• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should we have an Antique weapons forum?

• YES

Votes: 9 56.3%
    • NO

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

texcross

Well-Known
    Admin
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Sanger, TX
    Someone suggested we add a Curio & Relic section for the discussion of the older sporting and military surplus arms? Thoughts?

Not trying to overload the site, rather taking a members idea and seeing what everyone else thinks :)

THANKS!
    Target Sports

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Folks might want to take to putting C&R in those thread titles for a time to see how popular the topic is. I'm not sure how those discussions are different from any other rifle and pistol threads, though.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Folks might want to take to putting C&R in those thread titles for a time to see how popular the topic is. I'm not sure how those discussions are different from any other rifle and pistol threads, though.

+1

I have to agree with Sam. Also, I think there are plenty of forums for just that.

That being said, I am down for a C&R section. I'd like to see whats out there and maybe get some milsurps themed range days going.

Here is something to get this going.

View attachment 26178 SVT-40

View attachment 26179 View attachment 26180 Steyr Hahn

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    Doesn't really matter to me. I rarely pay attention to which sub-forum topics are in now. I just click the "new posts" button and see which topics i might find interesting.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Just to note, there is a difference between a Curios & Relics firearm and an antique...

C&R firearms are defined in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478.11 as those "...of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons." To be recognized by ATF as a C&R firearm, a firearm must fall into at least one of the following three categories:

- Firearms manufactured more than 50 years prior to the current date, not including replicas
    - Firearms certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum that exhibits firearms as curios or relics of museum interest
    - Any other firearms that derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category requires evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

Federal law defines guns manufactured before 1899 as "antique," and they are generally unregulated in federal law. They may be bought and sold across state lines without a FFL. The only exceptions are short-barreled rifles and shotguns, and machine guns, which are regulated under the National Firearms Act of 1934. Unlike C&R guns, antique guns can be re-arsenalized, sporterized, re-barreled, or re-chambered, yet they will still retain their Federally exempt status. Even if every part except the receiver is replaced, a pre-1899 firearm still qualifies as an antique.

(The above was obtained via Wikipedia)

I believe the desire is for the former, as we don't get a lot of discussions on pre-1899 firearms on here! :D

Now, as to whether it is needed; I honestly don't think so. We've had numerous discussions on C&R firearms in the past without it being an issue, and as stated there are other forums out there that focus on these weapons. I really don't see how having its own section would increase or improve the discussions on C&R-eligible guns...

And for the record, I am an 03 FFL holder and have quite a few firearms that qualify as C&R...

Cheers! M2

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Just my opinion and it ain't worth much..

I think there are too many subforums already..

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    TGT has long since passed the point where the number of subforums is so high that it's highly inefficient to try to keep track of anything by subforum. Yes, I'm sure a few people do but there's no way, IMO, that most people are that organized in their approach to meetin' up and shootin' the breeze, which is what TGT is at its best.

I rarely pay attention to which sub-forum topics are in now. I just click the "new posts" button and see which topics i might find interesting.

I read TGT just like GlockOwner.

If you're really interested in knowing if there should be more subforums, poll your regular site visitors on how they read. Between the "new posts" button and clicking either my name or a notification when I'm involved in PMs, that covers 99% of my use of the site. I'm willing to bet the same is true of most people who are active on the site.

Subforums, to me, are really only useful to the brand new site visitor who's exploring, trying to find out what gets talked about here.

Just my USD$0.02.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just my opinion and it ain't worth much..

I think there are too many subforums already..

Im not sure what this is called in the world of running a forum but yes. There need to be large and loose divisions. It may make logical sense to even break things down all the way to action type but then each subforum and those members become "castled".

That being said if you are into old guns you may tire of hearing about Glocks and ARs so I get that.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I actually am into older firearms...the older the better...Imho....

But I just do the recent post thing too, in all honesty...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Diablo4151
    Top Bottom