• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I saw a gun someone duracoated and it looks good, but the serial # was almost invisible after covering it in that thick coating.

I was kicking around the idea of doing one but dont want to fill in the serial # with duracoat.
    Texas SOT

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I've seen it both ways: had a Para P12 done and it looks like it came from Canadia like that and a friend had an old 380 done that looked like the guy used a sponge soaked in black tar to do the job. Depends on the person doing the job.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I dont know of many any coatings that wont flow out in the serial numbers. Ceramic coating and moly graphite are the only two that apply thin enough but that aint for guns.
    The new method of engraving Sn. doesnt go as deep as the old stamp method.
    You might try putting your serial number on paper and store them. You can also use a lift method on the Sn. when coating the parts to keep it thin in that area.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I have done a number of guns and none are hard to read the serial numbers on. In fact I have a few examples that show where I have used gold lettering to highlight the number, name etc on the gun(s) which requires that you fill the depression with the gold. Only two ways that I could envision making the serial number hard to read would be 1. multiple coats, (ie digital camo) or 2. laying it on too thick.

Top Bottom