ARJ Defense ad

Any AR-15 gunsmith gurus in my general area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I have a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S Target which I purchased new back around 1992. It's a fantastic rifle and at the time I was happy to have it's 20" heavy barrel on it but now I no longer want it in this configuration. I want to have a standard 20" barrel without all the extra weight of having the heavy barrel. I know that I could just purchase a new 20" upper and run with that but I do not like the removable rear sight/handle. My XM-15 upper is the classic A2 style without the picatinny rail so I want to keep that upper but just have a new barrel for it as it seems to be nearly impossible to find standard A2 uppers without the removable rear sight/handle.

Are there any competent AR-15 gunsmiths that can easily change out a barrel? I will cover the costs of the parts and I am willing to pay a fair price for the labor involved. I am a pistol guy so I can do just about anything with a Beretta 92/M9 and a few other pistols but I only know how to use and do basic maintenance on an AR-15 rifle.

If anyone knows a good source for a quality standard 20" AR-15 upper that is only in the original A2 configuration that would work as well. I have looked but have not found one yet.
    ARJ Defense ad

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    If you decide to get rid of the heavy barrel, shoot me a price... also taking the barrel off isn't that hard. Pretty sure I have the tools.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    If I don't find a complete 20" A2 upper then I would probably sell the heavy barrel if I end up replacing it. I know the heavy barrel is chrome lined and has had less than 1000 rounds though it so it has plenty of life left in it.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I have a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S Target which I purchased new back around 1992. It's a fantastic rifle and at the time I was happy to have it's 20" heavy barrel on it but now I no longer want it in this configuration. I want to have a standard 20" barrel without all the extra weight of having the heavy barrel. I know that I could just purchase a new 20" upper and run with that but I do not like the removable rear sight/handle. My XM-15 upper is the classic A2 style without the picatinny rail so I want to keep that upper but just have a new barrel for it as it seems to be nearly impossible to find standard A2 uppers without the removable rear sight/handle.

Are there any competent AR-15 gunsmiths that can easily change out a barrel? I will cover the costs of the parts and I am willing to pay a fair price for the labor involved. I am a pistol guy so I can do just about anything with a Beretta 92/M9 and a few other pistols but I only know how to use and do basic maintenance on an AR-15 rifle.

If anyone knows a good source for a quality standard 20" AR-15 upper that is only in the original A2 configuration that would work as well. I have looked but have not found one yet.

You may be able to buy the tools and do it yourself for what you would pay a gunsmith to do it for you. There are a ton of videos on youtube that will show you how to do it.

Last edited:

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Take off A2 uppers with carrying handle are all over the place. Pick up a stripped one and build what you want. You could easily do it yourself or even most basic gunsmiths could accomplish this.

Much better to have a second upper, personally.

This guy often has Colt and FN parts, he is good to go. https://sharkarms.com/

Here’s one on gunbroker, more expensive than I’ve seen before but that may par for the course right now. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872982651

ETA: Just noticed you’re profile says Plano. Have you contacted RifleGear and asked them? I bet they could build you one, FN barrel and all.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    At the moment building one myself is not going to be an option. I need to find a complete 20" A2 upper ready to go or find someone that can build one for me. I did not know about RifleGear so I may check them out and see what they can do for me.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    If Rifle Gear can't help, there was/is a gunsmith out on 380 heading towards Denton. Don't remember the name of the shop though.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Its not hard. I did it with my folder pistol and added the Cry Havoc takedown barrel system when I did it. You could borrow my tool or get the $30 tool from Academy. You’ll want a vice (bigger and on a good surface) and a clamp to hold the upper in place and I’ve got that, too. But would need to check if it works with the handle upper.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom