• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    Let me preface this post by saying I am at best a poor shade tree mechanic. I have a 1979 CJ5 that was running/driving until I made the decision to install an HEI. I am almost positive that I placed the engine at 0 degrees TDC, installed new distributor and now will turn over but will not start no matter what. Suggestions? Want to come over, drink some beer and help me get it started? I am very frustrated at this point, thinking of turning in my man card, etc.
    Target Sports

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    You probably have it 180 degrees out.

I thought that too. I cut the finger off of a vinyl glove, filed it with Kleene, stuffed it into the spark plug hole and turned the crank bolt until it popped out. Then I lined it up to tdc with the closest mark on the pulley. Is that wrong?

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    could be. Find the compression stroke again. stick a screwdriver or something plastic through the spark plug hole and turn the motor over by hand. The piston should push the screwdriver up, and when it starts going back down, your just past tdc.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    Still have a chance of being 180 out. The piston come to the top of the its travel twice, but only one of those is TDC of the compression stroke
    Ok, so when it pops out the glove not necessarily the compression stroke? Should I color the notchnon the pulley so if it doesn’t start I know it’s the other one?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If you know you installed the distributor lined up with TDC, but not sure which TDC, I would take the easy way out:

1. Mark the current position of the distributor rotor.
    2. Mark the current position of the crank.
    3. Remove distributor.
    4. Spin the crank exactly one full revolution and line it back up on your mark
    5. Put the distributor back in, lining the rotor up on your mark.
    6. Crank the motor, and if you were 180 out before, it'll start. If it doesn't start, you have another issue.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    If you know you installed the distributor lined up with TDC, but not sure which TDC, I would take the easy way out:

1. Mark the current position of the distributor rotor.
    2. Mark the current position of the crank.
    3. Remove distributor.
    4. Spin the crank exactly one full revolution and line it back up on your mark
    5. Put the distributor back in, lining the rotor up on your mark.
    6. Crank the motor, and if you were 180 out before, it'll start. If it doesn't start, you have another issue.
    Or just pull the distributor and turn the rotor exactly 180 from where it is now and put it back in.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    Ok, Brains..... I followed your directions. Now it sounds like it is rhythmically pushing air out the exhaust....

Thoughts? Did I have it correct before?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If I were to wager a guess, either you have the firing order wrong, the distributor is clocked somewhere other than where you think it is, or something along those lines. Do you have a timing light and timing marks on the crank pulley? That might help you at least get the distributor lined up right.

Too bad you're on the opposite end of town.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    I do have a timing light And marks. I guess that will be the next step.

The firing order I found online. Never hurts to double check though.

Top Bottom