particular situation shows you are dead-set on defending police. This is a family pet in their own yard. I hope they sue the shit out of Leander and win! If what happens has no criminal consequences, it damn well better have civil consequences.

I wrote the Leander Chief of Police as well as the Mayor and Council Members. These people have a responsibility to make this right for the family. The damn article says that some non-profit is trying to get funds to help pay for the medical bills. How the hell is this even a question. The City of Leander is responsible for that without any question whatsoever.

** Here's my caveat. We are all assuming that this article is accurate and expressing our opinions based on that assumption. If the story is incorrect (which from what we've seen, is entirely possible), it is possible that my criticism of the City of Leander, the police department, and the officer is unwarranted.

Lol! I hear you.. and I get what your saying. But I think you may be putting words in his mouth when you get into "they are all good and should be above questioning.." I don't know TI at all.. but I respect his opinion, and his loyalty to his (what I assume) brothers in law enforcement.

I do understand where he is coming from, and I think a lot of people misconstrue his statements as a defense for the actions of LEO's. I don't see it that way..

What I see is a man who is tired of people generalizing all police as bad, simply because they are police. Its understandable, many if not most would do the same thing with respect to their groups and subcultures. Things like.. Mexicans all drive ugly ass trucks, black guys all wear clothes to big for them, all cops are cowards (peaceful streets guys say that all the time drives me nuts), kidnap a white kid and it gets national news, guys with guns are all nuts.. While there is some truth to it.. and it makes for great jokes.. few appreciate it.

In law enforcement the term "Totality of Circumstances" gets used a lot.. (please correct me if I am wrong, I am not a LEO) basically it says that there is no single deciding factor and one has to look at all the information available to the office at the time of his decision, much like the officer had to do at the time the decision was made. It seems like it bugs the shit out of TI when someone says something without considering all the facts available.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. dont bust his chops too much. He may not be the most polite guy ever, and I dont always agree with him, but he's got a good point.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In this case, I'm not sure what point he made. Didn't see any cop bashing, only bashing of this particular officer.

I do kinda get tired of the "your not a cop, you wouldn't understand" line. Got nothing against LEO in general, much of my family is, or had been, in law enforcement.

Haven't read the article so not gonna comment on this particular case just yet.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I think a lot of people misconstrue his statements as a defense for the actions of LEO's.

He almost always defends police, regardless of their actions. Doesn't mean I don't respect him (I consider him the prime source on here for legal knowledge of firearms laws in Texas), just calling him out for defending a really screwed up scenario where the cops fucked up and somebody's pet is dead.

What I see is a man who is tired of people generalizing all police as bad.

I believe him to be in the opposite corner of these people. To them, cops are almost always screwed up and they lump them all together. To him, they are almost always in the right and one shouldn't question them because they haven't been in there shoes.

I have a friend who is a LEO-hater. When I'm with him, he calls me a blind defender of police, because he takes every situation where they screw up and says all cops are a bunch of XXXXXs, XXXXXs, and XXXXXs (substitute your own offensive insults here). They aren't. But when one screws up (like this scenario), he/she and his department management (if it defends them) deserves to be bashed.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    In this case, I'm not sure what point he made. Didn't see any cop bashing, only bashing of this particular officer.

I do kinda get tired of the "your not a cop, you wouldn't understand" line. Got nothing against LEO in general, much of my family is, or had been, in law enforcement.

Haven't read the article so not gonna comment on this particular case just yet.

Well shit.. you got me there.. I didnt see any cop bashing this time either, but stand by my statement.

Lookin forward to hear what you think.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    He almost always defends police, regardless of their actions. Doesn't mean I don't respect him (I consider him the prime source on here for legal knowledge of firearms laws in Texas), just calling him out for defending a really screwed up scenario where the cops fucked up and somebody's pet is dead.

I believe him to be in the opposite corner of these people. To them, cops are almost always screwed up and they lump them all together. To him, they are almost always in the right and one shouldn't question them because they haven't been in there shoes.

I have a friend who is a LEO-hater. When I'm with him, he calls me a blind defender of police, because he takes every situation where they screw up and says all cops are a bunch of XXXXXs, XXXXXs, and XXXXXs (substitute your own offensive insults here). They aren't. But when one screws up (like this scenario), he/she and his department management (if it defends them) deserves to be bashed.

Well you've been here longer than me and I aint mad at you for calling him out.
    Difference of opinion, and I can respect that. Hell mine may change some day.

One thing we agree on.. this cop screwed up.

ScorpionHunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Driftwood
    I can understand being upset about the dog, but the reporter never asks WHY Leander police got the address wrong. Did someone actually go back to the database and figure out what got screwed up? That's the bigger issue for me. And it doesn't take a stretch to imagine a round the cop shot at the dog hitting the six year old around the corner.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ok, read the article now.

Officer seemed to be doing what I would consider normal. Knocked on the door, went around to check the back.

Nobodies dog acts aggressive. Even if it attacks a kid the kid must have done something:rolleyes:

Dogs can have a very different personality around someone in a uniform, be it cop or FedEx guy. Not saying this dog was aggressive, but it's a possibility.

Cop serving warrant, 2 dogs come charging around corner. That doesn't leave much time to decide if they are friendly. I jumped a 5' gate when a Rottweiler mixed himself known while working one day. Owner swore he would have just licked me but waiting to see could have gotten me eaten. I ran while I still had a good lead.

So, I don't really think the cop was all that wrong in his action. He had to make a decision FAST.

I agree that the investigation needs to go back to how the address got changed between what was in their system and the actual warrant.

I'm sure the family is very upset and I'd be willing to bet what the officer feels isn't much better. Hopefully it won't stick with him and cause him to hesitate when it counts. He got put in a bad situation due to someone's clerical error and now he is catching the shit that's being thrown because of it.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    That's a load of shit! To even think about defending this particular situation shows you are dead-set on defending police.
    Exactly what ive been saying... Ive tried to give him the benefit of the doubt multiple times too..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Seriously guys, read the article again.

The cop didn't read the address wrong, he was GIVEN a wrong address.

He was in the yard. He had knocked at the front and was confronted with 2 German shepherds closing fast as he rounded the corner.

A big mistake was made, but I don't believe he made the wrong decision based on what knowledge he had at the time.

I could ask why the two adults in the house didn't answer the door and clear the whole thing up thereby avoiding this whole situation. Probably didn't here it, but who knows.

Cops make mistakes from time to time, some cops are just shitheads on a power trip. This one just found himself in a bad situation that I don't see any way someone else might have avoided in given the knowledge he had at the time.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wouldn't have any problems seeing whichever department is responsible inputting the wrong address being sued for all expenses relating to the treatment of the dog.

Top Bottom