• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    6 year old thread? Why not bring it back from the dead?

Long story made short. About a year ago an old neighbor of mine had to go out of town on emergency. He asked if I could watch his 2 dogs for a week. I agreed no problem without even considering any compensation. When he returned he insisted that he repay me somehow. I said a Sub sammich would do lol, but actually declined anything. A few months later he is moving out of his house when I notice this old looking anvil in his garage. I told him I thought that it was cool and mentioned "anvil shooting". We can save that for another discussion. Another week goes by and he is completely moved out. When I get home from work sitting in front of my garage is the anvil with a note that says, "Thanks for taking care of my dogs! P. S. Don't eat the anvil." Gave me a good chuckle.

So now I have an Anvil. Best I can tell it a Columbian made in Ohio around the 1920's. I am no way an expert at identifying these, but that was the best I could find out in my limited research. Weights about 75-80 pounds I would guess. About 9 inches tall and 21 inches overall length.

From a collectors perspective. Should I clean this thing up with a wire wheel or leave it alone? View attachment 203212
    The correct answer is to always leave it alone if it has any value.

Those things aren't cheap either.

I don't know anything about their collector value but the guys that use them will pay pretty good money for the right one.
    Hurley's Gold

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    One day, Kirk, the father of one of my HS Seniors, brought his equipment to the school. The man was a famous Ferrier and Blacksmith known around the World. Many folks from the Middle East flew Kirk out to service their high Dollar horses.

We were neighbors and I sold Kirk and his son two of my dirt bikes so they could ride together. But, I FINALLY got to see him at work!

Kirk could make his anvil ring like a bell as he shaped metal. I'm no slouch at metalworking, but this man was a KING of his craft! I'll never forget seeing his demonstrations!

Sadly, Kirk was killed in a terrible head on wreck with a concrete delivery truck. The man was the best of the best!

Flash

Last edited:

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    The correct answer is to always leave it alone if it has any value.

Those things aren't cheap either.

I don't know anything about their collector value but the guys that use them will pay pretty good money for the right one.
    Seems like old anvils and old vise go for good money. I still keep an eye on deal websites for an old vise.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Good anvils are hard to find and shipping costs are not trivial. Yeah, Harbor Freight carries them, but those are Chinese anvils and they might be melted down rebar. Those old anvils are good steel and properly heat treated.

I read an article somewhere about how the Yankee soldiers went around destroying anvils during the Civil War to try to make it hard for Confederate cavalry to get their horses shod. They would beat them with sledge hammers and break off the horn. There was a time when a blacksmith was a vital part of the community.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Good anvils are hard to find and shipping costs are not trivial. Yeah, Harbor Freight carries them, but those are Chinese anvils and they might be melted down rebar. Those old anvils are good steel and properly heat treated.

I read an article somewhere about how the Yankee soldiers went around destroying anvils during the Civil War to try to make it hard for Confederate cavalry to get their horses shod. They would beat them with sledge hammers and break off the horn. There was a time when a blacksmith was a vital part of the community.

Damn Yankees.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I saw one out at Canton a couple years ago that I wanted, but refused to pay the $300+ sales price.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom