Texas SOT

Any news on Barack Obamas H.R.45 proposal? New push by Obama with election coming up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Tatsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    Re: Any news on Barack Obamas H.R.45 proposal? New push by Obama with election coming

Yeah, I thiink I should have clarified better in my title, what I mean is that my real concern is with election year coming up, I honestly think that BO will at least light a new fire on maybe a new proposal in order to gain the votes of the Anti's. Just keep in mind that when he was running in the last election, a big deal was made about gun control. Now I also understand that with everything else going on, i.e. economy, unemployment, etc that the issue has kinda been dropped as he has a lot on his plate right now, but I still think that he will eventually push for at least the Clinton era bans that expired. A gentleman I was talking to at the gun show the other day seemed to insist that if your gonna own an AR, you better buy now, because of the same reasons I just stated above with the upcoming election year. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Re: Any news on Barack Obamas H.R.45 proposal? New push by Obama with election coming

Well of course someone selling ARs is gonna say buy it now.

Not trying to underplay your concerns though. Any chance he and his friends get a chance to diminish our liberties they try to make a run for it.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

H.R. 45 [111th]: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)

This bill never became law. This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. Members often reintroduce bills that did not come up for debate under a new number in the next session.

Funny thing about the Executive branch is they don't make laws. What we need to be watchful for is how the Executive branch plans to carry out and enforce current laws.

Robby Bush D. Ill. sponsored this bill that died in comity. Current makeup of the house there won't be any successful movement towards NEW gun control laws in my opinion.

10816-any-news-barack-obamas-h-r-45-proposal-new-push-obama-election-coming-up-400350-100px.jpeg

F@$# organizations who are saying the sky is falling over such old and irrelevant issues.

Attachments

• 400350-100px.jpeg
      400350-100px.jpeg
      39.3 KB · Views: 411

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX

Yeah, I thiink I should have clarified better in my title, what I mean is that my real concern is with election year coming up, I honestly think that BO will at least light a new fire on maybe a new proposal in order to gain the votes of the Anti's. Just keep in mind that when he was running in the last election, a big deal was made about gun control. Now I also understand that with everything else going on, i.e. economy, unemployment, etc that the issue has kinda been dropped as he has a lot on his plate right now, but I still think that he will eventually push for at least the Clinton era bans that expired. A gentleman I was talking to at the gun show the other day seemed to insist that if your gonna own an AR, you better buy now, because of the same reasons I just stated above with the upcoming election year. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Maobama already has the votes of the anti-america crowd. This is the last thing he would push because he so desperately needs to capture votes from the "independents" like he did last time.. The sheeple will always be sheeple... now god forbid he gets re-elected then it will be on..

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

I honestly think that BO will at least light a new fire on maybe a new proposal in order to gain the votes of the Anti's.

I'd say quite the opposite. Dems know what a losing proposition it is to push for major gun control. At most I'd imagine him saying something vague and weak enough to not alarm the right, but sinister enough to get the left drooling. Maybe something along the lines of, "We plan on looking into the subject of gun control after this election and see if there's anything that needs to be addressed."

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW

Maobama already has the votes of the anti-america crowd. This is the last thing he would push because he so desperately needs to capture votes from the "independents" like he did last time.. The sheeple will always be sheeple... now god forbid he gets re-elected then it will be on..

+1

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

F@$# organizations who are saying the sky is falling over such old and irrelevant issues.

+1. And you're right about the makeup of the House IMO.

Obama won't push gun control because that's an issue that only makes his base happy. This election (most elections) are about swing votes and independents. You need that base, but conventional wisdom is to try appearing moderate for the voters around election time.

Which is where we get Romney, McCain, etc.

noskilz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Houston

We need to worry much more about regulatory oversight from one of Obama's Czars or their minions in alphabet agencies. Such as Environmental trying to eliminate lead bullets. Or BATFE putting in long gun number limits. Or Health requiring doctors to report parental gun ownership. Above ground laws aren't going to be happening anytime soon. Dems won't make gun control an issue this election season.

Tatsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Arlington, TX

We need to worry much more about regulatory oversight from one of Obama's Czars or their minions in alphabet agencies. Such as Environmental trying to eliminate lead bullets. Or BATFE putting in long gun number limits. Or Health requiring doctors to report parental gun ownership. Above ground laws aren't going to be happening anytime soon. Dems won't make gun control an issue this election season.

I must respectfully disagree with you at the moment, especially after this ruling in Washington, D.C.-
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...court-finds-d-c-s-ban-ars-constitutional.html

It's coming....just a matter of time me thinks....

noskilz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Houston

I must respectfully disagree with you at the moment, especially after this ruling in Washington, D.C.-
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...court-finds-d-c-s-ban-ars-constitutional.html

It's coming....just a matter of time me thinks....

I haven't read the decision, but this seems much more analogous to Kalifornia's state wide ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds. (Although it does appear to be a Court blessing on extremely restrictive gun registration and ownership rules.) For better or worse, D.C. appears to be the legal playground for what is and isn't acceptable legislation when it comes to restricting firearms ownership. (I can only wonder if my old semi-auto Remington Woodsmaster deer rifle is legal in D.C.) This is why state's rights are so important. I don't think this decision has any bearing on what legislation the current US Congress will try to pass.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009

I know that this may sound a bit radical, but I took the liberty of revising the U.S. Declaration of Independence and bringing it into the 21st Century. When I was reading the original text of the Declaration of Independence, I started to think... "wow, that sounds a lot like what is going on today". So, I deleted parts and added some parts. It does sound a bit radical... but that's what a lot of people thought when they typed up the original text. Let's see how long it takes for me to hit the "No Fly List" with this one.

Let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Our Executive and Legislative Branch from the District of Columbia:

have called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with their measures.

have made Judges dependent on their Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

have erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

have kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies [BATF] without the Consent of our legislatures.

have combined and conspired with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving their attention to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

have imposed Taxes on us without our Consent:

have established therein an Arbitrary government based on a “living Constitution”, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these States:

have excited domestic insurrections amongst us through Unions, and have endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Islamo-Facist terrorist whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Government, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Union Workers. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the People of this great Nation, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these States, solemnly publish and declare, That these united States are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Executive and Legislative Government, and that all political connection between them and the District of Columbia, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston

I know that this may sound a bit radical, but I took the liberty of revising the U.S. Declaration of Independence and bringing it into the 21st Century. When I was reading the original text of the Declaration of Independence, I started to think... "wow, that sounds a lot like what is going on today". So, I deleted parts and added some parts. It does sound a bit radical... but that's what a lot of people thought when they typed up the original text. Let's see how long it takes for me to hit the "No Fly List" with this one.

Let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Our Executive and Legislative Branch from the District of Columbia:

have called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with their measures.

have made Judges dependent on their Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

have erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

have kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies [BATF] without the Consent of our legislatures.

have combined and conspired with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving their attention to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

have imposed Taxes on us without our Consent:

have established therein an Arbitrary government based on a “living Constitution”, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these States:

have excited domestic insurrections amongst us through Unions, and have endeavored to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Islamo-Facist terrorist whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.

In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Government, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.

Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our Union Workers. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

We, therefore, the People of this great Nation, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these States, solemnly publish and declare, That these united States are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States, that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the Executive and Legislative Government, and that all political connection between them and the District of Columbia, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

...um...

noskilz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Houston

and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do.

I'm not sure I'm ready to dissolve the United States because you're upset with the politicians in Washington, DC. If serious people start thinking this way, we will all be far worse off.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008

Bottom line is that you will not see anything like this unless he gets re-elected. And even then, he might not push it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

We already have an excellent workable government system, we just have idiots in place. Fortunately we can change frequently that by VOTING and holding people accountable.

Honestly, if people spent as much time registering voters and helping educate people as they did bitching, talking about revolution, etc we'd have very little to worry about. No time to write their Congressman but plenty of time for other activities. Unfortunately, most people will prioritize time watching TV over writing a letter that speaks to their future and that of their children (it's for the children!!! ). Not to get all "churchy" but apathy is a sin; people need to get off their @$$, get their $#!+ together, and DO something productive.

Leander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Leander TX

I doubt as said before that Obama wants to draw any attention to anything related to a firearm right now. Considering the election gearing up in January and the whole 'fast and furious' thing he has now it would be political suicide. I also have little doubt that after the election, whether he wins or not, he might use an executive order at least.

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX

Honestly, if people spent as much time registering voters and helping educate people as they did bitching, talking about revolution, etc we'd have very little to worry about. No time to write their Congressman but plenty of time for other activities. Unfortunately, most people will prioritize time watching TV over writing a letter that speaks to their future and that of their children (it's for the children!!! ). Not to get all "churchy" but apathy is a sin; people need to get off their @$$, get their $#!+ together, and DO something productive.
    This is actually what I've been trying to tell the Occupy Wall Street people. A lot of people seem to have decided they are powerless within the republic without even bothering to full participate. (Admittedly, I do understand the frustration with the inordinate power special interest monies can have on the process.)

I doubt as said before that Obama wants to draw any attention to anything related to a firearm right now. Considering the election gearing up in January and the whole 'fast and furious' thing he has now it would be political suicide. I also have little doubt that after the election, whether he wins or not, he might use an executive order at least.
    It would be politically unwise. Independents are pretty split on their support for gun control these days, with the low murder rate actually decreasing support significantly. Honestly, I just don't think he's committed enough to gun control to use an executive order to do much of anything about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeps
    Top Bottom