• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I was reading a thread on another board about buying guns from pawn shops. Do any pawn shops in Austin even sell guns? I hardly ever go to pawn shops, and when I have I don't remember seeing any though I admit I wasn't looking specifically for guns. Off the top of my head, I can't even recall a pawn shop that advertises firearms for sale although I've seen one listed in Round Rock on various FFL lists.

fwiw, when I was shopping for spare tools in pawn shops, I didn't find the prices to be much better on used items than Home Depot was new. From reading that other thread, it would seem the same was generally true for guns also. Thoughts?
    Hurley's Gold

Bluesman001

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Austin
    I found one on Anderson (I think) Cash America or something and they had 4 handguns and a couple shottys. All were Seriously over priced and looked WELL used.

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    Several Cash Americas do. There's one in Cedar Park that does, and some in South Austin. It kind of tracks with the neighborhood - not a negative statement, just that in areas more toward Hill Country/rural, there will be more; and where it's kind of "gang banga"-ish, there will be more.

National Pawn and Jewelry also does too.

The Cash America across from Red's does.

They have a random selection, usually the more popular or rare ones, since they have a good sense of what will move. So there is also quick turnover, so it's worth a frequent peek. And of course, the funnest part about pawn shops is that you can bargain. First, ask how long the piece has been out. If over 2 or 3 months, you can haggle, for no tax, a couple bucks off, etc. Helps to go to a round number, things like that. And also helps if you buy something else, and also pay cash. They have an incentive to move product off the shelf so they look more happening, and also it gives them more inventory to take more pawns.

All in all, it's not a bad experience, especially if you have a good eye for appraisal. One pawn shop I went to, the manager was into firearms himself, and so I could tell he made sure the firearms he sold were taken care of. So might be worth asking for the manager when you're checking them out.

Lmk if you have any further q's!

Long_Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    TX
    May I please have the name of this pawn shop in Austin? Thank you.

Well it just depends on what part of Austin you live in and how far you are willing to travel. You'll find the best deals/selection in Cedar Park area. I bought a really nice stainless PT-92 ($300 OTD) from these guys:

Best Pawn 2, 13748 N Highway 183, Austin, TX 78750-1812 (512) 258-7771 ‎

If your willing to haggle and go in the morning they will usually work out a deal with you.

going_postal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    mustang ridge tx
    i tried to buy a gun from a couple of pawnshops on congress and they told me that they would not sell me one unless i had a CHL. ( Consealed Handgun License )
    i thought that was kind of strange , but i have'nt purchased a gun in many years .

texasmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Austin
    i tried to buy a gun from a couple of pawnshops on congress and they told me that they would not sell me one unless i had a CHL. ( Consealed Handgun License )
    i thought that was kind of strange , but i have'nt purchased a gun in many years .

Odd, I'd never run into that before, and I've inquired at at least about 6 shops.

Maybe they knew about your screenname. Just kidding.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try to visit some of those places in the coming weeks. I honestly have never noticed guns in or being advertised by pawn shops in Austin.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    That cash america in cp had a rack of shotguns and one marlin model 60 that was way over priced about a month ago. The gun shop off of Anderson mill would be a better place in my opinion.

Top Bottom