any farmers?

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Any farmers out there that wouldn't mind 1000 pm's from me?

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Not sure just yet. As it is, the land has been disc'd, is in South Texas, has 25" annual rain fall, soil looks like black gold (to me, lol). Looking for generic info atm from tractors to wells to insects, etc.. Have googled my butt off for a week and still not satisfied with the info I've found. Guns are sooooo much easier to research.

Will use the land to build a retirement home among other things.

sean_bart1

Mar 28, 2009
Greenville TX
I farm a 100 acres of hay. Not really a farmer I guess seeing how most of them I know farm 1000+ acres. But I do run a tractor for a living if that counts.

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
Poor Sean ... I'm gonna send pm's, lol

Well, we thought about becoming slum lords here in Houston. Prices for houses dropped a bit, residual income, etc.. But, I'm not really sure I want to deal with asking people for my money, insurance issues, repairs, etc.. The wife has the temperment but I don't, and I prefer to be in charge, lol.

We will want the usual personal crops and maybe a variety of trees also for personal consumption. I love avocado so I'm hoping to find some good grafting that is tolerant. I'm fairly certain citrus, pecan, mango, and coconut will grow down there.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
I am not sure what they call them in Texas, or if they even have them, but you might consider seeing if there's a local agricultural representative (we called them ag reps in S. Louisiana). Those guys were always a huge (and free) help to us back home.

How many acres you got?

DCortez

TGT Addict
Jan 28, 2009
Houston, Cy-Fair
40 that I'm looking to do something with.

I've been looking into it for a little while. We plan on having some bees, chickens, and a few things like that. Not looking to make a lot of money, but it would be nice to be self sufficient and cover the taxes. Ag status should drop the tax rate but there are still some ins and outs I'm not straight on.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Feb 17, 2009
Rockport
Well if you were looking for quite a bit smaller I'd recommend the "Square foot garden" but won't help you with the size you are looking at. good luck and if you decide to grow peppers (the hot variety) i may inquire about becoming a customer.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member