• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    One of these days they'll call us out for an elimination weekend.

http://www.kens5.com/news/texas-new...feral-hogs-standing-in-roadway-200737341.html

SAN MARCOS, Texas -- The damage is incredible -- an SUV smashed to pieces and a woman covered in bruises.
    "I suffered a concussion, and I'm black and blue all over," Jackie Anderson told KVUE.
    Anderson, her husband, daughter and five-week-old granddaughter were traveling south on SH 130 near San Marcos last Friday, when the unexpected happened.
    “I was resting in the car kind of in and out of it, and all of a sudden I hear my husband scream 'Oh my god, oh my god,” said Anderson.
    Anderson’s car hit a pack of 25 to 30 feral hogs standing in the middle of the highway.
    “They got caught up in the wheels like marbles,” she said.
    The SUV rolled 10 times, and “went over 300 feet. The debris field was a half a mile long."
    All four people inside, including the infant, survived. However, Anderson’s dog didn’t make it.
    “She died in my arms,” Anderson said.
    Now Anderson wants to warn other drivers before it happens again.
    "Eighty-five miles an hour and crashing into 30 hogs was a death trap,” she said.
    There is a wildlife warning sign a few hundred yards before the accident site, but Anderson said it’s not enough when you’re driving the speed limit.
    “There’s no lights out there, there's no warning," she said.
    Nick Dornak with Plum Creek Watershed tells KVUE the feral hogs on the toll road are a huge problem.
    "We're concerned about it all over the county; all over the state we're seeing these issues more and more," Dornak said.
    They're working to find a solution, but since it's a new highway it will take time for the animals to adapt.
    “They're confused. We've taken their home, and they're confused and they're just standing in the middle of these roads,” Anderson said.
    Increasing the danger for drivers on the fastest road in the country.
    Texas SOT

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    i just went down this road today actually. i was travveling south and loved it.

Saturday at noonish, not a single car in sight. i can see how a pack of hogs would be o the road at night.

WX1hBK2.jpg

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I wouldn't be doing 85 on that road. There are long strips of I-10 so flat and straight you could do 100+ and it would be safe. But not on a road with hogs roaming around. I don't get it. People are gonna get hurt, and then all the nanny state panty waists are gonna say "See people can't be allowed to drive that fast!" Put an 85 speed limit from Ft. Stockton to Van Horn.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    My wife and I travel to Brownsville all the time. And we quit taking the smaller roads especially at night. We would see hogs on the side of the road just hanging out. Saw a couple of very huge ones that were belly up. I hope the people that hit those pigs are alright.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I'm glad those people are ok. They had a huge crash. I'm surprised their injuries were not more severe.

Hogs need to be hunted. They are invasive, not "confused".

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    “They're confused. We've taken their home, and they're confused and they're just standing in the middle of these roads,” Anderson said.
    Increasing the danger for drivers on the fastest road in the country.

It's not their "home", these hogs are feral farm animals and they're a destructive, invasive species that breeds faster than we can eliminate them. They have no habitat here.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I did all the soils inspections when that road was being built and suffice it to say, theres a ton of wildlife down there. Many of us tried to voice our opinion about the danagers of that road but they went unheard and now we are seeing the consequences. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that we were constantly running hogs off during contruction with tons of heavy equipment that cars arent going to do anything to scare them off. I told my wife she isnt allowed to drive that road at night.

Ill have to talk to one of the guys still doing punch lists down there and see if he can get some contact info on some of the hunts theyre allowing down there. Would be a fun TGT meet lol.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't be doing 85 on that road. There are long strips of I-10 so flat and straight you could do 100+ and it would be safe. But not on a road with hogs roaming around. I don't get it. People are gonna get hurt, and then all the nanny state panty waists are gonna say "See people can't be allowed to drive that fast!" Put an 85 speed limit from Ft. Stockton to Van Horn.

No reason for a speed limit at all on that stretch.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    i just went down this road today actually. i was travveling south and loved it.

Saturday at noonish, not a single car in sight. i can see how a pack of hogs would be o the road at night.

WX1hBK2.jpg

Because SH-130 goes from nowhere to Austin. Sure, I could go from San Antonio to Austin on it, if I felt like driving half way to Austin on 35, then half an hour out of the way, and THEN paying for the privilege.

No idea what they were thinking building that road...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I went to school with a guy in Kansas who tangled with three barnyard hogs in his 59 Ford. He hit one pig, swerved and got the other two. The Ford was built like a tank but it was no match for those pigs! The worst part was that he hit the pigs in an "open range" county and had to pay for the dead pigs, too.

Flash

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I dont think that even dropping the speed limit to 50 mph at night would help. They should put up solar powered lights and fencing. I really don't see why they couldn't even do that. Even just put up fencing back along the tree line so it doesn't make the road confined.

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Can't cost as much as the highway. Shoulda been done to begin with.

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

Agreed entirely. Barbed wire and T-posts would be fairly cheap, if not especially durable (especially if/when some jackass plows his truck into it at 70 MPH). Triple-high guardrails would work, but that'd be a good bit more expensive.

This may be an odd analogy, but I see fencing the road the same as buying a gun safe. Would you rather leave your stuff unprotected and at risk, or would you rather spend $2,000 on a good safe? Personally, I'd prefer buying the safe. May not be cheap, but it sure as hell beats the alternative.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Spoken as someone with no fencing or livestock experience. Barbed wire ain't gonna keep 'em out, scooter - it takes heavy netting - and to have any REAL effect, it's gonna take netting with a lay-down panel to keep 'em from burrowing under it - similar to coyote fencing. Hogs ain't dumb - they'll learn to avoid the roadway over time, far better than any fence will ever keep 'em out.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Barbed wire and Tpost would do nothing to keep hogs out. And who is gonna (want to) install 40 miles of barbed wire and Tpost?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    FYI, barbed wire doesn't do jack against hogs; you'd need netting and they may even tear that up or go under.

40 miles of hog proof fencing in BFE? No wonder our taxes are insane with all these sort of "helpful" ideas.

Maybe people can just slow down at night and look out for hogs. Maybe throw up a few signs warning about hogs on the roads. If you're driving through the country at night you should be looking for animals anyway. Whitetail deer will tear up your vehicle too and I've seen them jump the high game fences with my own two eyes.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom