• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I agree its a shitty situation but the officer shouldnt be absolved of all responsibility. There are two things I find crazy about this story. One, that he was serving a warrant for an expired vehicke registration and two, that the city isnt stepping up and paying for the vet bills. I could understand not oaying if the cop was at the right house but since it was the PDs error for wven being there in the first place it should be a no-brainer that they should foot the vet bill.
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What could the officer have done differently? What would you have done differently?

He was told to serve the warrant so he went to serve the warrant. I'm not seeing how that is his fault. I can't say that I would have reacted differently.

Glad we can have a civil discussion about it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No doors were kicked in. He knocked on the door then wet around to check the back.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Being at the wrong house and serving a warrant for registration is squarely on the shoulders of the PD, not the individual officer. In my opinion serving warrants for expired vehicle registration is a gross misuse of PD resources as I'm sure they're stretched thin like everyone these days. Not to mention it puts officers in more potential dangerous situations like this. Thats what traffic enforcement is for, hell the truck sitting in my garage has a 2 year expired registration because its been motorless for 3 years.

With the other dog shootings lately they had to have had more discussion about dealing with animals. No one really knows what happened but seeing how the owners of the dogs are in tje business of training and taking care of dogs as well as having strangers in and out of their home. Id tend to bet it was probably just an over-reaction on the officers part but we will never know. The fact that the little kid was right around the corner makes things worse.

Hopefully this incident causes the PD to reassess their allocation of resources as well as talk more in depth about the handling of animals as they should have after the two APD incidences earlier this year. The officer should have every right to protect themselves but this seems to be an all too reoccurring story lately.

If it was me I'd already have retained a lawyer and be seeking quite a bit in damages. Might get the PDs attention that they need to take their line of work more seriously since mistakes like this put innocent people (and animals) lives at risk. Totally unacceptable to me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like crazy shit to me. I am pro L/E but knocking on doors or a warrant service over some expired license plates sounds like complete bullshit. That is still a civil infraction, right? Shooting a man's dog in his own yard, even if he didn't pay a fine, is absolutely nuts. Just being there is a tremendous waste of resources. I gotta agree with itchin', if they have time for this, they have too many cops with nothing productive to do.

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    I thought it is a Constables' job to serve non-violent warrants

I believe Municipal PD's still serve their own Class C misdemeanor warrants. Back in the stone age if you failed to appear in court for a traffic violation or other offense for which you were issued a written citation, you were then charged with Failure to Appear and the warrant issued was for that offense. The news media left all that out of the stories I've seen about this incident.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I think I might have a warrant for a trafic violation I failed to pay. Better go put up a sign on my front door to inform the police that my dog is only running at them to say, "hi".

Top Bottom