Capitol Armory ad

Any ranges around Houston to rent/"Try before you buy" shotguns at?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Ok, possibly strange question. Don’t even know if there IS a place out there in the Houston area where this is possible but…

Situation is that my wife and I are looking into getting her, her own shotgun again (she had a 28ga O/U for awhile but for reasons unrelated to the gun traded it toward a pistol).

Cutting out a long block of text on the criteria that lead us to the models we like. Short version is that Trish is at least a little recoil sensitive due to a shoulder surgery, and has a slightly reduced range of motion in said shoulder. Also the gun in question will wind up having a 7+ rd capacity, whether from the factory or as a result of an aftermarket mag extension. and probably will see little to no use in skeet, trap, or Sporting clays. It'll be a "Social shotgun" as i've heard it referred to in the past.

Anyway last time we got up into the Houston area we stopped by a few of the more well-stocked shops and looked over some of the candidates that we’d narrowed things down to through browsing Davidson’s, manufacturer websites, etc. And now we’ve whittled down to three models from Remington that seem to fit her.

So, now that we’ve narrowed things down this far we’re wondering if there might be someplace in the Houston area where we can go and rent examples of the candidates for her to try out and see for herself how the LOP and recoil feel. “Can’t buy a pig in a poke” she says.

The models/configurations we found that she liked
    • 20ga 870 with factory 7rd mag and Knoxx Spec Ops stock (the recoil reducing, AR-carbine style one), She liked the Pistol grip stock said it helped her get the gun properly seated to her shoulder. Concern from My end was that the AR style stock and its amount of drop might result in it smacking her in the cheekbone, but that’s a “have to see in live fire” issue.
    • Rem 20ga Auto with youth length stock. The one she handled was an 11-87 youth slug gun, but the stock length was good. Don’t really know much about the performance of the 11-87 with “normal” 2-3/4” loads, and that’s about all we’d ever feed it, so don’t know if that’s an issue or not.
    • 1100 Tac4, stock was slightly long but that’s fixable, and a 12ga gas driven gun would probably have fairly low recoil. I assume that shorter aftermarket stocks are available or that the 1100 and 11-87 use similar/the same butt-stocks...

So anyone know of someplace to go and try a few rounds on a number of different Shotguns to see what works??

As always in such times thank you for any info or advice you care to share.
    Guns International

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    I know you can rent firearms at Spring Guns and Ammo. anywhere from $10-$50 if I remember correctly, depending on the class of the firearm.

rgwalt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Houston Heights
    The Arms Room in League City would be another good place to try. Let your fingers do the walking and call around to a bunch of ranges. Might be tough to find all of the models you want to rent.

Top Bottom