DK Firearms

Any of yall bigger guys have a chest rig?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Im looking into maybe getting a chest rig but don't know of anywhere to try any I've googled but everyone seems to be short and fat. any of yall have a chest rig? I figure I can start carrying my AK or AR when I get a new vehicle and seeing of other guys posts it got me thinking.

Im thinking maybe one of these rigs I"m not big on the idea of built in pouches, but I would have room for Trauma pouches and what not. Id rather get something I could swith out mag pouches(AR/AK) if I wanted, but Im trying to keep the price down.

BCS Recon LE Chest Rig
    Gladiator Chest Rig

Oh and not to be a dick but if all you have is some bullshit comment go somewhere else I don't need this thread being filled up with replies that don't have to do with anything and my questions never get answered the way every other thread Ive posted goes.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Chest rig, or are you looking at a carrier as well? Im 6'1", 285, and it fits well, with a bunch more room to grow. Plate carrier is only supposed to protect vitals with plates, so it wont cover everything, but it works, with mag pouches.

TAG Plate Carrier FREE S&H 812350, 812349, 812346, 812347, 813426, 812348, 815824. Tactical Assault Gear Vests.

I would like to have a plate carrier but Im 6'6 330 I think all of them would be a little small. I have a long torso so it would look like a 1970s half shirt with my gut hanging out. Im also really barrel chested 54'' I think so even when I lost a bunch of weight before I still looked pretty big.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Mike,

I have been looking for a rig for a long time and have yet to buy one. The one I have been wanting is the SKD Wasatch. I read that you did not want pouches included but this is the only one I know of that may fit you. I am 6'4" @ 255 and have a 50" chest which is why I have been somewhat stuck on this rig. I have read many posts about where it is too big for most but that it is comfortable and you can carry a ton of crap. For me, I am looking to carry gear for my ARmalite AR-10 and this "all-in-one" setup may work for that. When I have looked into buying everything separately it starts getting stoopid on prices.

HSGI Wasatch Plate Carrier

HSG.502-2T.jpg

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I'll check it out, Thanks man.

If it would work for AK or AR I wouldn't mind built in mag pockets. I just know most AK pouches are too deep for AR mags

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Well checked it out and it looks like a good deal...Just wish I knew it would fit but seeing as how its made to go over other gear Im guess the XL may fit. If I order on eI hope it doesn't end up looking like a 1970s half shirt...:mad: That would suck since my torso is long

Last edited:

DU671

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Just running through the pages here and saw this, I am a big guy myself and just got a Tactical Tailor MAV and it fits great with room to spare. All MOLLE front so I set it up as a shotgun rig.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

Oh and not to be a dick but if all you have is some bullshit comment go somewhere else I don't need this thread being filled up with replies that don't have to do with anything and my questions never get answered the way every other thread Ive posted goes.

Mike, you sound more like old Flash every day! Tune the children up! I'm proud of ya!

At 6'1", 290#, I am also a plus size and did a lot of shopping for a Ballistic vest. The best supplier I found was right in the SA area. The name escapes me but you can search it. They specialize in LEO vests that are expired in date and no longer usable as an LEO item but still plenty serviceable. That had some to fit me but they were about $400.

Honestly, I did not know what a "chest rig" was until I read your posts.

A concern.............I have been shot at and when I hit the dirt, I don't want ANYTHING but skin and maybe a layer of cloth between me and the good Earth. All of that stuff increases your target size as you try to kiss dirt. It's just a thought.

I'll see if I can find that vest supplier in the Austin area and come back to post a link. EDIT...here ya go!
    http://www.bulletproofme.com/index.shtml

These guys are really sharp. Some of the vest materials deteriorate in time and some do not. They taught me the whole tale and were very helpful. I am still interested and may get one, yet.

Flash

Last edited:

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I use a Bundeswehr XL Mehler Vario System , but I'm 6' 3" 230#'s. So I'm not sure what size you would need to order to make sure of a good fit.
    It's kevlar with steel plate puches on front and back. Mag pouches on chest and lower modular system for additions. Detchable groin kevlar as well.
    ntev.jpg

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around

Mike, you sound more like old Flash every day! Tune the children up! I'm proud of ya!

