• ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Okay, just one more question, and I'll never ask anything else ever again. Honest. I swear. (... with fingers crossed behind my back...)

As I look into this more and more, the idea, or suggestion, that "satx" had about the Aimpoint kicked in a bit and I've been looking at Reflex sights some. As well as the idea of looking into the ATN X-Sight from 35Remington. They both got me to thinking. If the reflex sight with the "picture window" view, and the unlimited eye relief would be a real good fit for me, can a square, or rectangular magnifier also be used with it? Is a square type magnifier even made for the application for which I propose? Kinda', but not quite, like a computer monitor magnifier. Just on a MUCH smaller scale.
    Venture Surplus ad

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Even the square magnifiers usually have a circular convex to them in the middle, making the magnification part still circular, just in a square frame of glass. Either that or they are cut horizontal into the convex making only the center usable. So I don't think you can have that application in scopes because you lose too much real estate or it's heavily distorted.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Makes sense. But, could a "glasses" concept be applied as a magnifier? They are relatively flat, not counting the face curve. Granted, distance distortion would play a factor but, is that a possibility? I've never seen a magnifier like I'm asking about, so I don't know if they exist or not. I'll most likely get a 'standard' fold away magnifier or just get a scope to fill my needs. This idea just popped into my head one day, so I figured I may as well ask about it.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Makes sense. But, could a "glasses" concept be applied as a magnifier? They are relatively flat, not counting the face curve. Granted, distance distortion would play a factor but, is that a possibility? I've never seen a magnifier like I'm asking about, so I don't know if they exist or not. I'll most likely get a 'standard' fold away magnifier or just get a scope to fill my needs. This idea just popped into my head one day, so I figured I may as well ask about it.
    Like eyes glasses? I don't know. Even most eye glasses only have image correction /magnification on center unless you pay extra and even then it isn't that good. Eye glasses also use lense thickness for magnification rather than lighting and convex, so a 4x scope would be about probably be like 4 inches thick of glass.

Top Bottom