At 6'1", 290#, I am also a plus size and did a lot of shopping for a Ballistic vest. The best supplier I found was right in the SA area. The name escapes me but you can search it. They specialize in LEO vests that are expired in date and no longer usable as an LEO item but still plenty serviceable. That had some to fit me but they were about $400.

Honestly, I did not know what a "chest rig" was until I read your posts.

A concern.............I have been shot at and when I hit the dirt, I don't want ANYTHING but skin and maybe a layer of cloth between me and the good Earth. All of that stuff increases your target size as you try to kiss dirt. It's just a thought.

I'll see if I can find that vest supplier in the Austin area and come back to post a link. EDIT...here ya go!
    BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests

These guys are really sharp. Some of the vest materials deteriorate in time and some do not. They taught me the whole tale and were very helpful. I am still interested and may get one, yet.

Flash

Appreciate it Roger Ill keep them In mind.

"Mike, you sound more like old Flash every day! Tune the children up! I'm proud of ya!"
    That's the only way I get answers around here lol

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I use a Bundeswehr XL Mehler Vario System , but I'm 6' 3" 230#'s. So I'm not sure what size you would need to order to make sure of a good fit.
    It's kevlar with steel plate puches on front and back. Mag pouches on chest and lower modular system for additions. Detchable groin kevlar as well.
    ntev.jpg

Thanks man Ill look into it of all the products I looked at Im thinking the HSGI Wasatch is the most promising so far, and with a good price point. They will also alter the size for an additional charge(probably need longer shoulder straps)

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Just running through the pages here and saw this, I am a big guy myself and just got a Tactical Tailor MAV and it fits great with room to spare. All MOLLE front so I set it up as a shotgun rig.

Thanks man Ill check it out

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Depends what you want from a chest-rig; as Roger so very accurately points out, you don't want a whole lot between you and Mother Earth if it's likely that you'll be using it anyplace where bullets are going to start flying at some point.

Case in point, that one rig that someone posted would leave me teetering like a damn seesaw on the mag-pouches if I had to hit the deck with it - and forget about actually doing fire-and-movement in 800 yards in that thing. Flatter is better if you're going to have to actually fight in it eg Rhodesian Bra style - but if it's just to look good on the range, then whatever makes you feel good.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    They've just about perfected the new "Big Guy Breast Rig". Now with lactation control; keeps your man milk away from your "equipment".

Coming to a gun show near you!

yde6uvah.jpg

Sent from my strangely familiar yet absolutely foreign state of mind using refried beans.

nelsonholsters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Im looking into maybe getting a chest rig but don't know of anywhere to try any I've googled but everyone seems to be short and fat. any of yall have a chest rig? I figure I can start carrying my AK or AR when I get a new vehicle and seeing of other guys posts it got me thinking.

Im thinking maybe one of these rigs I"m not big on the idea of built in pouches, but I would have room for Trauma pouches and what not. Id rather get something I could swith out mag pouches(AR/AK) if I wanted, but Im trying to keep the price down.

BCS Recon LE Chest Rig
    Gladiator Chest Rig

Im 6 5 1/2 285 my chest is 56 i use a
    5.11 VTAC LBE Vest - MOLLE Tactical Vest as they have it all the way up to 4x and i also use it for an ar and ak

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Depends what you want from a chest-rig; as Roger so very accurately points out, you don't want a whole lot between you and Mother Earth if it's likely that you'll be using it anyplace where bullets are going to start flying at some point.

Case in point, that one rig that someone posted would leave me teetering like a damn seesaw on the mag-pouches if I had to hit the deck with it - and forget about actually doing fire-and-movement in 800 yards in that thing. Flatter is better if you're going to have to actually fight in it eg Rhodesian Bra style - but if it's just to look good on the range, then whatever makes you feel good.

If I get something it wont be for the range(Im no mall ninjee), but I may use it on my families property walking around since I don't have enough pockets for the amount of ammo I shoot

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    They've just about perfected the new "Big Guy Breast Rig". Now with lactation control; keeps your man milk away from your "equipment".

Coming to a gun show near you!

yde6uvah.jpg

Sent from my strangely familiar yet absolutely foreign state of mind using refried beans.
    You can go to hell! lol

Top Bottom